360 getting $200 HD-DVD, 1080p, jukebox, and FPS controller?

ukkev2000

Novice Member
$200 is about right - $125 for the drive, $10 for the case and $15 for the codecs (SW to play the movies) and $50 retailer profit; I can't see the drive being any more than a bare drive connected via USB.

I'm confused about the cable though..why would 1080p need a new cable? Surely you can do 1080p over the existing component cable? All it is is adding a new video mode to the console SW to pump out the high rate signal. The tricky (i.e. expensive) bit is making/buying a 1080p display :)
 

Batch

Novice Member
The current xbox 360 chip doesn't support 1080p so part of the chip will need to be upgraded using a device built into a new cable.
 

[email protected]

Standard Member
Batch said:
The current xbox 360 chip doesn't support 1080p so part of the chip will need to be upgraded using a device built into a new cable.
Lol, that is great then... any 1080p tv already does that, it's called de-interlacing (converting 1080i to 1080p), that's not native 1080p :thumbsdow
 

DarkEntity

Well-known Member
unless they have the required chip in the HD DVD player?
 

[email protected]

Standard Member
DarkEntity said:
unless they have the required chip in the HD DVD player?
The HD-DVD addon has no video output, it uses the available Xbox 360 video outputs, so how can a chip in the HD-DVD solve the component video output of Xbox 360?
 

DarkEntity

Well-known Member
The HD-DVD addon has no video output, it uses the available Xbox 360 video outputs, so how can a chip in the HD-DVD solve the component video output of Xbox 360?
did you happen to notice the "?" at the end of my post, hence it was a question, not a statement ;)
 

DisguisedCoot

Active Member
Whats this about a jukebox for the 360?
 

robo989

Banned
ukkev2000 said:
$200 is about right - $125 for the drive, $10 for the case and $15 for the codecs (SW to play the movies) and $50 retailer profit; I can't see the drive being any more than a bare drive connected via USB.

I'm confused about the cable though..why would 1080p need a new cable? Surely you can do 1080p over the existing component cable? All it is is adding a new video mode to the console SW to pump out the high rate signal. The tricky (i.e. expensive) bit is making/buying a 1080p display :)
If it were true 1080p then it would definately benefit from an HDMI\DVI interface. at 1080p component technology is being streched at a guess.

The thing about adding up the various bits to arrive at $200...who's to say if its good value. The only thing that can be said, is that its going to cost less than half the price of the cheapest HD-DVD\Blueray player at release date....

Don't mean to be rude but please state if your guessing about the costs of components\profit :)
 

robo989

Banned
DarkEntity said:
did you happen to notice the "?" at the end of my post, hence it was a question, not a statement ;)
Don't think he was having a go, he was just answering the "?"\speculation
 
D

Deleted member 92943

Guest
The HD-DVD Drive and the 360 can't even do DDHD or DTSHD which is pretty bad. All your getting is a better picture, but what about sound
 

BYF

Well-known Member
£200 on top of the £279 ive already payed is a joke, this come to £479.99 and thats with no blu-ray.

£100 maybe but £200 no way

a top spec PS3 is only £425 pounds and everyone is moaning about the price of it even though it has blu ray and is more advanced and powerful!

in fact its gonna be cheaper than the 360 + the hd-dvd.
 

Kopite4Ever

Novice Member
BYF said:
a top spec PS3 is only £425 pounds and everyone is moaning about the price of it even though it has blu ray and is more advanced and powerful!
Oh dear, they have trapped another one. Open your eyes to whats going on, 360 and HD-DVD is here at this present moment in time doing great things. Head on over to other parts of the forum to see how **** poor blu-ray is doing atm. PS3 is just on paper at the moment, more powerful :rolleyes:
 

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
BYF said:
£200 on top of the £279 ive already payed is a joke, this come to £479.99 and thats with no blu-ray.

£100 maybe but £200 no way

a top spec PS3 is only £425 pounds and everyone is moaning about the price of it even though it has blu ray and is more advanced and powerful!

in fact its gonna be cheaper than the 360 + the hd-dvd.
It's $200, not £200. I'd expect the UK price to be around £150 tops (a direct conversion is £106 so with vat that comes to £128. That makes the two around the same price with the difference being that the 360 has two players - a fast 12x DVD player for games and a separate HD-DVD player for films. You don't get the choice with Sony unfortunately so if you're not into films you still have to buy a PS3 with built and slower than 12x DVD Blu Ray.

The PS3 isn't really more advanced or powerful - reports indicate that they will be of similar power. The PS3 will probably have a slight advantage (well it should have coming out a year later) but it isn't supposed to be significantly better in any way.

So it's not a joke at all and given that 360 premiums can be had for £250ish (or less in some places) if you shop around that means you can most likely pick up a 360 & HD-DVD for under £400. :)

If films aren't your bag then all you need buy is a 360. Much better IMO.

You can always spot a Sony Fanboy, because they always try to inflate the 360 cost to make the PS3 seem like better value. :rolleyes:
 

rio1981

Well-known Member
BYF said:
£200 on top of the £279 ive already payed is a joke, this come to £479.99 and thats with no blu-ray.

£100 maybe but £200 no way

a top spec PS3 is only £425 pounds and everyone is moaning about the price of it even though it has blu ray and is more advanced and powerful!

in fact its gonna be cheaper than the 360 + the hd-dvd.
And the fact remains that if someone isn't interested in HD movies they still have a choice if they take the 360, something they won't have if they buy a PS3, where it's forced upon them :rolleyes:

If Blu-Ray "fails", then what does that leave you? A pretty expensive console, to be honest...
 

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
rio1981 said:
And the fact remains that if someone isn't interested in HD movies they still have a choice if they take the 360, something they won't have if they buy a PS3, where it's forced upon them :rolleyes:

If Blu-Ray "fails", then what does that leave you? A pretty expensive console, to be honest...
Indeed, that was my point. Normally you'd expect a 360 and seperate HD-DVD to be vastly more expensive than a combined unit with just one drive.

How MS have managed to offer the choice, whilst making the combined price around the same as the PS3 (if the price turns out as predicted) I do not know. Simply amazing! :)
 

rio1981

Well-known Member
CAS FAN said:
Indeed, that was my point. Normally you'd expect a 360 and seperate HD-DVD to be vastly more expensive than a combined unit with just one drive.

How MS have managed to offer the choice, whilst making the combined price around the same as the PS3 (if the price turns out as predicted) I do not know. Simply amazing! :)
Exactly. And it amazes me that people turn this kind of thing into strictly a PS3 vs 360 argument - surely this is simply a case of putting the consumer in charge of what they may or may not want? Maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age but I prefer it this way round...
 

jay_brown55

Active Member
What started off as a thread about 'extra Xbox360 functionality' has now degenerated into the old familiar 'PS3 is a rip-off' rant.

To add fuel to the fire:devil:

If you don't want a PS3 or you can't afford it, don't buy one. Might be an idea to stop bitching about it too. Direct your energy into something positive.

Sony aren't holding a gun to your head:suicide: . Freedom of choice.

I can't afford to buy a Porsche but I'm not bitching on forums all day with stuff like "why couldn't they give me a choice of a 1.3 diesel instead of the 3.6 turbo" or "I don't want ABS and 450bhp, I shouldn't have to pay for it!"

Not sure where that came from, sorry.:oops:
 

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Exactly, this whole being forced to buy an expensive Blu Ray PS3 is really my only issue with the console. I'm sure it will perform well and have a great list of games and i'm not even bothered about the size & weight - that's just not a factor to me personally.

I may have ended up buying an add on Blu Ray player if I was given the choice but I resent being forced to pay for it and I guess it's more a matter of principle to me.

I will probably end up getting the HD-DVD drive for the 360 but my main reason for owning a 360 is gaming so I appreciate being given the choice of whether I buy one or not and also when I buy one.

Had Sony released a £250-£300 DVD version of the PS3 then they would have probably had a launch buyer in myself. As they are only launching Blu Ray versions at increased cost then I certainly won't be buying a launch console. I realise that that is just me, but i'm sure that quite a lot of people (like me) who have owned all of Sony's previous consoles, PS1, PS2, PSP (and in my case have bought a vast amount of other Sony products in the past - listed in my profile) will be thinking the same.

jay_brown55 said:
If you don't want a PS3 or you can't afford it, don't buy one. Might be an idea to stop bitching about it too. Direct your energy into something positive.
You miss the point. I can afford a PS3, that is not the issue at all. The point is that they are not offering choice - you have to buy a games console with a BD Rom drive, even if you aren't slightly interested in films! The BD rom drive is also slower than a 12 x DVD drive so you are infact compromising your gaming enjoyment for something which you may have no interest in.

I enjoy the games that come out on Sony's consoles (hence why i've bought all of the previous ones) and would like a normal priced DVD version of the console.

I am not going to buy it, but that doesn't mean that I am not disapointed with Sony in their move to force me to pay more for a Blu Ray drive that I don't want.

To use your poor analogy - If say Ford, Honda, Vauxhall etc. simply brought out top of the range versions of their cars and forced people to have a 6 disc multichanger, climate control, electric windows, a 2.0 litre engine etc. or nothing, then don't you feel that the people who simply want a good reliable no nonesense car without the frills or the big engine would be unhappy?
 

jay_brown55

Active Member
rio1981 said:
1.3 diesel Boxster? Yummy... ;)
Yeah, might give all the little scrotes something stylish to drive, instead of using their mum's Citroen Saxo, with plastic Halfords bits glued on!:D
 

Kopite4Ever

Novice Member
jay_brown55 said:
Yeah, might give all the little scrotes something stylish to drive, instead of using their mum's Citroen Saxo, with plastic Halfords bits glued on!:D
oh you leave me alone, its a vauxhall corsa actually :rotfl:
 

rio1981

Well-known Member
Kopite4Ever said:
oh you leave me alone, its a vauxhall corsa actually :rotfl:
Believe it or not I saw a "souped-up" Fiat Sieciento the other day... I tried to stifle the laughing, honest I did, but when I realised that the thing in our garden we use to hoover up the leaves has a bigger engine it just blurted out... :D
 

jay_brown55

Active Member
CAS FAN said:
To use your poor analogy - If say Ford, Honda, Vauxhall etc. simply brought out top of the range versions of their cars and forced people to have a 6 disc multichanger, climate control, electric windows, a 2.0 litre engine etc. or nothing, then don't you feel that the people who simply want a good reliable no nonesense car without the frills or the big engine would be unhappy?
I was waiting for that. You're exactly right.

My point is that the spec of the PS3 is as it is. If it's not what you want, don't buy it.
Xbox360 has spoiled us all with it's 'mix n match' aproach. I couldn't give a monkeys toss for the wi-fi, browser, multi-media capabilities of the PSP either. But I don't lie awake at night worrying that it should have cost me less than £200. I wanted it to play games, so I bought it, and paid for gubbins I've never used. It even uses storage media that is incompatible with everything else (BD anyone!), but no one bitched as much as they are about PS3......I could go on but I'm supposed to be working.

Apologies if you think PSP is bobbins anyway. Another poor analogy.

When it boils down to it, it's just the Xbox fanboys getting a bit worried that PS3 might be better than the 360. Getting excuses in early for not wanting one will save a few blushes. Lets not forget PS2 out-sold Xbox 4:1 (yes I know it was released first blah blah blah Xbox sold more in the USA blah blah)
 

jay_brown55

Active Member
rio1981 said:
Believe it or not I saw a "souped-up" Fiat Sieciento the other day... I tried to stifle the laughing, honest I did, but when I realised that the thing in our garden we use to hoover up the leaves has a bigger engine it just blurted out... :D
I saw a Rover Metro with those 'spinner' alloys on. Very cool:smashin:

If I was driving it (it was burgundy by the way) I'd do anything not to draw attention to myself!
 

Similar threads

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Trending threads

Latest News

Marantz unveils 12 Series Special Edition models
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 smart phone models launched
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UK4B 4K Alexa enabled TV
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mulan to premiere on Disney+ on 4th September
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Has Amazon Prime Video dropped Dolby Atmos?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom