1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 - Are we all getting carried away.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by jim_is_ere, Oct 28, 2005.

1. jim_is_ere

jim_is_ere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    A lot of people seem to be getting carried away with the hype that is the XBOX 360 (myself included!)
    With only a handful of half decent games coming out on release date, I think a lot of us will get one and wonder why we bothered. There won't be a a lot of games coming out for the first six months or so after release date (I remember the PS2 games famine after release!!)

Looking over the potential releases, lets face it there is no real killer app coming out for at least 3 -6 months - or even longer!!

So I am beginning to think, yes great if I get one on release day, but I think the smart guys will probably keep there wallets in there pockets :rolleyes:

What does everyone else think?

Jim

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    have to disagree with you.

Kameo looks incredible, and i'm hopeful that it will be a killer app. PDZ also looks astounding. Not to mention PGR3!!!

I don't think i've ever anticipated a console launch like this, with there being more than 10 games I want on launch.

Remember the PS2 launch? The only good game was SSX for almost a year.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I bought a Jap PSX for Ridge Racer, worth every penny.
    I bought a Jap PS2 for RRV, worth every penny.
    I bought a Jap N64 for Mario64, worth every penny.
    I bought a Super Famicom for Marioworld, worth every penny.
    I bought a...................

Why is this any different?

Ridge Racer 6 is worth £300 on its own, if there are 10 good games through out the consoles life it is worth it to me.

4. b00mcl1ck

b00mcl1ck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Giz,

Do you play your consoles through your crystalio?

Thanks for your input by the way my 50" PHD8 arrives tomrrow. Lumagen HDP shortly afterwards courtesy of MAW.

What made you go for the crystalio over the Lumagen?

5. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Things are looking good, as far as I'm concerned. There are three or four launch games that I can't wait to have. I can't say that's been the case with any previous console launch.

And next year there are games coming like Gears of War and Ghost Recon.

These things are £45 a pop. Three or four on launch day and another every couple of months...That's enough to keep me entertained, and enough to keep my credit card hot.

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    What!!!??!!! :rolleyes: :confused: No killer app coming out for at least 3-6 months!!!

PGR3 - if only this game was coming out for the 360 in the first 3 months i'd still buy it!!

COD2 - one of the best shooter franchises there is and the 360 version is better than the already superb PC version!

Condemed - From all reports, an absolutely superb & original title from SEGA!

Kameo - has killer app written all over it! Not personally my type of game but i'm probably in the minority! Loads of people are really looking forward to this.

Gears of War - looks outstanding and is due early in the new year - yet another killer app!

GR3 - anyone who knows anything about LIVE knows that the Ghost Recon series is massive online and this new 360 version is looking amazing...oh yet another killer app due in the new year!

Quake 4 - the current AAA title for PC - another massive game!

That just scratches the surface. Personally i've had the opposite problem! I've had to really limit myself to 2 games at launch because I know I won't have the time to do any more justice! I wish in a way that there were less games coming out as there's too many superb titles that I want!! :eek:

As GG says, look at the PS2! The only decent game was SSX and the next best one involved watching fireworks explode!

The 360 has easily the best launch line up ever seen for a console IMO.

7. longy

longy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    absolutely spot on !!! :thumbsup:

8. longy

longy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    just to add afew words, i hear this word killer app have u played these games?. gears of war is third person so that wont be much cop ,and pgr3 might not run at 60fps if it wont will be disasterous and cod2 looks ok but lets be serious it just looks like shallow rehash :thumbsdow

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    Of course i've not played these games, the thread is speculation based on what people have read from people who have played these games. PGR3 looks amazing, you show yourself up as knowing very little when you say it will be disasterous if it doesn't run at 60fps. Why 60fps, i'm strangely curious why people seem to get hung up on things running at 60fps?? Are they confusing fps with mhz? The eye is actually well tricked at 10fps believe it or not and at 30fps it sees the image as pretty much the same as 60fps. TV is broadcast at 25fps and even films range from 23 to 29fps but do you hear people moaning that the film was rubbish as it only ran at 29fps??

Of course not. I'd much rather they optimised a game to run at a constant 30fps than on the PC for example where it is allowed to fluctuate from say 20 - 60 FPS depending on how much is going on! It's those changes in frame rate that the brain picks up on, not the fact that it's running at 30 or 60 fps.

10. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    I've still not got my new HD tv to accompany my soon to be (hopefully) 360.

From all the screens/trailers (mostly PGR3 :thumbsup: ) I can't wait for this.

I remember first hooking up my Playstation (1) to my tv way back in the 90's and sticking Wipeout into the machine and....wow, was totally blown away. Compared to previous consoles that i'd had experience of, it was a significant advance.

Now, with the dawn on HD gaming (on consoles) i'm expecting to be blown away once more :) :)

11. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    I swear this forum is going to drive me mad one day! It's like frickin' Groundhog Day! I don't know what you're into Longy, but sweeping generalisations seem to be your thing. Isn't that the new title from EA?

GoW is 3rd person so it can't be much cop? Oh, so you missed the whole Tomb Raider thing then? Fair enough. Shame on them for trying something different.

