360 GPU Overheating

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by UKDStrawdog, Mar 10, 2006.

1. UKDStrawdog

UKDStrawdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
  2. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    :oops: Those must have been made on a Friday afternoon :D

3. ukkev2000

ukkev2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Well done German fellows! :clap: :clap:

I thought that heatsink looked wrong as soon as I saw it. Waht's the current failure rate in the poll? 20%?

A fifth of the production had someone not taking the foil off - must have been a few lines in the factory who weren't taught how to do this job. Well, if you will get these things made in the cheapest place...:suicide:

4. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    On the other hand, the foil could be intentional:

http://www.aavidthermalloy.com/products/options/tapes.shtml

When I was in the tV trade, many manufacturers changed from using the old mica-washer-with-compound to dry silicone rubber washers. We looked at these things and swore they couldn't possibly conduct heat, but they worked fine!

5. Kainz

Kainz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's normal. They're basically using TIM pads that have a foil carrier on them.

6. StephanK

StephanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's normal, MS confirmed meanwhile that the pad they're using has an aluminum carrier - and linked to the product specs of said pad at the manufacturers homepage. Guess those folks at that german modding store didn't know about foil backed thermal pads and got all excited. Well, they sure had their 15 minutes of fame.

Here is an official MS statement in english:
    http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/microsoft/msoft-responds-to-xbox-360-foil-video-159734.php

What german product manager XBOX division - Boris Schneider Johne thinks about this scare can be read (if your german is sufficient) in his private blog here: http://www.dreisechzig.net. In short, he is not amused.

My opinion from skimming thru various posts made by one of gs24 folks on a few german modding sites (namely nexgame.de and modcontrol.com), the guys 360 croaked after he modded it and MS refused to replace it since the warranty seal was broken. Guy got cheesed off and completely took the thing apart trying to fix it himself and stumbled over the foil. He was claiming that MS forgot to remove the "protective film on the thermal pad" - apparently lacking knowledge of or disregarding the existance of foil backed thermal pads. Saw his chance to boost popularity of his modding store by spamming the net with his findings that he published conveniently right at his online shop page selling a 360 modding kit.. I would say his ad campaign kinda backfired.

7. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Well I have no idea how it can possibley be effective having that much thermal compound and a piece of foil?? :confused: It's only supposed to fill the microscopic holes?