• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

360 and External USB HDD

Slider09

Hi guys

I currently stream avi's (both SD and HD) from my PC to watch through my Xbox 360. I have the wireless adapter for the 360. I am thinking about buying an external USB hard disk drive to store the films on. If I connect the external USB HDD to the Xbox, could I transfer the AVI's from my PC to the external drive via the wireless connection. Or, would I have to physically connect the external HDD to the PC?

Why don't MS allow you to store your music / videos on the Xbox's HDD? Why is it only there for downloadable content?

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Hi guys

I currently stream avi's (both SD and HD) from my PC to watch through my Xbox 360. I have the wireless adapter for the 360. I am thinking about buying an external USB hard disk drive to store the films on. If I connect the external USB HDD to the Xbox, could I transfer the AVI's from my PC to the external drive via the wireless connection. Or, would I have to physically connect the external HDD to the PC?

Why don't MS allow you to store your music / videos on the Xbox's HDD? Why is it only there for downloadable content?

Probably a few reasons why but mostly so they can never be accused of aiding piracy (what percentage of people would have 100% legally acquired material ?) and secondly so they have complete control over their Hardware i.e future updates and features could be added via system updates.

If streaming is working well for you why not just connect the external drive to the PC. Thats how mine is setup, 1 x 1Tb Lacie with all music and video shared via Media player 10.

DrinksInBars

Hi guys

get a usb harddrive and back up your stuff to it, thats what i do. ensure its nfs though, otherwise it will only read the first 16gb in each partition.

Fe_man2000

At present you cannot send files to a USB deivce thats connected to the Xbox - so it will need to be connected to a PC to move files to it.

More importantly MS will be allowing music and movies to be stored on the xbox Harddrive as of novemeber when the new dashboard is released.

Google MS xbox experience to see it in action.

Slider09

More importantly MS will be allowing music and movies to be stored on the xbox Harddrive as of novemeber when the new dashboard is released.

Really, fantastic. You have just saved me buying an external hdd :clap:

Slider09

Fe_man2000

yep as mentioned above - whitedevil your out of the loop on this one - been able to connect a USB drive with music and movies on it for years.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom