1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" TV - Tosh Picture frame - buy or wait?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DJM, Dec 11, 2002.

1. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I know there are plenty of opinions, and you all probably are fed up of answering posts like this, but I have had a look around and can't see any posts which are quite what I am looking for.

Situation is that I had an OK TV and video but no DVD. Couldn't afford all together and reading up on all the data, the Sony DAVS800 seemed to be the best home cinema in a box solution at the time. So I bought one. Now I want to upgrade my TV. I would love a plasma, but can't afford it, but want to get a big TV so am looking at a 36" CRT.

The Toshiba 36ZP18 seems to have good write ups, looks quite good for it's size and the pictures I have seen seem to be quite good. The downside is that the Q version has lost the media window and there is no progressive scan mode.

In short my question is, will my Sony DAVS800 work well with the Toshiba 36ZP18 , and is the TV worth buying or would you recommend anything better for the same sort of money? I also intend to buy a terrestial Digital TV set top box, so any thoughts on how this will affect my decision. Will waiting a couple of months get me something better?

I read with interest the massive 36ZD26 thread, but couldn't see why this would be a better set. Especially as it looks really big and ugly. I also couldn't see that Philips Pixel plus made much difference to the picture I was looking at. Am I missing something.

Sorry for long post, and thanks in advance for your comments.

2. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    djm

best thing for you is to go see as many tvs as possible and then narrow your choices to a couple and go see them again until you make your decision.

As for the pixel plus, I have seen the 32pw9617 recently with pixel plus and thought it was really really clear. Actually I was amazed at the dvd playback. I didnt see it on regular tv signal but saw the 32pw9527 which is the same but without the dolby digital installed inside the set and the picture was quite good.

the films I did see where gladiator (amazing), shrek (amazing),jurassik park (amazing).

I read some other peoples opinions and they say it is like watching a film from a video camera (found that a lot of B** s**)

so do some research before you part with your money

Im set on the 9617 when and if the prices go down and I want to see the fq80 of sony. Have seen the 32zp26 of toshiba and it is good but i think the philips is better thus more expensive.

Was impressed with the new jvc range as well

3. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well I had hoped that somebody would have gone through the same decision making process I am going through and would have an opinion. I have looked at the 36" CRTs again over the weekend, and still can't see much difference in them apart from aethstetics.

Am I missing something? Sorry if this has come up before, but I can't find another thread like this. If there is can somebody direct me to it.

Thanks

4. Tony_Cook

Tony_Cook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    95% of the time my Tosh 36zd26 is fine. But those dark bars just keep catching my eye. *You really need to spend at least a few hours with this telly to make sure you are happy with it.*

This TV is also BIG. I know all 36ers are, but the large cabinet and framing just make BIG, seem REALLY BIG. I think the Philips 36 Pixel Plus has the right styling, shame about the processing.

5. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in exactly the same boat DJM. Pondering over which 36" TV to get. Been on over a week now and I've plumped for the 36ZP18Q

the thing is if you wait another couple of month's what else will be coming out the week after that?. It's always the same new technology

how much have you seen the 36ZP18 for, my best is £1289 so far with a few emails pending on other prices too due to pricematching

I thought for £1289 compared to other TV's at that price you can't go wrong at that price.

From all the magazine/website/user reviews I have seen no really bad negative points, all mostly praising the picture quality and stylish looks. Read absolutely loads my head is spinning

I like the picture frame too, as it will be smaller than most 36"s and my current 28"TV has 6inch speakers either side so it shouldn't be much bigger

so I guess I'm gonna order one very soon so I get it next week

that is unless someone can point me to a 36" TV that is better than the Toshy for around £1300

6. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's a tricky one isn't it. I had hoped this post would elicit a load of suggestions and opinions, but no such luck.

All the reviews I have read of the 36ZP18 have been good and looking around the bazzars, the picture looks as good as the Sony, Philips and Panasonic. The size is good, but the features are a bit slim on the ground.

Best quote I had was £1300 delivered and installed.

The weren't sure they could get it by Xmas, so I have decided to wait and see if there are any deals in the sales. If not, I can still go for the tosh.

