360 intercooler. Will it stop the Ring of Death??

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just seen these on ebay for about a tenner. My 360's just karked it and my mate keeps going on about how he reckons heat killed it. Anyone know whether these things are worth it or crap?? I'll hopefully be back on the 360 scene soon and don't really want the next one dying.

I don't think anything will stop the ring of Death, it seems to be a faulty chipset which causes it.

It Depends really.

Some ring of deaths faults are caused by overheating, but not all of them. So it will help to stop any heat related faults but cannot stop it failing completely.

I think the intercoolers have a tendancy of having the opposite effect, they restrict airflow and the 360 ends up running hotter.

I really wouldn't bother :).

Not sure but it will definatley make you go deaf, it makes my 360 sound like Concorde on reheat:thumbsdow and thats in a AV cabinet with the door closed.

Had mine about 3 months and I think it's helped a little in keeping the unit cool. Mine sits on a shelf rather than in a cabinet and whilst it DOES still get warm, I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as it used to be. Additionally the one I bought doesn't seem to be as noisy as previously posted.

My view is, for the sake of a tenner....?

My launch console has been completely boxed in and has done and still is running perfectly. It gets hot just as they are designed to do. If it needed a big fan stuck on the side MS would have put one there.

Complete waste of money.

do they not mess up ur warrenty aswell regaeding microsoft im sure i read somewhere of this as its not made by microsoft

I would strongly recommend that you don't use the nyko intercooler, i bought my intercooler from game; the next day i came home turned on the 360 and they they were the 3 red lights, so i took it off and luckily it worked again:thumbsup: . Took it back to game the next day, and told them what had happened, they took it back no problem almost as if they knew it didn't work:).

If it needed a big fan stuck on the side MS would have put one there.

And if the CPU and GPU needed to be soldered properly then MS would have done that too!

And if the drive was too noisy then MS would have fitted a quiter one.

i've heard that the intercooler...

- melts to the back of your 360 - causing burn marks and making the intercooler very very hard to take off

- hogs the xbox 360 power

- Causes 360's to die

- Makes little or no difference to 360 temps...

i wouldnt get it :smashin:

also if you have the 3 red lights the intercooler or anything like that will not fix it.
The 3 red lights basically means its ****ed !

My launch console has been completely boxed in and has done and still is running perfectly. It gets hot just as they are designed to do. If it needed a big fan stuck on the side MS would have put one there.

Complete waste of money.

it might be doing fine but if you gave it better ventilation your 360 will probably last longer...

the hotter the components are - cpu/gpu etc.. the less time they will last

Oh and the 360 cooling has actually been restricted due to case of the console - if microsoft could put a big fan on the side they probably would have :smashin:

Also i dont think its designed to show 2/3 red lights and crashing, which is the case for A LOT of 360's! - and i think most problems are to do with heat.

Microsoft have made improvements though since launch. For example better dvd drives and better xbox 360 fans. (and probably other things we dont know about either)

this is a post i did earlier in the year
Stay clear of this i advise you not to get at all

This cooler broke my 360 about 3 weeks ago

After having the three lights of death i tried to take the cooler and plug out of the xbox but couldnt get the cooler off so i had to break the cooler off the
xbox(as i couldnt send the xbox off with the cooler on the back), i broke the cooler in to two pieces so that the fans and back plastic were separated from the internal plug

However i found inside the cooler theres some glue to keep wires in the correct place to the internal plug and that the wires had warmed up, melting the glue making it run down the wire sticking the xbox and the internal plug together.

After that it took two people and some heavy duty pliers to take the plug off

now waiting on xbox with those damn labels

And today my xbox was working for the first time in 2 months, so stay away from the cooler

like they said - dont bother. waste of time effort and most of all money.

Complete waste of money.

In that case, there must be absolutely no problem with xbox 360s overheating and dying. You have just confirmed this. I wonder what everyones moaning about then!

Strange!!

In that case, there must be absolutely no problem with xbox 360s overheating and dying. You have just confirmed this. I wonder what everyones moaning about then!

Strange!!

i sure hope he doesnt come back in a month or two complaining that his xbox 360 has melted or something lol :rolleyes:

give it ventilation and it'll be a happy 360 :clap:

Running a 360 in an enclosed space is really rather silly:lesson:

yeah i agree with the above posts don't bother getting one. ive heard they destroy 360's restricying airflow and such. the majority of 360 red ring problems are most probably poor soldering anyway and the intercooler wont dont anything to help fix that

I have invested in one of these for my new machine (dated 12/06) since my launch machine died. Many of the problems related to the intercooler are by people who have not connected it to the 360 and the psu correctly. Whether it makes my machine any cooler is anyone's guess but for the sake of a tenner I thought i'd give it a go. In most cases of the red rings of death it is caused by solder breaking down, obviously heat has a hand in this so if Nyko's claims of heat reduction are correct it should extend the working life of your 360.

There are many scare stories around regarding the Nyko Intercooler but they themselves have said if it can be proven that the cooler was responsible for the death/damage of a 360 they will personally replace the 360.

Dave.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom