360 HD-DVD and Dual Display problem

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by DarkKnight, Sep 18, 2007.

1. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

Really hope you guys can help me out.

I purchased the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive last week and got it playing back on my monitor. I have a dual display set up with my monitor as the primary video device.

My graphics card is an ATI Sapphire X1900XT which I beleive doesn't support HDCP. Nevertheless, I'm able to playback a physical HD-DVD disk and a ripped HD-DVD copy from my harddrive. However, the playback only works on my monitor.

If I drag my PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra window to my Pioneer Plasma monitor I get playback errors. Without AnyDVD running, it stops me with the PowerDVD playback error (I expect this is as a result of HDCP). If I have AnyDVD running, I hear the audio but the PowerDVD playback window is blacked out... Basically I can't see any footage.

I've tried playing around with the PowerDVD settings, but the settings under Video -> Advanced are always greyed out.

This strikes me as a Video Overlay problem. But I just can't see where I can tweak anything. Video playback from MCE, WMP and other PVR applications works fine on my Plasma. So it seems like it's just PowerDVD playing up.

Can anyone help ?

Just find it weird that I'm not getting HDCP issues over VGA to my monitor!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Para

Para

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    It part of the duel display thing. Hd material will only output to one display.. You need to set your primary display as the one you want to watch the hd on.. Possibly even cancelling the other one as its playing.. God knows why!

3. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Really ?

So Cyberlink are discouraging the use of Dual Display for HD content ?

4. Para

Para

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I believe so.. But I amy be proved wrong!

Its not just cyberlink. Its the HD controll people.. The business monkeys, sent to make our lives harder.

5. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Could someone please help ?

I'm really not convinced that a dual display would limit your HD disk playback.

6. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I beleive this is the case for ALL video playback.

Its something to do with "overlays" and/or "renderless" graphics mode, that only work on the Primary monitor.

Does it happen when the video is in window mode or only full screen?

VGA does not use HDCP. HDCP is only used for a digital data chain.

7. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I use DVB Viewer sometimes for my TV capture and playback and originally experienced the same problem then. But it's just a case of setting up the overlay mode.

- If set to Overlay, my ATI card has a function called Theater mode, where anything playing on my monitor in Windowed or Maximised mode will mirror play back on my Plasma in full screen.

- If set to VMR9, then I can drag the window to my Plasma and it'll playback without an issue.

As mentioned at the start of this thread, playback is not a problem with any other Media Player / PVR software. .

I hear what you're saying about VGA not supporting HDCP, but this means no HDCP handshake is occuring and the monitor is deemed a non compliant device. This would mean that it should not play back on the monitor, yet it still does.

8. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Its not that VGA does not "support" HDCP, its that it is not needed for analogue connections. I have used PowerDVD Ultra and Xbox 360 add-on to my Samsung M87 with VGA without any problems.

9. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,680
    I set my projector as primary and disable my monitor when watching movies, works fine.