1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" Tellies!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jdp, Sep 9, 2003.

1. jdp

jdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking.......................or should I stay still looking at pur-chase-in a 36" TV (2 Month long saga so far).

Looked at the Tosh 36ZP38 (B,P,Q) Model and like the looks a lot, and it appears to get good reviews (What TV & Video Award), but what else would the other members recommend looking at?
    I would like to compare similar types of sets , as i've discounted Rear Projection (Too Dull), Plasma / LCD (Too Expensive)

Budgets around 2K

Does anyone know if John Lewis will meet there price promise?

I gave them a call and was advised that any retailer within a 30 Mile Radius was included. If so Does anyone know if www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk is located in Glasgow.

Are they within 30 Miles?

.......You may have gathered that I'm not a city slicker (Fae the Sticks or Fife as it's knowto the world)

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yup, RW is in Dumbarton Road, Partick, Glasgow, which is about 3 miles from the city centre. Have JL changed their policy? I got the Glasgow branch to price match Electocentre in Birmingham with little fuss at all. That's definitely more than 30 miles!

Also, I would never have described my RPTV as dull. "Perfect" would be nearer the mark :)

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Mine isn't 'dull' either. Far from it.

RP gets my vote, only two makes worth looking at....

Toshiba and Sony.

4. jdp

jdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info and opinions guy's................

............I still think that comparable to a standard tell, the rptv's that I've seen so far, have definately been less bright.

Any other opinions on comparable tellies to consider?

5. jdg

jdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look at the panasonic TX-36pd30.
    Just do a search for it on this forum

6. Richard Morris

Richard Morris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are still interested, get down to John Lewis (I went to Cheadle, Cheshire), as they now have the Tosh 36ZP38B on special offer at £1450, with a free Toshiba SD330E DVD & Toshiba V753 VCR. Cost of course includes free delivery & 5 yr guarantee.

Now if anyone could tell me what would be the most suitable leads (scart etc) to purchase to get the best of out the set I would be really grateful. I've heard the ones they supply with the set are pretty basic. NB I also have the Grundig Freeview set so would need the best connetions for that. No matter what, it's still going to look a whole lot better than my current 9 year old Panasonic !!

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    You don't say where in Scotland you are however RW in Glasgow are doing graded Sony KV36FS76's for £800. Link

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for CRT RP. If you've seen one in a shop window I can understand why you think they're dull.

Once you get a RP in the living room it'll have geat picture.

Let's see- a 51" Widescreen CRT RP with progressive scan with correctable geometry for £1400, or a 36" Widescreen CRT Direct view for £1600, with unfixable geometry. Hmm I wonder which one I'll go for?

9. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi guys

Im new here but i have been doing a lot of research into 36" TVs recently too and found that the best way to decide is to watch them long and hard and decide which has the picture you most like. Dont get fooled into watchin Ice Age or Monsters Inc - they look fantastic but you need to use some more regular stuff and off air broadcasts too.

I was going Plasma route but honestly think the picture is disappointing - Rear projection was a no no as I would be sitting to close to reap the benefits. LCD was great but expensive and CRT just beat everything hands down.

I checked out the Panasonic and the Tosh and thought the Panasonic had the edge - had too much trouble with Tosh TV's and still dont trust them.

I was then shown a Philips Pixel plus - various differents TV packages built around one screen. you choose whether you have Nicam, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital plus surround speakers and built in amps etc.

I got a 36" with all the gubbings (did not want it as I already have full seperates) but it ended up costing me £1200 - thats £800 cheaper than the Pan and the Tosh and it has the best picture I have ever seen on a TV.

Worth checking it out and easy to beat most of the high street retailers down to internet prices...

Good luck and happy hunting

andymc