1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" TV picture quality question

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bonzaimaster, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Toshiba 36zp18p yesterday which replaced my Sony 28" WEGA.

In general, I am very pleased with my new purchase but the problem is this...

I was very happy with the picture quality of my Sony but it just was not big enough. Now that I have received my 36" set, the picture just does not seen as well defined (I am not experiencing any of the other problems associated with the Toshiba sets) in terms of contrast and brightness. Is this simply because the same number of horizontal lines are being displayed over a larger screen? Therefore I guess I would expect this problem with all 36" sets.

I have tried to adjust the settings but I just can't seem to get the same quality picture as my 28" set.

I went to a couple of shops today to try and confirm what I thought and indeed the picture quality does seem to get better on the smaller sizes.

Am I being too critical (maybe it's just a case of my expectations being too high)?

Am I being too critical (maybe it's just a case of my expectations being too high)? Did anyone else feel the same way when upgrading to a 36" set?

2. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The smaller the widescreen set the better the picture is likely to be.

I however have found a huge difference in picture quality between the Sony36" and toshiba36".

The Sony picture is far superior. I was happy with my toshiba36" picture excluding the brighter edges, I am hugely surprised at the difference.

3. Grumpy

Grumpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my Toshobia 36zp18p delivered on Friday and am very happy with it. The picture quality is fine but not outstanding but I feel I have to get used to it as I had an old 28 full frame tv before this one.
    The only trouble is that I keep expecting the TV to go wrong because of all the bad press this model has had and perhaps I am being to critical.

4. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >The only trouble is that I keep expecting the TV to go wrong >because of all the bad press this model has had and perhaps I >am being to critical.
    ---------------------------------

The TV won't go wrong.
    Most of the 'problems' with the set actually turned out to be 'features' of the set, i.e. they are mean't to be like that.

If you look at the right and left sides of the screen on a dark film you will see these are much brighter than the middle of the screen etc.
    As long as you are happy with the set that is all that counts

5. Grumpy

Grumpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Markster I had noticed that but I can live with it for now, I have a 5 year guarantee so I can always change it before the 5 years is up.
    One other thing I have noticed is that the tv emits a low pitched hum, it's only noticable when my wife reads teletext with the sound turned right down.

6. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Grumpy,

Is the hum more acute when the screen has very bright images?

On my previous CRT set, this turned out to a problem with the power supply (sorry if this ).sounds alarmist Perhaps some other forum members could advise further.

BH

7. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has been mentioned before.

I found mine to be very quiet but some others have mentioned that theres is noisy.

The guy from Toshiba said this noise level may indeed vary slightly from set to set and if you feel that it is louder than you would expect ask for your set to be changed.

Unfortunately only yourself knows how loud this is and whether or not you can live with it. But from reports by users there does appear to variations in this as some report noise whilst others do not.

HTH

8. Grumpy

Grumpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again. it's not to bad I'm just being pickey because of the reputation this set has.