• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

360 Consoles due for an official price reduction?

With all these 20% off 360 consoles flying around in various stores at the moment it does seems like an official price reduction for the 360 is round the corner.

Speculation of course but I have seen similar sneaky strategies applied before in the console market and in games that were due for price reductions.

Coupled with the fact that the Wii and PS3 are on the verge of existence soon I guess it is simply a case of how much as oppose to when.

Am I right in that future Xbox 360s will now have HDMI (or the other equivalent) standard in its settings?

My guess is that the Premium pack will retail for £200 within the next few months

Deputy Dawg UK

Did anyone actually receive their 360 from John Lewis for that reduced price of around £220.00 ???

PrivatePile76

there won't be an official price drop until October at the earliest....

even then I think the official retail premium will be no less than £229

they don't need to make them any cheaper than that....

but by that time you will be able to get a premium with two games for £250

launch games mind you......but that's an attractive price.....stores will start doin all sorts of cheap bundles....

happy days !

BigRD

Check this link here not looking too promising :thumbsdow

PrivatePile76

no one will know about a price drop until it happens.......it will occur overnight...

why would MS want people to hold off buying one....

in that article it states (and I have seen this before) that there will be no drop before xmas....

that's cobblers I reckon.......but they will never admit it, it would be suicide in terms of potential sales between now and then.....

PrivatePile76

there ya go.......I wrote this message before you got that one in....lol

think about it.......as soon as the other two get released MS will start losing sales.......so

price cut = even more sales for 360.....

they won't stop people buying wii or ps3 but it will put a dent in the launch sales

NackNack

Banned
PrivatePile76 said:
no one will know about a price drop until it happens.......it will occur overnight...

why would MS want people to hold off buying one....

in that article it states (and I have seen this before) that there will be no drop before xmas....

that's cobblers I reckon.......but they will never admit it, it would be suicide in terms of potential sales between now and then.....
People won't stop buying 360s just because of no price cut, it's not suicide at all. If they keep the RRP at £279.99 and allow for bundles instead (such as a 360, Prey and Oblivion in GAME for £320) which makes the perceived value the same for people purchasing, making them feeling better about their spend.

PrivatePile76

my point is....if MS were to announce that on the 1st November 2006 there will be a price cut...

then sales will dip, people will hold back and they will lose sales of their next gen system which currently is the only one available..

that's what I mean by suicide......

Pile

Pebb

Distinguished Member
UKbondraider said:
With all these 20% off 360 consoles flying around in various stores at the moment it does seems like an official price reduction for the 360 is round the corner.

Speculation of course but I have seen similar sneaky strategies applied before in the console market and in games that were due for price reductions.

Coupled with the fact that the Wii and PS3 are on the verge of existence soon I guess it is simply a case of how much as oppose to when.

Am I right in that future Xbox 360s will now have HDMI (or the other equivalent) standard in its settings?

My guess is that the Premium pack will retail for £200 within the next few months
Microsoft said they have a trap for both Sony and Nintendo, but I reckon there will be no price drops until 2007 guys?

PrivatePile76

you've got a point TVR....

it'll be cheaper than the PS3 still by nearly £200 if you can get these offers in certain places....

only time will tell...

but one thing I know is that these are happy days for us gamers....you've got MS and Sony head to head fighting genuinely for the first time and Nintendo with it's sheer brilliance in innovation...

for once the consumer wins....

PrivatePile76

nice work fella......

that's a bargain is that......absolute bargain......

CDR

Microsoft has officially said they will not lower the price this year.

I will try to find the url of the source - but can't remember it off the top of my head so i'll look around now.

PrivatePile76

doesn't mean to say that they can't "officially" change their minds....

no one would complain.....would they.....lol

I will be very suprised if there ain't a cut....

Mylo

Distinguished Member
Is it not true that MS still lose money on every 360 ?
Even at full price it's way cheaper than a high end graphics card and I'm assured the graphics are just as good in hi-def.

Must stop posting and go play with my new toy soon :D

Downinja

Distinguished Member
PrivatePile76 said:
doesn't mean to say that they can't "officially" change their minds....

no one would complain.....would they.....lol

You mean besides Sony & Nintendo?

Personally I am hoping the big Surprise for Nintendo & Sony is Halo 3, that would make me smile.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
MS lose money on every 360 they sell. MS would has no motivation to lose even more money on every 360 now that their big rival (that's Sony) has made their price announcement for their hardware and it's nowhere near the 360 price. MS sources have since commented that there are now no plans to do a price drop this year linky.

I really wouldn't hold your breath for this in 2006 - if it does come before Xmas, I'd expect it to be minimal, or take the form of including a free game like Gears of War. There's just no motivation for MS.

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
Think about it... why would MS announce a price cut a head of them actually doing it?

It would mean lots of potential buyers would hold off on buying a 360 until the price drops.

MS wouldnt want that... which is why they'lll deny it weather it's happening or not.

IMO you wont hear about it until a day or two before it happens, if that.

As someone else said.. expect maybe a new bundle or something near xmas.

CDR

I've just found my link i was talking about, its over on Ozymandias' blog (a Microsoft Employee's Blog).

Still dont believe a price cut will come this year. There'll be no point even at christmas as older kids wont want the Wii, and parents wont want to fork out for the PS3.

TEVEZ032

Banned
Hmm. I must be missing the point...
What's the difference between an official MS price drop and a store's percentage off voucher thingy??

Everyone here is debating a 'price drop' before christmas when its already happened at ASDA and JL...So it has dropped before christmas FACT! :thumbsup:

I can get a premium for 220 quid, whereas before it was 279....

G

Pebb

Distinguished Member
PrivatePile76 said:
you've got a point TVR....

it'll be cheaper than the PS3 still by nearly £200 if you can get these offers in certain places....

only time will tell...

but one thing I know is that these are happy days for us gamers....you've got MS and Sony head to head fighting genuinely for the first time and Nintendo with it's sheer brilliance in innovation...

for once the consumer wins....
I still reckon the PS3 is a bargain and will win the next generation war for Sony, but the main winners of the next generation war are the gamers. Who ever wins it, will still make the gamers the real winners in other words.

But I remember reading on GameSpot, that Microsoft confirmed there is no price drop for a while I think?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom