360 as Extender from Vista Ultimate

MChatterley

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys n Girls

Having issues using the 360 as a Vista Media Center extender. Its all configured properly, the 360 is fully updated but whenever I try and open a divx file it just locks the Xbox.

I know the winter update was supposed to have the divx patch, any chance it wasn't applied?

The update to allow you to play DivX is a seperate download which is downloaded the first time you try to play a DivX file. Could be the Live! issues which means that it looks like your box has hung but it's actually trying to download the update but because Live!'s having problem's, nothing appears to happen.

Divx files dont play through Media Center, they play through the dashboard using Media Player 11's sharing features.

To play divx through Media Center you'd need Transcode 360 ( www.transcode360.co.uk ) or something similar.

Media Center absolutely does not stream Divx without using a transcoder (converts your Divx to mpeg and streams them for you).

The 360 only natively supports Divx, Xvid and H.264 through the dashboard (for now at least)

Media Center absolutely does not stream Divx without using a transcoder (converts your Divx to mpeg and streams them for you).

The 360 only natively supports Divx, Xvid and H.264 through the dashboard (for now at least)

Does that mean I have to copy the Divx stuff to my xbox and play it from the hdd?

If so, damn, was hoping to finally retire the old xbox.

Nope, means you enable sharing in Windows Media Player 11 (or Zune, Tversity etc) and stream your media that way (via the 360 dashboard and not Media Center)

Does that mean I have to copy the Divx stuff to my xbox and play it from the hdd?

If so, damn, was hoping to finally retire the old xbox.

You cant copy files to the 360's HDD.

Look in the faq for a step by step guide for streaming media through wmp11

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom