360 HD-DVD drive news

Crovon

Crovon

danvitale said:
[360] Microsoft promises value for money with add-on
Words: Dave Harrison

Wednesday 9 August 2006
The new Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive will be the cheapest HD-DVD player on the market when it's released later this year, according to Microsoft's director of global marketing, Albert Penello.

A recent blog entry by Microsoft employee Larry Hryb (aka Major Nelson), interviewed Penello who, when quizzed about the price of the add-on, said: "We're still thinking about it. Here's what I can tell you for sure, it's going to be the cheapest HD-DVD player you can buy, without a doubt, when it comes out."

While this is all very exciting, what wasn't made clear was if the "cheapest player on the market" claim made by the Microsoft man was referring to just the cost of the drive on its own, or the combined price of the drive and 360.

Currently, the lowest price you can pick up an HD-DVD player for is about £400 - we'll have to wait for further announcements to see if the combined cost of an Xbox 360 and HD-DVD add-on will be less than that.

There you go my friend;)

RunDMC

from Engadget.com
...the 360's HD DVD drive was said to "be the cheapest HD DVD player on the market for consumers who already own an Xbox 360 console."

Still quite a big window for pricing.

saibot

Novice Member
hmm, anything over £200 for the add-on and might aswell spend the extra few quid and get a toshiba player!

Kopite4Ever

Novice Member
Rasczak said:
I wonder why the unit has three USB connections on the back (one mini-USB, two normal ports)?
Mini to connect to the console
One usb for conneting the wireless dongle if you need it as were it fits in on the 360 the HD-DVD deck will plug in.
Another USB just because they can i suppose :confused:

m1ket

jjhellis said:
I would be happy if it was around £200 but it's more likely £250

im pretty sure you will be able to buy a 360 premium and hd-dvd addon for less than £420, so £140 max

D

Deleted member 92943

At the moment it's meant to be £129.99 going by Internet and Magazine Rumour.

I am pondering whether to buy one of these 360hd-v players, a HD-DVD Drive for the PC and just stream it to the 360 or wait and get a dedicated player and sell the one i have :confused:

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
a HD-DVD Drive for the PC and just stream it to the 360
This may be difficult to achieve. I don't think you'll be able to rip the video to your PC in a format you can actually access. And, as of yet, the 360 doesn't support reading material from your PC's ROM drives. May change when Vista arrives though.

Of course the 360 HD DVD drive may work with your PC in addition to being a 360 addon (although presumably you'd need to buy a new version of WinDVD (etc) as well).

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
jjhellis said:
I would be happy if it was around £200 but it's more likely £250
I'd be happy to pay anything up to £150 but no more.

Do you think there would be any issues sourcing a US add-on and plugging it into a UK 360? The main reason to do this is to take advantage of US discs.

rover2002

Novice Member
Tejstar said:
I'd be happy to pay anything up to £150 but no more.

Do you think there would be any issues sourcing a US add-on and plugging it into a UK 360? The main reason to do this is to take advantage of US discs.
I'm pretty sure it will be universal, this would ensure a fast world wide release before the holiday season.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
You may well find US HD DVDs work with the UK HD DVD drive on the 360. There is currently no regional coding on HD DVD so unless there is 50/60Hz problem then they should work.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Will this be the case going forward too? I thought region coding was planned at some point, or am I getting confused with Blu-Ray?

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Will this be the case going forward too? I thought region coding was planned at some point, or am I getting confused with Blu-Ray?
Regional coding for HD DVD is being discussed at present. The last committe of the DVD Forum formed a working group to investigate it and draw up proposals. These will be discussed at the next meeting. All the time they talk but don't do anything then every HD DVD player and disc that comes to market is region free.

Now even if regional coding is implemented and - worst case scenerio - it uses a positive coding system (i.e. a region 2 disc will not play unless it detects region 2 firmware) then this would only affect future discs not the ones already available. Ergo if regional coding happens you would then have to make a choice of which firmware update to use: UK or US. But all the discs you have brought up until then will still work (as they will be region free) - after which you stick to your chosen region. Of course the 360 might force you into one setting or another - we won't know that until it happens.

BluRay on the other hand already uses regional coding. Region A is US/Canada/Japan. Region B is Europe. Region C everywhere else. No information yet on whether the system is hackable or not despite the players being available for several months now.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that. I knew region coding had been implemented for BD it was the confusion surrounding HD-DVD. I suppose you are right though, while they remain in discussions, all HD-DVD discs currently released remain region free, which is a bonus!

JUS

I have my 360 in a cupboard and I can still hear it sucking air...it would drive me nuts during the quieter parts of films. Also, I would have thought quality will be better with a stand alone (still to be proven) but definitely less noisy.

So considering you have flashy new HD displays, brand new 360 and I'm sure amps/receivers and speakers to go with....would you really compromise quality (and lets face it that's the point of HD-DVD) just to save a couple of hundred quid?

richard plumb

JUS said:
I have my 360 in a cupboard and I can still hear it sucking air...it would drive me nuts during the quieter parts of films. Also, I would have thought quality will be better with a stand alone (still to be proven) but definitely less noisy.

So considering you have flashy new HD displays, brand new 360 and I'm sure amps/receivers and speakers to go with....would you really compromise quality (and lets face it that's the point of HD-DVD) just to save a couple of hundred quid?

yes.

But rather than me thinking I'm saving £300 on a standalone player, I'm more thinking its £200 to dabble in HDDVD.

If all goes well and both formats do well, then I'll buy a standalone.

Although the lack of 5.1 analogue audio outs on the Xbox 360 do tempt me towards the Toshiba. If they release 5.1 TrueHD audio via analogue outputs before the 360 addon is released, I might switch my plans.

JUS

richard plumb said:
yes.

But rather than me thinking I'm saving £300 on a standalone player, I'm more thinking its £200 to dabble in HDDVD.

If all goes well and both formats do well, then I'll buy a standalone.

Although the lack of 5.1 analogue audio outs on the Xbox 360 do tempt me towards the Toshiba. If they release 5.1 TrueHD audio via analogue outputs before the 360 addon is released, I might switch my plans.
I could have got my knickers in a twist here...I don't think either the A1 or XA1 have 5.1 true HD decoders (only 2 channel) ...so at best all the could do is feed a digital signal into a 5.1true HD decoder/amp to convert it....I think :)

rover2002

Novice Member
JUS said:
I could have got my knickers in a twist here...I don't think either the A1 or XA1 have 5.1 true HD decoders (only 2 channel) ...so at best all the could do is feed a digital signal into a 5.1true HD decoder/amp to convert it....I think :)
I'm sure the UK release will have 5.1 true hd enabled as they speculate a simple firmware will enable it on the (X)A1.
http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/08/08/hd-...es-truehd-5-1/
Will.

Edit, doh yea what Ras said !

JUS

Ah ha! That sounds good :) ...although my amp only has one set of 5.1 inputs and I'm using that for my DVD-A/SACD player...god I need a universal player :devil: (DVD-A, SACD, DTS, True HD, DVD (R1, R2), Blueray, HD-DVD)

rover2002

Novice Member
JUS said:
Ah ha! That sounds good :) ...although my amp only has one set of 5.1 inputs and I'm using that for my DVD-A/SACD player...god I need a universal player :devil: (DVD-A, SACD, DTS, True HD, DVD (R1, R2), Blueray, HD-DVD)
Thats the small downside for me right now, i had to use the DVD-A/SACD 5.1 jacks on me receiver, so no more SACD's (I only have 5 or 6 lol).

JUS

Yea, I've only got about 10 but I do like playing them....am really hoping for long talked about rebirth of SACD also.

D

Deleted member 92943

I reckon i will buy a dedicated player in the future as i am liking the look of the 360 add-on less and less everytime i see it