36" Strata TV or 37"/42" Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by karl, Sep 10, 2002.

1. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I had decided to purchase a Toshiba 36ZT29 at £1650 including delivery. I went to the Robert Whyte website and saw that they have the Panasonic 37" plasma (TH37PW4B - silver) for £2349. After a bit of shopping around I can get it for £2400 including delivery.

Well I am now tempted to go for the plasma. It must be placed in a corner so wall mounting is not really an option :( .

Any views about the relative merits of picture quality. I will have a PAL / NTSC progressive DVD player (Philips Q50 from Hong Kong) to supply the set. I believe that the TV will accept NTSC progressive and that the plasma will accept both PAL / NTSC progressive. How do the plasmas perform with progressive scan and in particular PAL progressive ?

I have a separate surround amp & speakers. I don`t need digital TV. I know I could go for the 36ZD26 (nicam) but my wife likes the silver ZT29 and not the blue.

What is the actual screen dimensions of the 36" toshiba & the panasonic 37". I believe the actual difference is greater than an inch ?

I also hear that the Toshiba 42pw16 is available for 2999 incl vat.

I will have a panasonic AE100 projector - hence the PAL progressive DVD player. It is tempting to use that on the plasma.

I could afford to go for the plasma (just) once the associated costs are considered - i.e plasma stand / AV unit if it is worth the extra.

Please, help me choose.

Thanks.

2. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've no first hand experience with either of these. However, I can tell you that in Europe we state the CRT's total size as opposed to the US way of telling the visible area. So for example Philips TV sets with a similar tube are released as 36PW**** in Europe and as 34PW**** in the US.

Plasmas (like TFT computer displays) are named by the visible area diagonal.

So I conclude that the difference _should_ be somewhere in the league of 3''.

3. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I have been to the various websites but they don`t really help.

Could anybody with either set post the actual width,height & diagonal measurement.

If I am to go for the plasma I have got to justify somehow !

Any other views ?

What about relative qualities ?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    the width of the 37" Panny plasma is 100cm

Hope this helps

Mark.:)

5. jmack