PGR3 might not run at 60fps? Yeah, 'cos Forza and PGR2 were just rubbish weren't they? Please, you would not notice!

CoD2 a rehash? Did you ever play CoD on the PC? I assume not, as if you did you would pay anything to sign up to it again on a 32" HD screen with a new story, screaming 5.1, excellent scripted set-pieces and a real sense of atmosphere.

I'm beginning to hate the phrase "Killer App". what the fudge does it even mean? To me an application is Word or Excel. No one game is going to appeal to everyone, in much the same way as not everyone gets Elvis like they used to. If you can't see what's attractive about the 360, it obviously hasn't pushed your button yet, and more than likely never will. The new version of Live sold it to me alone. You are getting a £1500 PC gaming machine for £280 for crying out loud!

Not everything MS have done is great. I hate Gates as much as the next man for their proprietary nonsense. Yet, to be fair MS have proved themselves in the console world to be very accepting through the integration of iPods and PSPs. This should be encouraged, not brushed over.

Seriously, while there have been seriously good games on release day (Halo and Super Mario 64), no machine is defined by it's launch games. Me? I'm going to sit back in my lazy chair, crank up the 5.1, power up the 360 beast on Dec 2nd and get lost in the experience. I don't even care if I sound like an advert anymore, 'cos I've seen too much good stuff that suggests that the 'launch window' is going to give me all I need for a good 6 months.

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    Spot on Munks! That says everything my beer soaked brain was trying to say! I must admit it drives me mad just as much when people make such silly, unfounded and generic statements!

How, in the name of God can you say that all 3rd person games are not much cop! So the Ghost Recon games, the Metal Gear Solid games or the Splinter cell games are not much cop?? They are three of the most respected series of games in the war/stealth genre, if not in gaming full stop!

COD was and still is one of the best WW2 shooters going and by all accounts COD2 is another superb game. Yes it's a sequel and yes it plays in a similar style i.e. a very well scripted, full of action, cinematic WW2 FPS title. The online aspect will no doubt be as superb (if not better) than the original COD and all in all it should be one of the games of the year IMO! Just because it uses the same formula as the previous game does not make it "a shallow rehash"! I guess all of the Mario games are just shallow rehashes of the original or HL2 is just a shallow rehash of HL.

It really seems to me Longy, that you look in at gaming from afar casting generic aspersions at games.

There are two main points here and they are....

- The 360 line up is the best line up a launch console has seen. If you feel differently then show me a better one!

- As Loz says, you can't judge a consoles success on it's launch line up, no matter how good or bad it is. Look at the PS2, which had an awful launch line up, massive console shortages and hardly any decent games for ages! It went on to dominate the market with in excess of 90 million consoles sold to date!

13. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    I've had a pre-order on a 360 for over 2 months and a PV500 waiting for some 720p action but I must admit my interest is starting to waver a little now with more and more titles I was really interested in slipping into 2006.I don't like racing/sports games so my main interest is with Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero on Launch day so I'm really hoping Rare can return to form after 2 very weak Xbox ventures.

I'm measuring this launch against the xbox launch where I couldn't wait to get hold of Halo, and at the moment the 360 doesn't have a launch game that will sell systems. (Not that there will be any to sell in the stores !!)

I've just read the new EDGE and they seem to be cooling off the 360 too after a poor X05 Video Showreel.But hopefully when the reviews of Kameo start rolling in and it turns out to be as good as it should be I'll be gagging to get hold of my 360.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    Personally i'd say that PGR3 is a huge system seller! OK not everyone likes racing games but then not everyone likes FPS games, that doesn't make Halo not a system seller. I think that MS have tried to cover all of the bases with this release so that there's great Sports, Racing, FPS, RPG and 3rd person adventure games coming out.

The days of the 1 killer app are gone. Gamers now require a varied selection of great launch games covering as many of the generes as possible!

15. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    CAS and Lorenzini, I agree with you completely.

I was already planning my reply as I read through the thread, but after reading on I saw that you'd already spoken for me!

No one's played Gears of War (no one's really played anything yet), so all we have to go on are the previews we've seen. How anyone can say it won't be much cop based on what we've seen, I don't know.

If you're this uninspired by the XBox 360, cancel your pre-order and let it go to someone who's looking forward to it.

I'm having the same problem as CAS - deciding which 2 or 3 games to get on December 2nd. I've bought every major console since the NES, and I can't ever remember having that problem on launch day before.

16. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    But why oh why can't Microsoft launch a mouse/keyboard combi for the damn thing ? :mad:

Roll-on Halo 3 :D I just hope it's a lot better than the last instalment :rolleyes:
    The console looks pretty awesome :thumbsup: But dare I say that the Nintendo Revolution looks even more interesting - with its new revolutionary hand controller and sleek design ? :)

17. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Spot on, I'll just wait for the next installment of Big Brother instead.

err no I won't cause it's sh*t. At least there'll be something decent on TV when I get my 360. Roll on Perfect Dark! :smashin:

18. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    No decent FPS, bring on Rainbow Six to the 360 (though take it back to its RS6 3 roots)

19. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because that would suck. I don't want to have to sit at my table to play a console game. Wirelss controllers are king. Yeah I know theres not as much accuracy etc.

20. Corpsical

Corpsical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Well I'm looking forward to it, a little disappointed that it seems Oblivion isnt going to be with me until after Christmas but as long as PGR3 & Kameo make it then I'll be more than happy. I've also pre-ordered COD2, Condemded, GR3, Gears of War, PDZ, Quake 4 each of which looks like they will be fun, the more I see of PDZ the more fun I think its going to be, old school 'Goldeneye', not realistic but can put a smile on your face.

First time since the PS1 that I feel like a kid again waiting for Christmas :)

21. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Not enough games at launch? Blimey, some people are hard to please, or they're the type who rush through a game on 'easy' and then can't wait to brag that they've finished it. Where's the enjoyment in that?
    I like to take it slowly, look around for secrets etc. I'm still playing DOOM 3. and HALO took me months.
    As for a game being 'disastrous' because it runs at 30Hz, that's just playground talk.
    And 'no decent FPS'? I'd call QUAKE4 pretty decent. If any moaning minnie out there doesn't want his £1000-worth of graphics computer for £280, I'll gladly take it..

22. Cowden_harley

Cowden_harley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I can't wait and yes I am getting over excited but i don't care. Games are my greatest hobby. The satisfaction I get from a good game is unbelievable.
    I feel like a child at xmas, I feel a bit silly at times when im downloading trailers and getting butterflies watching the vids but I really, really can't wait and I'm so glad I pre-ordered early.

Its great to be part of a next-generation of gaming and its good to be part of a web community that feels the same way and is serious about its gaming.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

23. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I`m excited. Generally though, I think people have thier expectation level set way too high, they seem to think that "next-gen" is a synonym for toy story graphics and physics, with new gameplay modes.

It`s not helped by Sony and MS stking the fires, like Ken with his claim that PS3 "is capable of 120FPS". He`s just setting people up for disappointment. People should just enjoy it for what it is.

24. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I've never been able to understand the uber-geek ramblings about fps.

PGR2 ran at 30fps as was the best arcade racer of all time so far.

The human eye can only detect 25fps, any more than that and we miss frames. Unless you are part pigeon or housefly and can see at 100fps or something? :rolleyes: :D

25. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Forgot to mention GUN looks like a sleeper hit, and looks phenomenally expansive and deep.

Dead Or Alive 4 is THE reason i'm getting the x360 on launch. How could I forget? :D

26. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Cant wait for the 360 although Ive just realised that Im still going to suck at PGR but this time at least I'll look good at sucking !

27. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I agree with you 100% - We're not looking at a leap like there was from the 16-bit 2D consoles to the Playstation. All we're going to see is somewhat prettier graphics and the first batch of games aren't likely to be that much prettier than the best of what's available now.

Chances are that they'll have been rushed for the release of the console also, so will likely be less playable than they might otherwise have been.

The smart thing to do is wait at least until the PS3 comes out. Then see what the best machine for you is. By that time, prices will have fallen on the 360 and there are likely to be a second wave of much better releases.

Until then, I have a stack of unfinished and in some cases, barely played, high quality XBox games to keep me going. I'm in no rush to go next-gen at all.

Gav

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    That was exactly my point. People detect changes in FPS not whether a game is running at 30 or 60 fps. Funnily, it's often PC gamers that ramble on about FPS (for some odd reason they seem obsessed by it!) and it's PC games where the FPS is not optimised at a certain level. Instead the frame rate increases and decreases with the action on all but the most powerful PC's!

Well I guess they won't have full screen AA and higher resolutions to boast about when the 360 comes out :smashin: .

:rolleyes: Why is this the smart thing to do? Why not wait until a year after the PS3's release then as there will be the 2nd wave of much better releases on that and the price will have dropped.

I'm buying a 360 for the same reason that I buy any games console. There are so many great games coming out for it! Infact there hasn't been any where near as many great games come out for any of the current gen consoles all year as is coming out for the 360 at launch. We are being truly spoilt for choice with the 360 launch and I can only see thevolume of great games increasing as gaming continues to become more & more mainstream.

29. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    For me, next-gen is not just about eye candy. OK, I'm not saying they're unimportant (I just splashed out for a new HD screen, so it'd be a bit stupid of me to deny I like graphical quality), but what really hooks me is the increase of scale and depth that should be included in next-gen titles.

Huge worlds with more characters inch the player towards believability a bit more, and the community aspects of Live, including innovations like GothamTV allow for a race to be more than just the 8 1st hand participants. This is first wave - just imagine what they'll be doing in a couple of years!

30. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Undoubtedly the enhanced hardware will lead in the long term to games with greater scope. Some of the stuff we're playing now on the XBox just couldn't have been done on older hardware so I'm not disputing the value of progress.

However, initially all the 360 will have to offer is eye-candy. And even then, not even at the full level of it's capabilities. That's why I'll wait a bit longer before going next-gen. However, I fully understand the point of view of someone who wants to get one straight away.

Gav