360 connected to network card

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Brummy1875, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Brummy1875

Brummy1875

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Im trying to connect my 360 to xbox live through a network card on my pc, this is how im set up, pc downstairs connected to router wired, pc upstairs connected to router wired, now i have installed another network card to my pc upstairs and attached the xbox to this, but i cant enable internet connection sharing as the tab isnt there :confused: when i try to connect on my 360 it fails at obtaining ip adress any ideas? thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Wouldn't it be much easier to just connect the 360 directly to the router instead of messing around with internet connection sharing ?

3. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    If you want to use the second network card then Internet Connection Sharing is not the best way to do this. A better method is to set up a 'Network bridge'.

A guide is located here

http://www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk/XBoxLiveTheGuide3.php?title=How do I setup Bridging

This worked for me but was very unreliable - I dont think it matters whether you use a straight or a crossover network cable from xbox->PC I 'think' either will work.

just reread : are you saying there is a router near the xbox ? if so just plug it into there...

4. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,717
    If the guys above are right, just plug the xbox into the router. If however the xbox is not actually near the router but you just have a long cable run to the router, you'd be better off buying a cheap switch. Plug this into the long cable to the router and then use a couple of short leads to the xbox and PC.

5. Brummy1875

Brummy1875

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    the router is downstairs so i dont want a long cable going downstairs, so thought i could just share the connection from my pc which is next to my xbox.thanks

6. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,717
    So the upstairs PC near the Xbox is wired to the router? As I said, I'd buy a cheap switch/hub and plug that into the existing cable to the router. Then plug the PC and Xbox into the switch/hub. It will be the easiest, best and most hassle free solution :)

7. Brummy1875

Brummy1875

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    ok cheers il give it a go :thumbsup: