• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

360 connecting to live via PC

pilgrimchris

Active Member
I'm trying to help a mate who is trying to set up a 360 as follows...

360 wired connection into back of pc, then thru the pc onto the internet

He's been told by BT that this isn't possible and he needs a router but to my mind this should work - I've regularly connected laptops into the back of my pc and got online (although not for some years since I installed a wireless modem/router)

any advice anyon?
 

kickinoffapong

Novice Member
Having spent countless hours arsing around with this sort of thing, I'm afraid the best advice I can offer your mate is to get a router. Would be 30 quid well spent.
 

DirectiveFour

Active Member
I used to connect PC's to a PC to get online, a router is just that really, just make sure internet connection sharing is all sorted and the firewall isnt stopping anything.
 

DarkEntity

Well-known Member
To do what you want you need to have 2 NICS in the PC and enable ICS.

Internet Access > PC Nic1 > PC Nic2 > Hub > Xbox

Hub just gives space for more items on the network.

Or

Internet Access > PC Nic1 > PC Nic2 > Xbox
 

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
I had no trouble with this type of setup personally.

I am with BT and was using a USB modem so I just connected the 360 to my PC with a crossover cable then enabled ICS and I was on Live within a few minutes.

Now that I use Wireless though it is even easier because my Router is always connected to the net so whenever I turn on my 360 it connects to Live within seconds.
 

MadamePresident

Active Member
Indiana Jones said:
I had no trouble with this type of setup personally.

I am with BT and was using a USB modem so I just connected the 360 to my PC with a crossover cable then enabled ICS and I was on Live within a few minutes.

Now that I use Wireless though it is even easier because my Router is always connected to the net so whenever I turn on my 360 it connects to Live within seconds.

i have a voyager 100 usb modem on BT and i am really struggling to get it to find the IP address - what details should be entered into the xbox 360/pc ?

ta
 

ShadowmanUK

Active Member
wickfut said:
i have a voyager 100 usb modem on BT and i am really struggling to get it to find the IP address - what details should be entered into the xbox 360/pc ?

ta

They are on my website as mentioned above.
 

MadamePresident

Active Member
ShadowmanUK said:
Gotta be doing something not quite right then, as those instructions work 100 percentile.

do i need to PPPoE settings too with BT ? i dont when i access the internet on the pc

anyway - uploaded my ipconfig , its slightly different to yours in layout but see if you can see anything odd

thanks :)
 

Attachments

  • dns.JPG
    dns.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 34

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
i connected my 360 to my pc and my pc to my router and it worked fine all i did was bridge the connection between both the lan ports.

Though the leaving the pc got to me so i bought a 10M lead and lifted up the floor board and hard wired it into the router. Who needs wireless:devil:
 

MadamePresident

Active Member
ShadowmanUK said:
What about the Dial-up one?

I'm not gonna be around for a few days now... keep trying ;)

yeah i got the network connections and dial up icons

the computer registers the xbox as connected when i power it up (the network icon tells me via a silly popup thingy)

it just fails misserably with the dns settings
 

MadamePresident

Active Member
right finally found a solution to the problem

P.C. settings...

IP 192.168.0.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway [left blank]

prefered dns 192.168.0.1

xbox 360

IP 192.168.0.2
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

primary dns 192.168.0.1
secondary dns 192.168.0.1

hope this helps someone in the future with a usb voyager 100 on BT broadband connection

oh yeah my live tag is "divykecks" feel free to add me and kick my arse on gotham racing :)
 

ShadowmanUK

Active Member
wickfut said:
right finally found a solution to the problem

P.C. settings...

IP 192.168.0.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway [left blank]

prefered dns 192.168.0.1

xbox 360

IP 192.168.0.2
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

primary dns 192.168.0.1
secondary dns 192.168.0.1

hope this helps someone in the future with a usb voyager 100 on BT broadband connection

oh yeah my live tag is "divykecks" feel free to add me and kick my arse on gotham racing :)


Those are all on my website, they are the ones I told you to use :confused:
 

MadamePresident

Active Member
ShadowmanUK said:
Those are all on my website, they are the ones I told you to use :confused:

it was the pc prefered dns pc settings that are left blank on your site that caused it not to work

but i must admit , i would have never got it going if it wasnt for your site - so thank you :thumbsup:
 

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom