• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

360 hd dvd player and panny TH42PZ70 connections?

abs406

hello there

i am new to this forum and need some help on the following matter.

i have recently purchased a panasonic viera 42pz70 and also a 360 hd dvd player. was wondering what kind of cable i would require for the hd player to work. the tv says component but i have read that you cant get a full hd resolution with component and instead it downscales the source to match the cable. could i use the official xbox 360 vga cable to connect to this tv? how would i get a 1080i/1080p picture?

i have the old premium xbox 360 not the elite with the hdmi if it helps.

i would seriously appreciate any info on this. thanks for taking the time to read this

cheers

abs406

thommcghome

If you use Component, 1080I is the highest output you can get for HD DVD playback (1080P may still be possible for other Games though assuming the TV can actually accept 1080P from Component). If you connect using VGA all you have to do is set your Xbox display resolution to 1920x1080. As per the FAQ here;

Should i use VGA or component connections?

It depends on the display. Component can output up to 1080i (due to AACS restrictions), VGA can output upto 1080p (not all TV's accept VGA at 1080p)

brain_stew

The PZ70 won't accept 1080p over VGA or component, one of the reasons I've decided against getting one. You're probably best off using 1080i over component and allowing your TV to deinterlace the picture. Another option would be to sell you 360 (but keep the hard drive) and buy an Arcade with HDMI from Gamestation for £150, which shouldn't leave you too out of pocket.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom