1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" TV without 100Hz or picture processing

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by andyatkins, Dec 19, 2003.

1. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone adivse if there is a current 36" TV out there that doesn't have 100Hz or picture processing, or that you can defiantely disable all the 'clever' processing & just display a true clean picture?

I understand the Sony's have DRC50, DRC 100 & an off position- but does this mean it is definately a pure 50Hz undulterated pictue that is then shown?

Thanks in advance

2. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify I meant to say definately, but althought it's a typo definately better describes my opinion on the lousy image quality we have to put up with when the manufacturers force us to use the crappy 100Hz mode!

3. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bugger - a typo on top of a typo - meant to say defiantely above....

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You can edit posts by the way.

I have a Sony 44" RPTV with DRC-MF. The options are Normal (100Hz), DRC-100 (100Hz vertical resolution doubled), and DRC-50 (50Hz - vertical and horizontal resolutions doubled). There is no unadulterated 50Hz mode.

I use DRC-50 almost exclusively, not because I find the 100Hz processing obtrusive, but because DRC-50 gives a beautifully detailed and film-like picture without any trace of scan lines.

The 100Hz modes are also excellent and I have never noticed any processing artifacts. I just prefer DRC-50.

I don't think 100Hz is necessarily bad all the time. I think a lot depends on the processing power of the tv implementing it. If they're not powerful enough to keep up with rapid moving images then you get artifacts.

5. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 36" nx200 sony, you have DRC (digital realitic creation) makes the picture better on analogue, removes some fuzz. DRC 50 - 50hz drc 100 - 100hz. off = 50 hz and no DRC. 100hz drc rocks. shame there is no 75hz drc!

6. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I use a Toshiba 36ZD26P, calibrated with Avia from picture mode 3 (disables all "picture enhancements" like SVM etc.) in Progress Mode which is 50Hz. This gives one of the most natural pin sharp images I have seen on a CRT.

100 Hertz, 100 Schmertz!

7. Dog-rat

Dog-rat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Biboo
    I have had a tosh32zd26p for a week know and have had to push the contrast up to 78 to counteract a very dark screen which before i pushed it up you could not see anything in the "American werwolf cinema scene" it was so dark, I did read that contast should be set back to 30 but this makes it impossible to watch,
    Can I ask what is Calibrated with Avia ?
    regards

8. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Although many sets have the option to switch off most of the processing and some have a 50Hz option, the CRT designs are fundamentally different which means that even in 50Hz mode they do not offer the same picture as a 50Hz set. The video information is still read into and out of RAM which is the real weak link with all digital TVs. Current technology does not allow any 100Hz set to match the resolution of a 50Hz set due to sampling rate limitations. In a couple of generations' time when sampling rates increase we will get there, but not yet. I'm almost certain that you will not find a 36" set with no processing as current marketing dictates that 100Hz is better and manufacturers would have trouble selling a 36" set without it.

9. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Dog-Rat,

If you have a very dark screen I would suggest increasing brightness rather than contrast. I have calibrated my ZD with Avia, which is a set-up DVD allowing correct setting of the various picture parameters such as brightness, contrast etc.

Try these settings out, make sure you make your adjustments from Picture Mode 3.

Contrast 54
    Brightness 57
    Colour 49
    Tint -12
    Sharpness -12
    Scan Mode Progress
    DNR Off
    Black Stretch Off

This isn't the ideal way to set your picture up, but it should give you somewhere to start from; you can then increase brightness if the picture is still too dark.

bibooo

10. Dog-rat

Dog-rat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Biboo
    I will try that the help is much welcome, where can i get avia disc ? or would it not help
    regards
    & Merry Xmas to all

11. Dog-rat

Dog-rat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Bibooo
    Like a dog with a bone now !
    Why do the Adjustments from pic mode 3, this seems to be preset & Cannot be changed ?
    also I have chosen to use the AV choice for connections as i am using scarts not s video is that correct ?
    DVD into av 2
    sat box into av 3
    ?

Thanks again

Ps is it form to list the bits and bobs under your sig or not ?

12. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'll try to be quick and to the point as I've had a few lagers and my typing skills have suffered somewhat.

Firstly you want to connect your DVD player to AV1 which is the only RGB enabled scart socket on this TV. Make sure you go into the DVD player's set up and check that it's out-putting RGB.

Adjustments made to any of the 3 picture modes then become Picture Mode M. If you start with Picture Mode 3 and change the settings, your newly calibrated picture will now be Picture Mode M. Picture Mode 3 disables all of the added "picture improvements" like SVM and other irritatting effects.

Avia can be purchased on one of the Power Buys on this forum, have a look here.

By all means list your AV gear in your signature, many members do.

I hope everyone on AV Forums has a great Christmas and an etxra special new year. :smashin:

Cheers,
    bibooo