360.....in a cupboard

dave1de

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok, with the HD drive coming soon, my project in January will be to put my 360 and drive in the side cupboard of my TV stand.

The reason? Well, HD-DVD noise. Watching films at its current fan noise is going to be damn annoying. Now the cupboard has room for the both in (and i'll put in a shelf for the hd drive) However, i reckon the 360 will run fairly warm inside it, there is not much breathing room. However, during gameplay i'll be leaving the door open so I can get to discs etc, and i'll cut a few air holes in the back. The only time it will be closed is during HD DVD playing

So, do you reckon it will be ok, and not overheat and bust itself. Do you think buying an intercooler would be a good idea? And also, can you get strips of soundproofing material that I can put on the door?

hd drive coming soon???, its already out??

and if you dont have it how do you know how noisey it is?

I have one and it is not noisey at all

hd drive coming soon???, its already out??

and if you dont have it how do you know how noisey it is?

I have one and it is not noisey at all

I have one, wrapped up for xmas :smashin: I didn't mean the drive being noisy, I meant the fan noise from the 360.

Hi Dave1de,

I have got the add on intercooler, although it works well its very loud. As I use my xbox with headphones 90% of the time its doesn’t bother me. I would be interested to know how well your idea works though, as I will be watching films with the other half when I get the HD drive.

Trev

HD playback supposedly pushes the processor as hard as gameplay, so it may well still overheat.

Yes the HD-DVD drive is almost silent :smashin: . Ruined by the noisy fans in the 360 :thumbsdow

Just made the 'shame about the 360 noise' comment to a m8 who called round 10mins ago.

Solution for me, is crank up the surround sound :rotfl:

If the 360 does indeed pump out as much hot air running HD-DVD's as it does games then you are going to need something to circulate the air if you are going to have it in an enclosed space.

Recently I moved my 360 to the top shelf of a wardrobe and I cut a big hole in the side thinking this would keep it cool but after 30 minutes of gameplay I opened the doors and the heat that came out knocked me back and the console itself felt hot enough to fry eggs.

Shortly after I installed a bathroom fan in the wardrobe and this solved the heat problem and now I can leave the doors closed and play for hours no problem, just have to use earphones now as the noise from the fan is worse than the 360 lol

it will make as much noise as it does as if on the dashboard. hardly anything!

My console still makes a fair noise on the dash.

After putting the 360 in the cupboard, there is actually more room than I thought. Not so much at the top, but theres over 10cm each side. As said I will be having the door open during gaming, and I reckon it won't over heat like that, its just when its closed during film watching that im worried about. Am I right in thinking the nyko cooler extracts heat from the console, then pumps it out? If I install a nyko sized hole in the back, will it be able to channel all the heat out like that?

I wouldnt recommend a Nyko, seems using one invalidates your MS warranty.

I wouldnt recommend a Nyko, seems using one invalidates your MS warranty.

Yeah I know there was that report of it scorching some guys power input, but thats only one person, everyone else is saying how great it is and how it does significantly reduce the temperature.

Yeah I know there was that report of it scorching some guys power input, but thats only one person, everyone else is saying how great it is and how it does significantly reduce the temperature.

Actually it was a pretty big problem and affected a fair few people. Take a brief Google.

my 360 is in a cupboard and it broke about a month back but i was playing it for 9 months. dint do too bad really....although it is still really bad let me not forget

I have mine in a cabinet with about an inch all round on ALL sides except the front. It gets warm, thats how its supposed to run, it works perfectly. Heat is not an issue on any but the very first few boxes.

I kept my 1st in a TV unit bought around september this year. It had plenty of space around it and was ventilated at the back, but used to get very warm. It only lasted around 8 weeks in there... but the nice guys at Game did a straight swap.

The new one sits next to the TV and has been fine but is still to noisy.:rolleyes:

I kept my 1st in a TV unit bought around september this year. It had plenty of space around it and was ventilated at the back, but used to get very warm. It only lasted around 8 weeks in there... but the nice guys at Game did a straight swap.

The new one sits next to the TV and has been fine but is still to noisy.:rolleyes:

Yeah mine is sitting next to the tv. My old one was pritty much silent on the dash so the hd-dvds would of not been a problem, but this one is pritty loud. It gets warm anyway, so i'll try it and see how it goes.

Well after and hour and a half of solid gaming last night, I felt the vents at the back, and yes they were warm, but only as warm as the grills on my lcd get, and my digibox, and modem and router for that matter.

Considering it will only be shut during film watching, I reckon it will be fine :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom