360 Elite sharing PC's Monitor and Audio - how?

Reaction score
Hi all! Can someone please guide me of how to setup my audio for my desk setup? What I have: XBOX 360 Elite (hooked to monitor) 28" Hanns-G Monitor (hooked to pc) Logitech Z-5500 THX Certified 5.1 Speaker System (hooked to pc) How I have it working ATM: PC has all my audio setup nice on it's soundcard.. and is using the VGA in on the monitor. XBOX 360 is using the HDMI in on the monitor, and the audio is also controlled via the monitor as it has built-in speakers which only requires the HDMI display cable. How I want it: I would like to use a VGA cable for my XBOX setup rather than HDMI. Why? Because my monitor supports HD 1080p, but has a resolution of 1920x1200, which means EVERYTHING that is displayed by that console stretches vertically. I've tried changing the Aspect Ratio settings on the monitor from FULL to SCALE.. but when I set this on the Monitor controls, the screen goes black for a second and comes abck on but nothing changes. So I was thinking, if I run it through a VGA cable, I might be able to get it looking 'right'? Also, that brings in a question. If I use the VGA cable, then I will have to L+R jacks.. If I use HDMI, how would I setup the XBOX with the sound system, as I don't want the tinny sound from the Monitor speakers. This might be pretty Vague.. but please help?

If u use HDMI theres and optical out on the cable extension you got with your kit just hook that up to your sound system, hope this helps in some little way.

Hmmm, my elite didn't come with an optical cable :( Would I need to switch between channels using the pc at all?

Hmmm, my elite didn't come with an optical cable :( Would I need to switch between channels using the pc at all?
You would need to buy an optical cable, but they aren't expensive (£5 ish from alot of online shops). Dependant on how you have your PC outputs set up to your 5500s (I have direct inputs using 3x RCA cables), then just switch between the direct and optical inputs using the remote when switching between your PC and Xbox.

You would need to buy an optical cable, but they aren't expensive (£5 ish from alot of online shops). Dependant on how you have your PC outputs set up to your 5500s (I have direct inputs using 3x RCA cables), then just switch between the direct and optical inputs using the remote when switching between your PC and Xbox.

Ahh, you have use tje 5500? Well thanks, regarding the resolution of the screen stretching thr 1080p image, does anyone know what I should do? Just try a VGA cable? Cheers for the help so far.

Ahh, you have use tje 5500? Well thanks, regarding the resolution of the screen stretching thr 1080p image, does anyone know what I should do? Just try a VGA cable? Cheers for the help so far.
I do have the 5500s on my PC, it will work fine for you. :)

Can't help you with your image problem though, I don't know if the VGA would fix your problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom