360 as Media Extender with Vista - Experts Needed!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by SportiveUK, Apr 22, 2007.

1. SportiveUK

SportiveUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have just bought a new PC with Vista Home Premium, partly to be able to stream video via the 360. Until now I have had no problems streaming music & displaying pictures by connecting the 360 directly to my current XP system using Media Connect.

I have only managed to get Media Center to work once the whole day and usually it just loads up and after about 10 seconds just freezes... I am sure it is not a network issue as the little graph thing during setup showed I was above the minimum for viewing HDTV.

I decided for the time being just to connect the 360 directly to the new Vista machine (in the same way I have been doing with the old one) so I can still stream music & look at photos. I have no problem connecting to the PC but it won't find any of the files, despite media sharing in Vista being turned on and the 360 specifically being allowed to share the media.

So far then, my Vista/Media Center/360 experience has been a very bad one. Can anyone think of what might be causing the freezing and also why I can't connect directly to the machine to do what I was doing before?

There has been alot of :censored: :censored: :censored: today trying to sort this out and it was all supposed to be so easy :(

2. jedial

jedial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Do you have peer to peer software running?
    Media Center freezes and dies on me when I am downloading torrents.
    Also is your vista pc wireless or wired, I get more problems when both my 360 and vista laptop are wireless.

3. SportiveUK

SportiveUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Nope! This is with a totally fresh Vista install. The main network is wired but the 360 is wireless but when Media Center "tested" the network, the result was fine.

4. jedial

jedial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Have a look in event viewer and see what errors if any you are getting for Media Center.

5. SportiveUK

SportiveUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Only 2 errors saying "The shell exited unexpectidly" but I had to escape to the dashboard on the 360 about 20 times today!

Media Center seems to work fine on the actual PC, it's just via the 360 it all goes wrong... it's as if the 360 is trying to do something though as the network access light on my NAS drive goes a bit mad. The "old" method of connecting the 360 to my XP machine via media connect works fast & reliably and displays huge images in an instant so I still don't think it is a network speed issue.