1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 and monitor

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Kong, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Kong

Kong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have a dell 2001fp, can this be used with the 360 if i get the VGA adapter? the monitor has DVI-D and composite connections.

the monitor is not widescreen, what will happen, as i understand that the 360 will be using HD and HD is widescreen.

my monitor has a resolution of 1600x1200, which is higher than 720p, so does that mean i can view HD? also how do i know if my mnoitor is progressive scan or interlaced?

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,174
    I dont see any reason why you shouldnt be able to use your monitor, just get the VGA cable, hook it up and everything should be fine.

Also, ifyour monitor is not widescreen (I would imagine the majority are not) then it will probaley just display the image with black bars at the top and bottom that is unless the 360 has a method of cropping the image from 4:3 displays.

Afraid I cant help you with your last question as I dont know much about HD, all I know is that playing my 360 through my monitor is probaley the closest thing I will get to HD.

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    360 over VGA cable is apparently 1024x720, so bars top and bottom and you'll need a VGA-DVI adapter.

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,174
    Can you not just plug the VGA cable straight into your monitor? as from the pictures it looks like the same connection.

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Not since the OP mentioned his monitor has DVI input - totally different connector, not to mention digital signal rather than analog which VGA is.

6. Kong

Kong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have an analog and digital connection on my monitor, which would be best?
    would it be best to use a proper HDTV rather than a monitor or is there not much difference?

all this HD stuff is drving me crazy, just too much to take in, and not sure what to do or look for.

7. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Seeing as there's no digital output from the 360, anything you do to use the DVI connection is going to involve another A/D conversion - not the best solution.
    So, either VGA on your current monitor, or LCD TV with component, and HDMI/DVI-HDCP for when you get HD serious, which you will once the 360 shows you what lies ahead.