1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36 inch plasma advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by fat tom, Aug 18, 2004.

1. fat tom

fat tom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

I have to order a plasma screen by the end of today, at the moment the wife wants a 32 inch sony screen http://www.ajelectronics.co.uk/View...Television&cat_names=LCD and Plasma >> Plasma however I think this is too small for our living room.. (16' x 18') A 42 inch one would be out of the question as it would be a 'monstrosity' apparently...

so the natural compromise of 36 inch has been reached... however there seems to be way less of this size on the market... - Its also got to look 'good' whatever that means (silver and detachable/no speakers I think) and be around the £2k mark.. although more expensive recommendations are welcome.

Thanks....

Fat Tom

2. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 42in in a smaller room than that - and love it - total immersion.

Depends on whether you want cinematic effect all the time.

3. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Tom, I think Panasonic do a 37-inch Viera (spelling?) - suggest you have a look on their website. That model seems pretty well regarded here, you could do a search on this forum. No such thing as a 36-inch plasma, they're 32, 37 and up to real monsters. Do you really have to order by the end of today? Seems a little rushed for such a major purchase - you really ought to compare screens in a decent retail environment. FWIW I have the 32-inch Sony in a pretty big living room and am very pleased with it, even though it's an ALiS screen which arouses polarised views here...Also please bear in mind that Sony is incontrovertibly poor value for money and has limited connection options. It doesn't bother me as I'm a huge Sony fan and use mine like an ordinary TV, but it's not liked by many of the experienced members here.

4. fat tom

fat tom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like bigger... but the wife wouldn't ... :blush:

so 32-36 it is.....

5. fat tom

fat tom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Bernard,

I will take a look... I also forgot to mention that it will have a htpc running the whole thing so a dvi input would be nice..

cheers

Fat Tom

6. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Better forget Sony then! Scart, component, s-video - and that's it!

7. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a room about the same size as you started with 37" panny because my wife said the same, we had some cosmetic problems with the 37" so when it went back we bought a 42" after a couple of days looks no bigger than the 37" also mines on an optimum av stand so its in the corner not on the wall beleive me you will be sorry if you dont buy the 42"

8. fat tom

fat tom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

I have a feeling you may be right.... 42 is what I really want... umm will try and convince the wife... :suicide:

however that maybe mission impossible as it took a while to persuade her that a 36inch was acceptable...

- Fat tom -

9. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would say look at the 37" Hitachi models, Buy a Panny 42" PW6 and tell her its a 37" honestly very small difference. Fujitsu dont do DVi at the moment so out of the running, pioneer over budget and 43" JVC 35" not ideal again no DVi, have you consider Sharp 37" LCD??? http://www.sharp.co.uk/aquos_tv/range/products/product.asp?id=16
    over budget and black, but ideal size and spec.

11. fat tom

fat tom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I didn't order a plasma yesterday.... I will in the very near future though...

I was looking at the Hitachi as dragon pointed out above.. They look good on paper.. a couple of questions.

1. You don't actually seem to be able to by either the Hitachi 37PD5200 or the 37pd5000 anywhere...
    2. Whats the difference between the models?? is it just speakers etc?
    3. It will be being connected to a hcpc with a resolution of 1024x1024 (I am asumming my radeon pro 9600 will be able to be set to this with Powerstrip?) won't the screen look stretched for normal windows stuff??? ie gaming and internet will be pretty much usless?? this is not a biggy as the machine is for watching DVDs/TV first and foremost anyway but the option would be nice.

any thoughts folks???

Regards

- Fat Tom -

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Fat Tom, found out today 37" Hitachi was exclusive to DSG (dixons currys etc), so thats the only place you will find it! 42" you can get all over the place. Get a 42 mate only 3 inches wider and 2 taller, go for one with a slim bezel.

13. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John Again you will be sorry if you buy the 37" go for the 42" even wifey agrees now