360 Elite Is It Worth It?

ELITE : Was it worth changing from 360

• Total voters

dalar

Hi

Im not an owner of the elite model but basically here is what you get against the premiuim:

ELITE:

+ Black Console with Black Controllers
+ 120GB Hard Drive

Now some smart people will note that I have left out the 'HDMI' output - this is because Microsoft have started releasing HDMI outputs on their standard premiuims.... so its no longer a feature exclusivley to the Elite!

Some people have rumoured that the Elites are more reliable, but I don't think their is strong enough evidence to prove if this is fact ... but Microsoft have started using new Heatsinks recently in All Xboxes, including those sent in for repair.

* the premuim is a good deal tho with HDMI

:D

Se777eN

Distinguished Member
Hell yeah!!!

I love my elite :thumbsup:

Elite owners are going to say yes i'd imagine. I have a core with a 120gb hdd connected via VGA and think it is perfect as it is. No point in forking out another £300 for the same thing with a black finish, so it's a no from me.

sleepylaser

As my premium broke last weekend (great timing by the way :p , never would have welcomed that happening before), I got a £280 refund. so only had to hand over a new £40 for an Elite and Bioshock bundle :thumbsup:

Considering that I was set to spend £40 on Bioshock anyway- I pretty much got a premium for elite swap at no cost :thumbsup:

Funny how these things turn out :rolleyes:

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Yes, as long as you get one with quiet fans. Personally if I hadn't got one with the nidec fans in I wouldn't have been able to live with the noise

wellladida

Novice Member
i think the elites a good idea for people who have just come into the xbox world but for those with cores and full systems dont bother fair enogh those come with 120gb but that can be bought seperately along with black controllers and i can almost garuntee you there will be black faceplates and finishes avaliable. some might say if you buy all that you might as well buy the elite but you have to remember not everyone can afford things with a price like the elite.

Dazza

i think the elites a good idea for people who have just come into the xbox world but for those with cores and full systems dont bother fair enogh those come with 120gb but that can be bought seperately along with black controllers and i can almost garuntee you there will be black faceplates and finishes avaliable. some might say if you buy all that you might as well buy the elite but you have to remember not everyone can afford things with a price like the elite.

This just doesn't hold water.
A seperate 120GB HD costs in the region of £129.99.
So then to start adding faceplates and black controllers is just IMO an non-starter.
I can't imagine anyone going down that route.
By the time you've forked out for the 120GB HD you could have traded in/sold your core/premium and bought an Elite for the same if not less money.

Check peoples trade ins across the threads and the majority have got good deals. i.e. traded in free games to bring the cost down even further.
I bought an Elite for £266 only £17 more than a premium.

Coupled with the fact that people (apart from the bigger HD & the HDMI slot) are getting a console with the improved heatsinks makes the Elite a worthy purchase IMO :smashin:

If you're happy with your core/premium fine.

jim_is_ere

I agree with dazza - I bought a 360 elite with bioshock and taking into account I was going to buy bioshock anyway, after selling my 360 premium to a friend It has cost me £90

That is such a good deal in my opinion - my premium was 20 months old and has broken on me twice. Now if anything happens with the elite, I can take it back to game and get a new one for the next 12 months :thumbsup:

cheers

Jim

Mattk84

Banned
The only reaon I can see to upgrade to an elite would be the larger hdd.The hdd on its own is a ludicrous price imho.I can pick up a 250gig external hdd drive for my pc for approx £60 ie twice the size at half the price but maybe this is a deliberate ploy by MS to minimise people upgrading the hdd only on their premium.
That said, I think the price point of the elite is extremely good.

dannius

Agree with Dazza. I was going to upgrade my HDD for £129, but it just didn't make financial sense when I could upgrade to an Elite for a similar outlay.

The HDMI output for me improves the picture also.

So i'd say yes, it's worth it.

Urban Splash

The elite imo is cack

Far too noisy

I can hear no difference from my launch premium, which was loud

Congrats to MS for using the cackest components they could get their hands on

This just doesn't hold water.
A seperate 120GB HD costs in the region of £129.99.
So then to start adding faceplates and black controllers is just IMO an non-starter.
I can't imagine anyone going down that route.
By the time you've forked out for the 120GB HD you could have traded in/sold your core/premium and bought an Elite for the same if not less money.

Check peoples trade ins across the threads and the majority have got good deals. i.e. traded in free games to bring the cost down even further.
I bought an Elite for £266 only £17 more than a premium.

Coupled with the fact that people (apart from the bigger HD & the HDMI slot) are getting a console with the improved heatsinks makes the Elite a worthy purchase IMO :smashin:

If you're happy with your core/premium fine.

Not being funny, but here's my costs:

World Cup Core Pack: £135
120GB HDD: £70 (yes seventy, on this very forum)
VGA Lead: £10

Altogether that's £215, 85 less than an elite, and VGA provides me with the same picture as HDMI would on my 720p tv. I've had no problems with fans, disc noise or heat either. Perhaps now you can see what welladida was getting at?

Also, all tyes of 360 are going to ship with new heatsinks and HDMI soon.

wormvortex

wording the question so that your asking elite owners if its worth it is gonna give u biased opinions. Bet half of them had made their mind up that it was amazing and that they had to have it as soon as it was first mentioned. Unless you really need the bigger HDD and HDMI its a waste of money entirely.

Tarbat

Unless you really need the bigger HDD and HDMI its a waste of money entirely.
Several reasons for getting an Elite now:
1. HDMI
2. Bigger HDD
3. Black, to match other AV equipment
4. Want a second XB360 to put in another room
5. Better GPU heatsink

jonandjen

Quite happy with mine. Slightly quieter than my Premium (although not much !!), bigger hard drive might come in handy. Main reason to switch was HDMI which I'm very happy with (PQ is much better than previous picture via component), and also really like the matt black colour. Quite a lot of dough to upgrade, but convinced myself it was worth it somehow. Also, was going to buy Bioshock anyway, so geting the Elite with Bioshock thrown in was the final sweetener.

benny

Hi fellas, upgraded to the elite and to my surprise using a 50" fujitsu plasma for the last 8 month via component on premium, the differance using hdmi is night and day better, not just a sharper image but a more correct image and more vibrant colours, and the black level detail on games like bioshock is amazing, so for me guys worth the £90 it cost me to trade at gamestation just for the new image iam getting and i definately thought they would be about the same (component and hdmi at 720p). but overall it probably depends what screen your using for each individuals benefit via hdmi.:smashin:

Dazza

Not being funny, but here's my costs:

World Cup Core Pack: £135
120GB HDD: £70 (yes seventy, on this very forum)
VGA Lead: £10

Altogether that's £215, 85 less than an elite, and VGA provides me with the same picture as HDMI would on my 720p tv. I've had no problems with fans, disc noise or heat either. Perhaps now you can see what welladida was getting at?

Also, all tyes of 360 are going to ship with new heatsinks and HDMI soon.

No i don't.
Welladida is referring to getting the same as a Black Elite by purchasing a 120GB HD, black face plates & controllers. Why would you?
HDMI is coming to the premium only so what, £229.99 + even your £70 makes it on par with an Elite anyway.
As for your lack of problems, good for you.

Your happy, i'm happy. I don't see a problem.

12 promises

wording the question so that your asking elite owners if its worth it is gonna give u biased opinions. Bet half of them had made their mind up that it was amazing and that they had to have it as soon as it was first mentioned. Unless you really need the bigger HDD and HDMI its a waste of money entirely.

your possibly correct that some who have bought it have a biased viewpoint since people are reluctant to admit that they bought a duff/mediocre/similar quality product.
it is interesting to hear folks thoughts though.
what will be even more interesting is whether / when we see a "my elite is broken etc etc" thread.

blicky_1

Why are all the Elite owners going on about the HDD, colour and HDMI all of the time is it just to warrant thier purchase?? it's not that much of a bonus over a premium IMO.

1. VGA will give as good picture as HDMI as long as set up correctly (with exception on some TV's)
2. No need for a 120GB HDD (Yet) as no video marketpace
3. Unit/controller/headset might be black but MS have said they have no plans to make other accessories in black i.e. HD-DVD drive. I have many additional items inc. s/wheel which are all white.....

I will probably get one in the future but not until they have sorted out noise issues (glad I waited for reviews on here first!!) built in HD-DVD drive would be nice but I cant see that happening anytime soon.

12 promises

Why are all the Elite owners going on about the HDD, colour and HDMI all of the time is it just to warrant thier purchase?? it's not that much of a bonus over a premium IMO.

1. VGA will give as good picture as HDMI as long as set up correctly (with exception on some TV's)
2. No need for a 120GB HDD (Yet) as no video marketpace
3. Unit/controller/headset might be black but MS have said they have no plans to make other accessories in black i.e. HD-DVD drive. I have many additional items inc. s/wheel which are all white.....

I will probably get one in the future but not until they have sorted out noise issues (glad I waited for reviews on here first!!) built in HD-DVD drive would be nice but I cant see that happening anytime soon.

good constructive comments..thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JBL launches compact 4309 Studio Monitor speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL launches TS8132 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces Express 4K streamer and new OS 10
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL reveals C82 Mini-LED and C72+ QLED TVs for Europe in 2021