360 Hd DVD (Region 2 and Region 1)

maxedracer

Standard Member
Hi, im currently using the 360 HD DVD player, i dont know that much about the details of region 1 and region 2 etc. I know that HD dvd is region free atm but was just wondering, would the quality of region 1 hd dvd be the same as a region 2 hd dvd on a UK system, or would there be quality loss ?

thx

DrPepper

I would think the use the same master VC-1 codec for 99% of HD-DVD discs.
They may have different extras in some cases.UK HD-DVD may sometimes be cut.

tjhome

I bought the HD version of 300 from the states it was region coded and didn't work on my 360 HD DVD so they are slowly being introduced.

Clsmooth391

Novice Member
Does this mean that our hd dvd players won't play any region coded disk ie they will be useless in the future?

I have just purchased the XE1 and waiting for cables before I set it up. I have already purchased 300 and it says region 1 on the back. Will this not work?

I bought the HD version of 300 from the states it was region coded and didn't work on my 360 HD DVD so they are slowly being introduced.
Hi,

This is odd because "300" from America works just fine on my UK HD DVD drive. There is no region coding right now on HD DVD (and I have it on very good word that there never will be).

What did the 360 do when you tried to play the disc?

Does this mean that our hd dvd players won't play any region coded disk ie they will be useless in the future?
If region coding ever was added to the HD DVD spec, then it would only affect new discs and players. Current equipment that plays discs from anywhere will do so forever.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
atm the is just no concept either in players or on the discs of any region coding in HD DVD. Often we use the term region free here, but I don't think it is a good term. It says 'region free' but that implies some region coding status which is completely incorrect, IT IS COMPLETELY REGIONLESS, there is no concept of region coding here at all for HD DVD. DVDs or the DVD layer on combos will be coded as per normal for DVD.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom