1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" Panasonic CRT - 100Hz concerns

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RMCF, Aug 12, 2005.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    As I mentioned in previous posts, I am on the verge on selling my 32" Philips and moving up to a 36" Panasonic.

Main reason is simply to get a bigger TV at a reasonable price.

However, I am concerned about the whole 100Hz issue. I have had no problems with my 50Hz Philips, and am one of those people who see no flicker with a 50Hz TV.

The last 100Hz CRT TV I saw in operation was at a friends about 2 or 3 years ago. I did not like the quality of the picture with the digital processing being too obvious to me. It looks poor when watching the likes of football or fast moving film sequences.

So my concern now is whether or not enough advances have been made over the last couple of years to make it safe to buy a 100Hz TV now. I have heard that the digital processing is sometimes more obvious on the bigger 36" sets. Is this true?

The TV in question, the Panasonic PL32, gets rave reviews from all the top magazines. Perhaps I should ask Currys to hook up a satellite feed and a DVD player so that I can see what they look like.

Any thoughts?

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    I've got a 36" Toshiba 100Hz and with movies and games there is no noticeable blurrign at all. when it comes to football there can be a slight blurring around the ball but not enough to distract from the action. It also seems to avry from channel to channel as well sky and the BBC is usually fine but ITV can be bad soemtimes for blurring. As for all the processing modes, most of them are drivel so i don't have them on and i'd imagine you'd have the same options on the Panny. Decent scart lead is a must though, don't get one of those JVC naff things they sell in Currys, get a proper lead like a QED Squart or a Monster(like me!)

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    The Acuity mode is fine except for fast moving sports.

(Snooker is particularly prone to digital artifacts.)

Some people are more sensitive to this than others.

Can you get a demo to see if this is a problem for you?

4. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    May I recommend this one http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...-20094&page=Product&sku=253696&fm=5&sm=0&tm=2

I have the 32" version, and the difference over my 50Hz philips 32pw6505
    is AMAZING.... :thumbsup: .... (IMHO).
    Also the sound is pretty good as well (dolby digital, pro logic etc).
    It also has enough connections to keep me happy.

All the best,

Graham.

WHOOPS, sorry my mistake. I meant to link to the 36ZP48, not the ZP46.
    Try this instead http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/TOS-36ZP48P.htm

TTFN

5. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    the 48p and 46p are the same Tv apart from the 48 has :dd: decoding built in

6. billystevo

billystevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panny 36" PL 32 and a motorized dish and i think the main problem is with compression and bit rates. I have watched football on BBC1 and the players were blurred, Ive watched it on Chn 5 and the players were not. On Hotbird channels, that show sport have brill pictures. No problems with fast action on DVD, picture is near perfect. Summing up if you get a poor bit rate the picture will artifact and be blocky if its a good bit rate you will enjoy one of the best pictures on a TV. I switch the flicker reduction off as i don't notice any and think the picture is better without it.