1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" Widescreen. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Pulsar, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Hello,

I am doing some research for a friend of mine who is in the market for a 36" widescreen TV. It was 2 years ago that I purchased a Toshiba 36" picture frame set, that I have not passed on to my parents, so my knowledge is not that up to date.

The main requirement for the new set is very good picture quality. The main source for the set will be digital TV from a RGB scart lead, with a secondary source being DVD via RGB scart or component video. I believe that the biggest advance in TV's recently has been prog scan technology, but with TV sets I am not sure how it works. (I use a projector now) Can a progscan TV set de-interlace a non prog scan signal taken via component video from a DVD player, or must the signal from teh DVD player already be de-interlaced (prog scan)?

It is prefferable that the case is not massive, ala the Tosh picture frames. Also surround sound is not essential.

Suggestions please.

Rob

2. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Rob - I have just been doing the rounds and looking at new TV's and just used my eyes to tell me which was giving the best picture.

I checked out the Panasonic Acuitys - £2000 for a 36", the Toshiba Picture Frames which are again about £2000 and I alos looked at the Philips Pixel Plus models which I bought.

Its has quite honestly the most amazing picture I have ever seen on a TV set and it loaded (maybe overloaded) with features... the other main advantage was the cost - I got mine for £1200 which I think is pretty wicked given that the best internet price I could find was £1350 odd...

It has 4 scart sockets - two are RGB - and S video input on the side but no progressive scan - I dont feel like I am missing out... quite simply the best TV I have ever seen but does not seem to get a mention here!

Happy hunting

andymc

3. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps too many forum regulars have already been bitten by Philips QC issues:(

I too had a P+ set (32pw9527) and was very happy with it until I noticed the black bars...... Luckily for me the tube blew a couple of weeks later and I managed to get a full refund from Comet.

I've now got a PD30 on order from HOF and am looking forward with some apprehension to the moment I discover which of the various "quirks" documented in other threads my particular one has! Fingers crossed....:smashin: