360 and WMV9/hd playback

fishman09

hi guys

just wanted to get other peeps opinions on this side of the 360 functionality.

i downloaded a few of the wmvhd samples from the microsoft website, to see how they looked on the 360. now the dash has been updated obviously wmv playback is all in.

i tried playback on both a data dvd and via usb, but have found that the video quality is quite poor. the pic itself is great, but theres a noticeable lack of smoothness. not quite jerkiness or judder, but it is no where near as smooth as my htpc playback.

anyone tried these or similar files via the dvd drive or usb stick? how was playback?

i use a core 360 with no hd (only mem card)...via vga at 1360 x [email protected] into a sony kdlv2000

its got to the point where i'm strarting to think that the vga port on the sony ain't up to the job and that component may offer a better experience?

cheers

fish

bigjonnyauk

Novice Member
ok im not to teccy savvy but am i right in thinking your vga cable from the xbox goes into back of sony then into the tv for multiple connections

have you tried a dirct connection striaght from the xbox360 vga into the back of you tv if it has vga

DJBenz

anyone tried these or similar files via the dvd drive or usb stick? how was playback?
I downloaded all the files from the MS site and they played flawlessly from DVDr. The Spider-Man 3 trailer, I downloaded to a USB stick and that played perfectly too.

360 Premium via VGA at 1360 x 768 into a Toshiba 37WLT66

Mr Quint

Distinguished Member
360 Premium via VGA at 1360 x 768 into a Toshiba 37WLT66
DJ, sorry, slightly off topic here but i am thinking of getting the Tosh 37wlt68. I was just wondering how the 66 is with the 360 and have you tryed the componant cable at all?

Also how's the screen with DVD Via RGB or do i need a new DVD player?

Cheers mate.

fishman09

@DJBenz..thanks for the info m8.

in effect it means i've either got a prob with my 360 or sony lcd...bearing in mind that loads of other peeps with a 360 also state that wmv's play flawlessly too

with games the 360 is awesome so i'm not inclined to think its that...i even considered that the dvd tray/drive was knackered, but then the same poor results from usb?!?!?!

the only diff between our set-ups is the diff tele (obviously lol) and the fact that you've got the premium with (i asume) hard drive attatched. i can only assume its either my lack of hard drive (maybe wmv files need to cache in the hdd before playing...tho unlikely), or the vga connection on the sony is a bit naff. the games themselves look awesome through the vga, but i have to say that even dvd playback via vga leaves me underwhelmed

the question now is, do i pay £20 to 'try' component leads to see if that improves things? is it possible that the vga port of the sony simply doesn't like video as opposed to game graphics which i suppose would mimic closest what the port is for = pc input

anyway thanks for the replies so far, ideally tho i need someone with a sony kdl of some description to test this for me too

but thanks for the reply m8 :smashin:

cheers

fish

Scotty

I have tried a number of the demo files including Chronicles of Riddick and Spider Man 3 from a memory stick through both component and VGA at both 720p and 1080i to both my Sharp LCD tv and my Sony HS50 and all stutter badly

However the same files played back from my HTPC to the projector at 720p 48hz and they are super smooth.

I would surmise it is down to the dreaded 3:2 pull down because the 360 outputs at 60hz
And the files are at 24fps

dalboy

Novice Member
Sorry if this sounds a dumb q but are you saying you can burn a data dvd with .wmv HD clips from the MS site, and play them on the 360. nothing else to it?

fishman09

@dalboy...yes m8..just make sure you've updated to the newest update/dash via xbox live...it allows wmv9/hd playback via usb/data cd/dvd etc

its a great addition to the xbox's ability to play files..shame (on my 360) they look great still...but rubbish moving

@Scotty thanks for the reply m8,...at least if other peeps are experiencing the same prob then i know its not just me...strange tho...how come DJBenz reckoned on his 360 they were super smooth?..either we all get the 3:2 or we don't....theres gotta be a setting issue or summit with our set-up?

cheers

fish

dalboy

Novice Member
just tried it on my 47 tosh

dont get any juddering etc... well tell a lie i got it on the taxi 3 trailer clip from microsofts WMV HD clips but the other 6 i got from there were fine

one question though (sorry if this is post jumping), but the quality was excellent but not PIN SHARP on the backgrounds - like if you look closely the backgrounds seem slightly gritty

my question is, using an HD TV with a 360 via Component and watching one of these clips in 1080 or 720, are you supposed to be getting the best picture possible. I didnt think the 360 could play HD clips without the HD DVD add-on...?

leef1234

It can play more than clips, watched loads of HD stuff on my 360 over tha last few weeks, movies, tv episodes etc.

I've no idea how those WMV clips are made/encoded or anything else that will effect the quality, but ive certainly seen alot better quality clips than that.

The Samsung HD Demo clip is unbelievably good.

Scotty

If there is a setting we’ve missed I’d be interested to know :lease:

What I will add is that movies from the HD DVD drive are no where near as bad; in fact you’re hard pushed to spot them, all though they’re still there.