Let me know how you got on and whether you are happy with the TV

7. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In two minds again now DJM

Went to Comet/Currys & Sound & Vision and had a look at TV's

Toshiba 36ZP18 / Phillips 36PW9607C / Sony KV36FS76

and I was impressed by Sony overall especially because of its DRC. Pixels are just crammed into the screen as I squashed my nose upto screen. I would like to know how much of the screen they actually cover compared to the others

picture quality was the best aswell as features, dissapointingly the Toshiba was the poorest quality in most departments

The Sony split screen is fabulous, you can split screen 50/50 for TEXT/TV or TV/TV or have 80% text and a small view of TV picture which itself is high quality (10" or so). You could preview all other channels also, a bit like a scene selection from a DVD

One of my tests when looking at picture sharpness is to put the text on. Nose on the screen, you can then look at the no's ( I use the 100) in white and u can normally see a red blur to the right of each number. I couldn't see anything on the Sony!

When you have bright colours like yellow text on a blue background. The yellow just merges into the blue but on the Sony you could actually see the edge of text not a colour blur. Very impressive

I also looked at the logos & text on the DVD menu screen and again the Sony was the clearest with both my nose on the screen and also from a distance

moving pictures at high speed also looked great on Sony

Plenty of scarts at the back of Sony too (4)

Toshiba also didnt look as nice in the flesh as pics I have seen on the net, so overall I was dissapointed by Toshiba and greatly impressed by Sony

Getting the Sony now as I think extra money is worth it, but in two minds now whether to get FS76 or NX200 as difference is £250 but the NX200 is digitial and newer model and has a couple of extra features. Currys are charging £2100+ for 32" digitial model (hahaha), got home a sourced the 36" Sony NX200 for around £1800-£1850. so not bad £300 cheaper than the 32" from Currys. I felt sorry for people in the shop buying some TV's. I felt like telling them how much they could save elsewhere

get a Sony DJM if you can. I suggets you go to your nearest Currys etc to have a look for yourself, and you may just decide to get one also

p.s. tell the assistant not to bother you, as they just get in the way, when they start asking YOU about the spec :)

The Sony 36FS76 is available in Comet for £1800 with DVP-NS305NS DVD & SLV-SE720 video, but online you can get TV for less than £1500

8. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ownwed a tosh 18P (x2) and Q (x2) and now have the sony fs76, I am happier with it, but all 36 TV have their faults.
    The Philips pixel plus , I think, is awful, and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. The digital artifacts on fast moving objects are just to obvious. Also the worst aspect is the effect that the processing has on moving images/ objects ( say cars ), they seem to glide, very 'un-natural', how anyone can watch in this mode is beyond me? Buts its hourses for courses and buy what you like.
    The sound on the tosh is great for built in, bit the slight picture flicker ( v. noticable on 100Hz setting ) poor hor. geom., and colur staining ,pushed me to the sony. It is wider but has a better side profile. Obviously the sound is no match for the tosh. The sony does cost more , but the 18q is now relatively old, some extra as prog scan on new ZD).
    My Sony was set up poorly but I have now had that corrected.
    The picture on DVD is not as impressive as the tosh ( using component inputs ) but is less tiring to the eye. ( I feel my Tosh DVD RGB output, may not be that great either)
    If you do uses teletext the sony text processor is quicker and displays sub page availability.
    Thats my tupence worth.

9. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MackemX, thanks for your comprehensive note here. I've been thinking of getting a 36Zp18Q, but haven't had the chance to fully test the picture out yet. I've also been a little dubious of the sound quality from tiny built in speakers.

thanks

mikef

10. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replies guys. :D

I have looked at the Sony and the Tosh quite close up and found that in some shops the Tosh is miles better and in others, the Sony was better. I was in Oxford St last week and in one shop the Tosh and Sony were side by side. Both set up well and it was pretty difficult to decide which was better.

MackemX, I wasn't sure about the Tosh styling even from pictures, but it has grown on me. Strangely, it looks much better on a normal TV stand rather than the one it comes with. Somehow it becomes more modern and slimline rather than retro.

The sound I am less worried about as my Sony DAVS800 is pretty good anyway, and I am tempted by a set top Digital box so would drive the sound through the DAVS800 anyway. But MikeF, remember that the Tosh has satelite speakers as well, and these really help the sound.

Matheu, did you return your Toshs because they had problems or trade in as the new model came out? Your post suggests the former, in which case I am a bit concerned about the Tosh quality control. I tend to agree with you about the Philips Pixel plus though.

I realise the Tosh is getting a bit old, but I have a limit on what I can afford to spend and I think the Sony @ £1800 is beyond it. However, as I said having seen both side by side, I couldn't see much difference. The lack of features on the Tosh is a bit of a pain.
    Maybe the Sony will come down in the sales but I doubt it.

Keep posting as you try the TVs, as I need to make a decision reasonably soon before the mone burns a hole in my pocket.

11. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DJM, I quoted the NX200 at around £1800, the FS76 is avaialable nearer the £1450 mark delivered which makes the extra £'s not that big a difference

one dissapointing thing is the twin tuner in the NX200, one is digitial and one is analogue. So I dunno if you can get the same side by side pics. Don't think you can tho

I have emailed SONY for some features differences and am waiting for their repl

but I am now more for the FS76 than paying extra £300 for a digitial tuner and memorycard reader and also losing some features

One good thing about the NX200 is that it has DRC120, double horizontal lines and double vertical lines

Brilliant for DVD's etc

You can also get the Sony on buy now pay in 12 months which is also attracting (£130pm for FS76 or £155pm for NX200 if you saved up)

p.s. you can also get the Sony's with extras with £80 off the price

i.e.
    NS305 DVD for extra £37 costs around £125
    NS405 DVD for extra £53 costs around £140
    NS305 DVD for extra £37 costs around £125
    etc, all DVD packages have £80 off, so it makes it again more attracting to me

NJOY

12. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    how come the sony is always that bit more expensive than say toshiba or phillps? It cant be the picture quality as side by side Ive seen enough of them and cant say they stand out for the extra price. So Im assuming it is the quality of the components?
    Ive just bought a sony dv camcorder and that is excellent but want to see the fq80 tv, saw the philips 32pw9617 and was really impressed on dvd but now many people complain about the artifacts. Some owner on this forum said the 32pw9617 has like 2 seconds of artifact on a two hour movie, why would he lie? Unless he is a philips rep.

evans

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DJM

I bought one of the first 36ZPs and if I was making the choice again now I'd buy it again.

This is a stunning TV when set up properly and, at the money you've been quoted, it's a bargain - remember some people will have paid 2 grand for one of these babies.

Three of my friends have this TV on my recommendation - one's my boss, one is my MD's son, the other was best man at my wedding - for phuxake, what more recommendation do you need :D

Buy it now, enjoy it - but if you don't like it send it back under the distance selling rules.

DON'T go off comparisons made in a shop they rarely have them set up right. Believe me, I wouldn't have bought this TV based on what I saw in shops and that would have been a shame.

Good luck

Cheers
    OG

14. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did return the Toshs' because of the continual geometry and staining and flicker.
    Bear in mind that I am not that suceptable to flicker either, check the tosh on 100 Hz, it is unwatchable anyone whos says otherwise, is either blind or lying. The problem is almost cured in auto but not enough for my satifaction. The set , now though is great value from some deals, the Sony was 1570 price matched by J lewis with the free 5 year warantee.
    The geometry for me was a pain as the horizontzl always slped and thus banner like TV guides 'clipped ' off the screen. the tosh has no rotational control The stains on grey panoramic sky scenes were either blue or green.
    Its what annoys you the most, as all have their faults, but bear in mind two points, the later Tosh models have more resolution modes , obviously to adress the 18Q probs and that my sony is now better due to post factory set up by a sony chap( even had some magnets removed from rear of tube to correct a horizonatal geo fault ( no one should try this!, unless he's from Sony and is prepared to swap the set).
    Saying al, my final vote went with sony, with better build quality , split and dual picture,plus endless fun in the service menu, which is a piece of **** to enter and play with. ( as long as you take some element of care of course!)
    PS. If you do go for the tosh, check the box is sealed with brown tape as there have been so many returns ( hmm, by me!)
    Do not accept the excuse that the speakers had to be put in after as this only occured on very early models.

15. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    mattheu

You said you didnt like the pixel plus due to the artifact on fast moving objects. I saw the 32 inch at the shop with the jurasic park dvd and there was nothing as far as artifacts with fast moving objects. But I have read on other forums (australian) that the 36 inch pixel plus tvs have more problems with the processing due to the fact they are using the same components as the 32 inch tvs. there could be some truth in it as there is more complaints for the 36 inch sets than the 32. Most of the people are happy with their sets of what is read on all these forums for the 32pw9617 and they cant be all philips reps!! or can they.

evans

P.s saw the toshiba 32zp26 and the quality is excellent on dvd playback and okay on analogue.

16. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only looked closely at the 36, and not in ashop, it was at a friends house who later returned it.
    My main gripe with the picture is the way it makes moving objects 'glide', I'm not sure if I was watching a R1 movie ( if that made it worse?)But it is such a 'bad' effect that I can't understand that anyone who paid 1500 to 2000 for it can put up with it, and not notice it. If they cant, then maybe they should have saved their money and bought a 21'' Bush!!
    Provocative F***er eh!

17. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    question about Pixel Plus on Philips

I have been told it does not work at 100Hz, is this correct?

Been playing with Sony FS76, Toshiba 18Q and Philips 9607C again

and finally made up my mind to get a FS76 as the extra £350+ for the NX200 is not worth it

So I'm off to buy a Sony FS76 now me thinks

thing is they ain't in stock till Mid Jan :(

NJOY and Merry Xmas everyone

18. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    MackemX
    As you say the FS76 is approx £1450, but when I started this I was looking for a 32" for about a grand. I soon realised that what I really wanted was a big plasma, but couldn't afford it. Next best was upping the limit and possibly ditching the Digital STB purchase and get a 36 CRT. The Tosh at £1300 delivered and installed was that limit. So although the basic cost of the Sony is £1450, there's £40 delivery and no installation to consider. Maybe Santa will be good to me and I might stretch to the Sony, but from what I've seen, the picture is no better than the Tosh, you just get some extra toys.

19. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture on Sony is better than the Toshiba from what I have seen

Like I have mentioned before up you put your nose on the screen you can see the pixels on the Sony have next to no space between them. The Toshiba has oval pixels with a black ring around them thus resulting in a lot less pixel screen coverage, so small detail is impossible to match as how can it produce a pic on a part of the screen that isn't covered by a pixel?

OK, from a distance it may look great but for e.g. when any small text or pic is displayed on screen, the Sony still shows a small sharp image with no bleed. This is shown when using TEXT/PIC facility as the TV pic itself is amazingly high in detail

and then add all the extra features and connections etc make it a great deal

I reckon they will also come down in price in the near future as and when the NX200 is more widely available

Have you been in store and played with Sony TV features?

20. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not really played with the Sony too much as it was outside of my price range. I have played with the Tosh and you can get a pretty damn good picture if you spend some time setting it up. My reservations are that there is no correction for rotation on the Tosh and perceived quality issues. One advantage of the Sony for me would be compatability in looks and remotes at least for the DAVS800.

I also have to remember that my video is getting long in the tooth and the Lawnmower died in a pall of smoke at the end of summer so I have some other expenses I need to cover in the not too far distant future.

21. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    6 months interest free credit solution DJM

buy TV with creditcard then transfer balance over to another creditcard company that offers 6 months interest free on balances :) and I know Barclaycard add 1 year extra on Warranty when you use it to buy something, and the also refund price difference if you find it cheaper elsewhere

so £1450ish divided by 6 months (7 in fact cos it takes a month for your statement!) is £207ish. Bargain or what?

22. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As with MackemX, I am trying to decide between the Tosh, Sony, and Phillips. One of the great things about these forums is the things you learn that just aren't published elsewhere. It's also interesting to see the wildly differing opinions on any set - take the different comments on the 36ZP18Q for instance.

The only thing to do is to really try the sets out hooked up to a dvd player in store, and some places I have tried aren't too keen on putting in the effort.

Anyway, starting to get leaflets about sales in the New Year, so I guess I will have to make my mind up. This thread has really got me interested in the Sony 76 again. Do I need component input, or two rgb compatible scarts...decisions decisions. If only Sony would make a DAV system that output RGB life would eb a lot easier...

thanks all

mikef