• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

360 Live & Sky Broadband

SCiARA

I remember what a pain in the arse it was to set up my BT Voyager 205 router and getting the security setting to "open" mode for trouble free online gaming.

Is the Sky router just a plug and play with no fiddling needed?

adrian3221

I remember what a pain in the arse it was to set up my BT Voyager 205 router and getting the security setting to "open" mode for trouble free online gaming.

Is the Sky router just a plug and play with no fiddling needed?

It was for me, just swapped it in for my old router and I was away. No configuration needed.

adrian3221

smokingreen

Yea worked for me no problems. I forwarded the relevant ports on the router, not sure it was necessary, but it was easy so I did it.

No problems with sky broadband and live though :thumbsup:

YOUWIN

Yea worked for me no problems. I forwarded the relevant ports on the router, not sure it was necessary, but it was easy so I did it.

No problems with sky broadband and live though :thumbsup:

thats good to hear - got an email last week saying my exchange is all ready to go, thing is i don't use wireless, i have a 4 port wired adsl router.

I don't want to go wireless either (pc to ancient) - anyway, does anyone here have sky broadband and not use the wireless router that they send you?

Oh and what speeds you fellas running @ - more importantly what is the upload speed like - can't seem to find this in all the gumph they've sent me so far.
Cheers, :)
YW

Pebb

Distinguished Member
Anybody else have anything to say about Sky Broadband, because my Dad is getting the uncapped service at 16MB most likely, which should help out hosting 16 player games.

Light_User

I've been using it for the last few days - uncapped 16mb.

It's was a doddle to set up, but playing BF2, I have been regularly getting disconnected - say two or three times a night. However, not being a techie, I don't know if the problem is Sky's or EA's.

zmoosa1

I have the mid package and haven't experienced any problems on live to date. Although I'm only on for 1-2 hours at a time.

Pebb

Distinguished Member
I've been using it for the last few days - uncapped 16mb.

It's was a doddle to set up, but playing BF2, I have been regularly getting disconnected - say two or three times a night. However, not being a techie, I don't know if the problem is Sky's or EA's.
Isn't the connection done over the satellite dish?

KoolVin

As I said I am not a techie!! :D But the router is only connected to my phone line; not to my Sky+ box or satellite cables.

Sky broadband is just ADSL provided by EasyNet (who are owned by Sky). If your exchange has been unbundled by EasyNet then you can choose between either Base, Mid or Max. If, however, your exchange isn't not EasyNet enabled then you can only elect to sign up for their Connect service (which is the same as ADSL MAX). You can check

The backbone network provided to Sky broadband customers is pretty decent, but from what I've read so far it can suffer from congestion in certain areas due to contention rates. In other words as their bandwidth is assigned on a 20:1 contention ratio at peak times your download speed and response times will suffer if there are a lot of other Sky broadband users in your area. Best thing to do is try game during off-peak hours when the the traffic over their network is reduced.

You can check if your local exchange is Sky (EasyNet) Broadband enabled by doing an Exchange or Phone search on this website.

Light_User

Sky broadband is just ADSL provided by EasyNet (who are owned by Sky). If your exchange has been unbundled by EasyNet then you can choose between either Base, Mid or Max. If, however, your exchange isn't not EasyNet enabled then you can only elect to sign up for their Connect service (which is the same as ADSL MAX). You can check

The backbone network provided to Sky broadband customers is pretty decent, but from what I've read so far it can suffer from congestion in certain areas due to contention rates. In other words as their bandwidth is assigned on a 20:1 contention ratio at peak times your download speed and response times will suffer if there are a lot of other Sky broadband users in your area. Best thing to do is try game during off-peak hours when the the traffic over their network is reduced.

You can check if your local exchange is Sky (EasyNet) Broadband enabled by doing an Exchange or Phone search on this website.

From your link I see that my broadband is Easynet enabled and I am on the Max service. I haven't noticed any lag yet, just the connection drop-outs, but I've only been playing between about 12pm-4am. I guess that that is not going to be peak hours??!!:eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom