1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" CRTs & Safety Glass (Slightly OT)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rasczak, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Forgive this post being a little off-topic but I specifically wanted the views of CRT owners.

I have decided to buy a 36" CRT (although precisely which one is proving to be a major headache :mad: it's harder than buying a Plasma!) and want to use my existing Optimium AV Slimline Stand (Model code: OPT007) as seen here to display it. I appreciate this stand is designed for Plasmas - and it was being used for such until I had the Home Theatre redesigned - but I would like to make use of it for my CRT. The question is will it break if I put a 82Kg TV on it?

The top shelf is 10mm "toughened, polished safety glass (to British Standard BS6206A)". That means absolutely nothing to me? So can anyone provide some reassurance that I'm not going to slice myself into two parts when trying to mount the new CRT on the stand? I would rather not die whilst trying to install a new TV as I would look rather stupid! :clown:

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I can't answer your question exactly but can give you this warning.

I put my 32" Toshiba TV on a stand with 'Safety Glass' to test it's load bearing capability, the glass promptly bent under the weight of the TV where not supported. The glass did not shatter or snap but had I left it for more than a couple of minutes I think permanent damage may have occured.

I suspect that your 400mm shelf depth is no where near deep enough anyway for a 36" set to sit on. I personally would not risk it. :lesson:

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Cheers for your comments Mylo:

Yes indeed this is one issue I need to consider. A quick measure of the set in Comet seemed to suggest the base around the front of the Tube would sit OK on the Stand though. I'll have a good look before/when I buy on Saturday.