36 pictures no photoshop allowed

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by milkmanchris, Sep 17, 2007.

1. milkmanchris

milkmanchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Following on from my reminiscing in my earlier thread (a work in progress).

I was sat today thinking about my Uni and College days (late 80's) and how a project was for us going out with a 36 exposure roll of XP1 and handing the subsequent negatives to a darkroom technician at the end of the day for us to see and get marked on the following day.

Same as working football touchlines, images are wired to the office and I get no input, most are put out for sale with very little manipulation.

Bristolpete and tobers will probably agree with me here, I took pictures for the taking of a picture (see I still cant get used to using the word image) the capturing of the moment, and once I have seen that picture on the screen on the back of the camera (used to be a lightbox), then Im just looking to get the next image.

Ive had a large number of PM's and emails since my last thread, all asking the same questions, 'how do I?', well I would say look at the title of this thread, just try go out and get a picture does not matter of what, just pop the camera in single shot and limit yourself to 36 clicks, see how you do.

Even better by a throw away and remember the good old days of 36 exposures no photoshop.

2. danburbridge

danburbridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great idea - how about a time limit on it too - say 36 shots in 24hours (or even better perhaps - 24 shots in 24hrs - as I prefer shooting 24exp rolls as they are easier to load onto my devolping roll)

3. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    I like the idea of this.

I often used limit myself to one lens - quite often a 28mm on my F3. For social docmentary photography it forced you to get in amongst your subjects and fully interact with them. Perhaps it's time to give this a go again and fire a roll of film off - Just for old times sake.

Perhaps recording a weekend would be a start. :rolleyes:

4. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Good idea. 36 and 24 might be a bit too many for looking through on the internet. How about 12 pics in 12 hours? That would be more manageable for both uploading as well as people viewing/reading.

I'd be up for it...got a good opportunity tomorrow actually.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
  6. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    That sounds good - we'd just have to trust each other on the only shooting 12 images though. ;)

My theme will be easy if we do it tomorrow - 'my day at work' :D Although tomorrow does promise to be an interesting day ;)

Perhaps a thread with all the images in at flickr's smallest size with links to larger versions would make it easier on the eye/bandwidth.

7. grantsteve

grantsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I've done something similar with some Ilford 3200 and my 'new' Nikon F75 ... except that I fired them all off in about an hour yesterday afternoon :D

I should get the CD back on Saturday so will post up my results.

Have to say it was a nice experience using my lenses on a 35mm SLR - and it makes a very satisfying shutter noise :blush:

8. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    Damn! I've just handed back my Mamiya R627 medium format jobby I had borrowed for a while. Would have been perfect cause one roll of film allows 10 exposures and cost £6.50 to have developed!! It slows you down so much (also beacuse of the lack of light meter!) that taking 1 photo requires about half an hours work!!!

9. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Whats wrong with photoshop ? :confused:

10. milkmanchris

milkmanchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82

mmm

Anyways I'll have a little think on how we can work it, if anyone else is up for it.

11. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    I assume you mean a Mamiya RB67? - if so, you can buy mine off me. I don't think i've put a roll through it in about 4 years. I'll throw in a Sekonic lightmeter too ;)

12. danburbridge

danburbridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

oooh - how much ;)

13. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    Oops actually meant RZ67 pro II D and nah I think I'll pass as it doesn't suite my style of photography too well (too big and heavy to go walking, cycling and scrambling with)

14. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Interesting
    I take a slightly different view though

Understanding the limitations of what you can do later "forced" some discipline in the era of film

Similarly understanding the limitations of shooting digital has made shooting RAW ( and not depending on the cameras image processing) a very valuable skill

As such, at what point does processing to Jpeg from Raw become enhancement?

Also, there are in camera settings like colour contrast sharpness which are not dissimilar to hardware enhancement which can be equated to hardware "Photoshopping"

The costlier kit with better glass often mean less of a need to "enhance".. so playing field is not equal
    And as Pixelpixel noted: What is wrong with Photoshop.. :confused:
    It can only do as much as you want it to:)

15. grantsteve

grantsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    There is something about the back to basics idea that appeals to me though. I think it'd encourage me to really think about each shot rather than just firing off as many as I want because I know I can delete the rubbish.

There is a lot to be said for trying to get things right 'in camera', and I think we'd all learn something from an exercise like this.

16. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I agree with getting it right as much as possible. Even those who are skilled in the Use of photoshop may not nessesarily want to use it all the time.
    Also using the example of video, I try to shoot footage which will later need as little time consuming editing as possible.

Im not removing from the merits of the thread , and idea. It should perhaps make one think before pressing the shutter (but that should be happening anyway ( Sometimes the thought of spending time PPing in PS can make ones heart sink.. a bit)

I guess what Im just saying is that Photoshop is there to rescue you when the (In-camera) image doesn't turn out right inspite of your best efforts:D. As it happens the best "edited" images are those in which you cannot tell anything has been done

17. Bolf

Bolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I'm up for this , 12 in 12 hours or similar sounds like fun.

I'm always learning in this photography lark so the feedback always is welcome.

18. milkmanchris

milkmanchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I agree in principal with what you are saying.

However I have read many threads where a poster will say they have 1200, 1500 or even 2000 shots top 'trawl' through and thats after one days shooting.

It makes it more a numbers game, the more pictures you take the better the odds of getting the one you want.

I quite regularly could fire off 3000-4000 shots at a football game, to get maybe 100 keepers and 6 or so that sell. The old time pros told of the days of shooting 36exp each half, and processing at halftime pitchside.

Would we be better photographers if we thought more about what we took before firing off a burst of 80 shots at 10fps, I'd like to think so.

Oh and finally RAW, as a Prouser for 6 Canon years I can quite easily hand on heart say I have not shot one of these.

I have been looking through some old course work I did back in the day, will post some ideas for a little project tomorrow if anyone is up for a play.

19. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    You should try RAW... it rocks!:smashin:
    but
    Back on topic, One other way to view your "project" would be to imagine one only had a 256Mb card or battery with only 36 shots worth of battery life

Also the project would work better for still life objects where there is relative control over framing movt and exact shooting viewpoint but it has the potential of making the point of making one slow down and think before actually pressing the shutter button

Paradoxically though, some Photographers of old are hailing the advent of digital as they could carefully go through a roll of 36 exp film with only 3 or 4 outstanding images:rolleyes:

20. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I like the idea :) I'm also into just taking a single lense out for the day. Last time we went out we took two, one for the walk up the river path and another for the way back to see the differing image types :)

Takes me back to when you *had* to get it right in camera :)

21. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Well, I've started my 12 shots in 12 hours. I'm going to shoot in RAW though - the way I see it, if I was using film I would have a negative, and if I was printing, I would at least be able to make some tonal and contrast decisions at the printing stage. I see no point in taking away options for the sake of it. So i'll process the raw file - making subtle adjustments if necessary, resize and leave it at that.

Just limiting myself to 12 clicks of the button is going to be difficult enough. :eek:

22. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    i like the sound of this, great little challenge!

Grant, make sure you put up what you got from the f75!! how is it going for you? everything cool? coping with the colour?

23. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    and no chimping!

24. grantsteve

grantsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    It was very refreshing to get out and use it actually. Even if my first roll is a pile of cack I enjoyed it :D Its in great nick and seems like a bargain for what I paid for it. Thanks very much :thumbsup:

I manage to hide most of the sliver by bolting on my nice black lenses! :laugh:

25. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I'm up for this - I'll probably just gor for a walk/bike ride later and do all 12. It's a lovely crisp autumn day here.

26. SweetGirl

SweetGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Very interesting thread.....

Missed this one yesterday so dont have the camera today....

but would like to join in so i will do my 12 shots in 12 hours tommorrow....if that's ok.....

27. philaitman

philaitman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    A great Idea,
    I'm camera less today but tomorrow I'll do 12 shots with 1 lens and see what I get.
    and as above I'll be shooting RAW with a simple conversion for the neg/processing comparison with old school.

28. milkmanchris

milkmanchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Some interesting input, I did a similar project back in my days of been educated, we were given a 12 exposure strip of film and given 4 hours to get some photographs that had a story or common theme.

We where not allowed to cheat, the films were handed in at lunchtime and processed for us, we got a set of proofs after lunch and were then marked.

I was tested like this when I first went to empics, they didn't look at my portfolio, his explanation was that he had seen my work, so was given a job to do and that was my chance. I also know of a Daily Mirror picture editor who did a similar thing for interviewing potential trainees.

senu - Still life never appealed to me, I always considered it the vegetarianism of photography in that it is easier to shoot a lettuce then it is an Antelope, but each to his own, I had several friends went into advertising and have done very nicely. I really consider photography as a medium for catching moments and memories in time, and lets be honest no photograph can capture the passion and vibrancy of Van Gogh's sunflowers (as an example).

liquid101 - Shoot your RAW, I never went down that line as the agency I worked for wanted jpeg so thats what they got, also in the early digital days timewise RAW conversion in the field was not viable. I used XP1 as my film of choice, if people are not aware of this magic film of old I'll start a new thread on that later.

h4rri - I was told not to buy expensive zoom and telephoto lenses, just stand closer to what I want to photograph, I agree with the one lens thing though, preferably a reasonably fast prime, people can learn a lot from ditching the zoom, I believe this helped me no end with composition and framing.

So if its 12 pictures in 12 hours then thats fine by me, a few little ground rules to help us all out, please feel free to add comments, its for all of us to learn from

No library photos, lets do this as a live assignment, we don't have to go down the route of exif examination, we are all friends here.

Turn to single shot, taking 1200 images and picking 12 is not in the spirit of the game, as an example I took my daughter to Lotherton Bird Garden and observed a guy taking photographs, downloading them to his laptop then taking some more, all there on the park bench, I really could not be bothered.

Forget the PP for this task, a good photograph will look good with no photoshop, and the whole idea of this game is old school.

29. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Today is turning out to be a little busy for this - only 2 shots - both very poor. :(

30. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    I was thinking that we should have done this with cheap disposable cameras. Bought a pile, shot the images then sent them to one member to deal with the developing then posting....perhaps that can be another idea for another month

Gordon