36" widescreen or 42" rear projection

C

Carvis

I'm looking at getting a new tv, just wondering what people thought was better rear projection or a standard widescreen. and if anyone had an recommendations.
Sound is not important as I have a sony strdb940 amp, so I'm only interested in pricture quality.

thanks

I'm no expert on this, but I'm thinking about getting a rear projection myself so I've been looking into it a bit. So far I've found out that no rear projection unit will have a better quality picture than a standard crt widescreen, so if your after the best picture don't go for rp. I think the rp can have a narrow viewing angle so you have to sit at the right height and angle to the screen. They also come in bloody huge cabinets which look like they'll be overbearing in the average living room. You can get LCD rear projection unit which have a smaller cabinet however.

That said, the most important thing I'm looking for at the moment is a large screen, so I still fancy a 42 inch rp. Its just a matter of trawling through all the reviews to find which ones have the best picture quality.

I have a 40" Tosh RPTV and the picture quality from a digital source, particularly DVD is superb, it's as good, if not better than any CRT TV I've seen.

John

I had a panny 36 crt and it was a great set except it had the "moire" effect with an ntsc source. I got this replaced with a Tosh 42 RP. I personally think this is a better set. the picture is fantastic for dvds. As for tv, well I still have the old aerial and the picture is fine for me. The viewing angle is ok unless you are looking up or down on too much of an angle or too much to the side. if i was you I would get the Tosh RP. The larger screen makes up for the tiny tiny difference in pic quality. And I mean TINY. HTH

I have the 44" Sony PS44 and pic quality is superb - great for DVDs. True you have to be at the right height and angle but its just a question of setting up your room correctly. My parents have a 32" Sony and everytime I see it - it looks soooo small !

I'm getting totally jealous now. Just looked at the PS44 on Sony's website and it looks awesome. If I'm not being too rude, could I enquire as to how much you paid for it any where ? Is it a CRT or LCD projector, and can you remove the side parts from the base cabinet ?

I paid 1,900 for it from Sony Centre (special deal as I bought STRDB1070 amp & 700NS DVD as well) - you can get it cheaper now as newer version coming out (i think its identical except it has 2 RGB connections)

Yes you can remove the ugly looking side cabinets - they cost extra anyway.

Great TV

One thing to add... a CRT picture will hold up far better if there is normally any light in your viewing room (daylight is the bane of viewing, with projectors and RPTVs arguably suffering most heavily). If you watch mainly at night with thick curtains then good RPTVs will show a barely noticeable reduction in PQ over CRT, especially with DVDs.

Also, how big is your viewing room? Traditionally it is accepted that you should sit roughly 3 x the size of your screen away from screen with TVs. So, a 36" screen means you should be sitting around 9ft to 10ft away. If you sit further away than that, the bigger RP screen may be the way to go.

If you want to be technically correct about it though, a decent CRT TV should provide better PQ (in terms of darker blacks, brighter whites and a sharper image) than a similarly decent RPTV.

If you use mainly R1 DVDs and have a compatible DVD player, maybe consider the new Toshiba CRTs which now allow component in connectivity.

Recently just purchased the TOSHIBA 56" !!!!!! RP and OOh my god it is Bloody fantastic. For watching DVDs there is no comparison with an CRT Tv. RP rules supreme. All this talk of watching it at certain angles I wdnt worry about most people are going to have direct viewing anyway. For normal terrestial TV its perfect no complaints here. In truth you will be getting your TV for the movies and there aint anything better than having a bitchin screen rather than a crap 32". You decide whether your content on having an average everyday screen or else a cinema screen in your home.;) Good Luck with your choice but I would urge you (if you have the space) to go for a RP nothing makes you feel at the cinema more.

thanks for everyones help,

I think I'll be looking at rear projection, I don't watch too much tv mainly watch dvds.

Also I compared the size between a 36 inch tv and 42 inch rp and there wasn't that much difference infact the ones I compared the rp was only 100mm wider and was 200mm shorter in depth.

Thanks again for you input. Anyone have and suggestions on where to but, I 'm thinking about getting it from unbeatable.co.uk.

cheers

I'm facing the same situation, 36" CRT or 42" RPTV. I think the RP is going to be better for TV and DVD, but I also intend to hook my PC up to play old SNES games on an emulator, and to play games consoles (PS2 etc) on it.

Anyone here use RPTV for games? what's it like?

Oh, try here for good prices on Tosh stuff.

>>>LINK<<<

:)

Reading with interest peoples views on RP v Crt. I recently chucked a Philips 36" crt and replaced with a 50" Tosh RP mainly due to the fact that I enjoy going to the cinema but don't get much chance to, so the next best thing was a bigger tele.
It has to be said that I was absolutely gobsmacked by the sheer size when it arrived, even more so cos it was also sitting on the extra cabinet(I'm 6' 3" and it comes up to my shoulder). It makes the viewing angle perfect, slightly above eye level when seated.
One thing must be said though. If you don't have an excellent aerial signal, the large screen size will show up the imperfections more than on a smaller crt. But connected to a DVD with a good qual scart the picture is amazing. It's just different to a crt thats all, due to the way the the picture is beamed onto the screen.
Come on, who's been to a cinema and seen a perfect picture. At my local UCI the bottom 3-4 feet of the screen has a blue haze on it !!!

Of course size will be a strong point when choosing between the 2. But, come on now, if its quality you want, NO (not right now anyway) Rear Proj TV will beat a CRT tube tv for quality.

So you have to think for yourself here....does size really matter ? ;)

Of course size matters. Why would anyone want to watch a movie on a small screen, 28"or less, when they could have a something far greater. Isn't that what we go to the cinema for.
We had friends round last night. They came into the lounge and just stood there for about 10mins,not moving, eyes open wide in amazement. You can tell I like it can't you!!

If you goto the cinema cause it has a big screen then your going for the wrong reasons.....If I were to goto the cinema, I go for the big screen entertainment yes, but I also go for the sound experience and for the social side of things to name but a few.

If you look at his question, my answer is answering the question he originally asked, theres a little jump in size between 42 and 36, but as they are his only choice and the size isnt too different then the crt wins hands down !

this part is for you only..."Once again, I say, between, 36" and 42", does size really matter when the quality is very different between them both, in fav of the crt of course"

Is that better for you ?

Meant to say also Dapper Dan......NO-ONE stands and stares at screens for 10 mins in amazement and says nothing.

All these "jaw-droppingly brilliant" and "eye's popping out your head", "amazing", "astounding" comments are for magazines and magazines only.

They are figure of speeches, people dont actually do this...!

Obviously not you, miserable bugger.

You really have to make some compromises in all of this.

RP will give superb results from DVD with RGB or component.

But as someone overleaf said, the bigger the screen, the more that any blemishes on the original signal will show.

I watched the Last Night of the Proms tonight on RP from a Sky Digital RGB signal and some of the pictures were dreadful - especially those from Gateshead which looked as if they came down a phone line.

Similarly VHS video can look very dodgy on a 42" - or bigger - screen.

But if you have a good source the big screen is mighty impressive.

As for CRT vs LCD vs Plasma vs RP - they all have strengthts and weaknesses.

However what RP does is makes big pictures more affordable.

Next time I may look at a front projector, but not until they get a lot quieter and cheaper.

In the meantime it's RP for me...

I recently upgraded from a 32" WS to a 40" RP (Tosh) and I must say that the size difference was HUGE, 10" difference in diagonal 'viewable screen size' (as well as picture quality).

I'd like to put and to some myths about RPs, although I can only speak for the Tosh that I own.

There is NO difference in the picture quality whatever the horizontal viewing angle. Vertical angle yes, but only if you stand up or lie on the floor when watching the TV!

As long as there is no light shining directly onto the screen then the picture is perfectly good in broad sunny daylight as it is at night (Doesn't this go for any screen device?)

100Hz is makes a BIG difference. I watch all sorts of material, incl. sports and I find it is much more solid, stable picture and easier on the eyes than a 50Hz flicker.

Analog TV looks fine as long as you have a good reception.
Same goes for VHS, although SVHS looks flawless.

Don't forget that a 42" RP has a 42" viewable screen size, where as a 32" is only 30" viewable, so I guess 36" is about 34" viewable.

:)

Got to go along with what Kevo says about RP.

I am inputing analogue terrestial by RF, S-VHS by SCART, Sky Digital by RGB SCART, DVD by component and my son's Play Station 2 by composite phono.

Picture quality when it varies, is down to the source material rather than the TV.

And that includes dodgy transmissions on both analogue and digital.

As I said earlier, picture quality can vary from programme to programme - and even within the same programme - depending on transmission links and other variables.

But it's still pretty impressive when it's on and knocks the 32" CRT model I had sideways for sheer impact.

And now I have second thought on buying 36 pixel+, after reading all your opinions on RP. I've seen those many times on store, but with wrong light and too much disturbance..
Never satisfied there.
So, which one of RP's then to choose. I have amp and 6.1.. now something to watch.. Sony, Tosh, Pana, JVC, ?? 40"- something would do.
I'll settle for something like Try&Buy with my dealer..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom