1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" tv buying advice please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sjl, Apr 13, 2002.

1. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok guys,

Having read the scrolling bars thread about the Sony tv's I have decided not to do my usual trick and purchase Sony products:),so that now leaves me wondering what tv to buy.

I personally want a 36 inch set but unless I am missing something virtually everyone I have found online seems to come with extra speakers/built in sub etc and to be honest I don't need all that.

I as I expect most of you do use a seperate amp and speakers for my Dolby/5.1 duties.

So to my question what would you guys reccomend I buy?

I have not really set myself a budget for this but I am shocked at the difference between the prices of a 32inch and a 36inch telly is having a 5.1 decoder on board really that expensive :confused:

Whats the best value 36 television out there at the moment?I have tried all the usual places and just seem to be getting even more confused oh yeah and how can I tell if the television I finally decide to buy is a grey import?

Thanks in advance

Steve

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic TX36PL30. Excellent TV at a good price (about £1400).

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with George. The TX36 is a great set. Cant really fault it.

4. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Has anyone seen the new philips 36"? Its getting good reviews.

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    toshiba 36ZP18Q top set excellent value

6. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys keep em coming,that was one of the televisions I had sort of shortlisted.I must admit to not looking at the Tosh so will give that a look over.
    Any pros/cons to getting a grey import tv?Was badly burnt in the past buying something that was not officially imported so slightly wary

Thanks

Steve

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    steve,

i bought my tv from Currys and they have been fantastic in there after sales service. However, some people have had problems with currys and other big stores. I bought it from currys as I wanted to be able to walk into the store if I had a problem with the tv. Something you cant do buying it from a internet dealer. We have had the panny tx36 for 6 months now and its a great set. I nearly got the tosh but the build quality was not up to scratch. I also just felt better getting the panny.

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can not agree with that on both counts

i got my TV 32zpi8q for under 1200 via an internet dealer, at currys it was 1600+ then they try and sell you the coverplan for another what? 500??

for an unbiassed opinion of TVs etc try the what tv and video reviews

http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/index.html