1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" CRTs - Which one is best?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by paul10, Nov 27, 2003.

1. paul10

paul10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can anyone recommend a suitable 36" widescreen for watching Sky & Dvds? I intend to get a decent set of seperates soon to go with it.

The forums and magazines I've read seem to suggest that the Panasonic TX36PD30c and Toshiba 36ZP38 are the current favourites. The Magazines seem to say that the Panasonic offers the slightly better picture, while the Toshiba has better sound included (which isn't relevant to me). I've also came across a number of comments that some folk have experienced some picture problems with the Toshiba.

Can anyone recommend one of these over the other (or any other 36" for that matter) - or are they all basically the same?

2. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I guess what makes a good picture is subjective, but the general consensus seems to be that both TVs will display nice sharp pictures.

The problem seems to be one of quality control on these monsters. If you get a good one you're set, but it seems all to often people get one that is below par.

I was going to buy the Panasonic, but the large thread on this forum put me off (even though the display model I saw looked fine). I ended up getting the Toshiba instead. When I looked at this set, the display was as good as the Panansonic.. in the dealer's showroom anyway.

I was initially disappointed in the picture, but the set seemed to 'settle down' after a few days and I'm now very happy with my purchase.

I too didn't really need the audio capabilities of the Tosh, but it's design is very unobtrusive (as far as a 36" can be!) with it's narrow frame, and that scored big brownie points with 'the boss'.

Bottom line is, if you get a good working model of either you won't be disappointed. If you don't, make sure your supplier is a good one!

Good luck :)

3. paul10

paul10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Cadire,

I intend to purchase one of them in the next day or two and its reassuring to know that they're both roughly the same in picture quality.

4. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say that if you can get a perfect PD30 the PQ will be better than the Tosh as it has an HD tube and more advanced digital processing IMHO. That's why I opted for it.

However, the rub is in the "if".... :(

I'm currently waiting for my 3rd 36PD30 having rejected the first two due to colour purity and "dirty screen" effect. When I manage to forget about these problems though I am bowled over by the PQ. :smashin:

Watch out for solarisation on RGB inputs also. If you intend to use component or s-video then you should be OK, but if your main source is RGB, check out a demo model with an RGB source and plenty of sunsets etc. to ensure this won't bother you too much before you buy...

5. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +714
    Hi Paul,

Both Cadire and Blindlemon are right. Get a good working model of either the Panny or Tosh and you're set...BUT [yeah I know, the infamous BUT] I've actually owned both of these sets over the past month and both have their faults, or if you like, imperfections.

You're obviously aware of the sticky on the PD30. Nonetheless, I also had to return my Tosh 36ZP38 due to probs with Progressive playback:( Damn shame really coz it was a mighty fine pic when behaving itself.

I've now got the PD30 as its replacement, and I'd tend to agree with Blindlemon, it is marginely better PQ than the Tosh (at least in progressive), but you might well find, as I did, that the Tosh is cheaper (the PD30 cost me £200 more:( ). So, if progressive isn't an issue for you, the Tosh MIGHT prove the better choice:confused:

No matter what mate, hope you get a good 'un! Let us know how it goes?

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

6. john hannam

john hannam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul
    Do not dismiss the Sony 36FS 76 I have had one for 6 weeks and i think it is a better tv than my other tv which is the Phillips 32PW9527 and is being discounted by Sony centers down to about £1499

7. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    paul10,

I currently have an original Tosh Pic Frame 36ZP18 and can only praise its picture quality (dvd via component and NTL digital) and reliability (1.5 years service to date). However, I'm wanting to take advantage of my new Denon DVD2200 PAL / NTSC progressive output, so I'm looking to upgrade. I have demo'd both the new Tosh 36ZP38 and Panasonic 36PD30 side by side and the Panasonic has the edge on picture quality.

I'm will be going for the Panasonic shortly, but for you info I saw the Tosh 36ZP18 for £1300.00 including 3 years warranty at Costco (Oldham).

Regards,

Chris L.

8. lochindaal

lochindaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got a chance to look at the new JVC HV36P38 last week and thought it was the best picture I'd seen yet on a 36".

Had Inspector Gadget on in the shop and colours looked great with no effects and no problems with fast moving "fight" scenes.

JL don't stock yet so hoping they might after Xmas to get a price match.

Seen for £1244 for just TV and £1499 with JVC DVD recorder