1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" CRTs and Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'TVs' started by roman-r, Aug 12, 2005.

1. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Looking at Panasonic's website they no longer have a 36" CRT - best CRT being a 32" PD50 :(

Also noted that Progressive Scan is also eliminated from the features and only in general spec Progressive Scan is mentioned and only via NTSC playback.

I've read on here that Pal Progressive can create flicker and can imagine that NTSC Progessive would be less suceptable due to 60htz and only 480 lines.

So what's the recommendations here as I was thinking of buying a new Pal Progressive Scan 36" CRT but it seems not to be the way forward as far as Panasonic are concerened :nono:

Also if NTSC Progressive is the best option can a DVD player (US or UK) provide an NTSC Progressive signal from a Region 2 Pal disc? :rolleyes:

Any comments would be warmly welcome :D

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Roman – The Toshiba 36ZP48P has the following picture modes (from the manual).

Scan mode has four options.
    NATURAL, ACTIVE and 100Hz settings run at 100Hz and reduce background flicker. The NATURAL setting normally gives the better picture, but for programmes such as football matches ACTIVE or 100Hz may give a smoother result.

PROGRESS (Progressive) has 50Hz vertical scan but the equivalent of 100Hz horizontal scan.

Its disaplays stunning visuals from its PAL PS component inputs from both Interlaced & PAL PS component output from my DVD-V player. Which is a Region 2 only device FWIW maybe a Region 1 PAL/PS afficianado can tell you about what happens with output from a MR player as Im not best clued up.

The 36ZP48P offers the best VFM v Performance for a 36” disaplay when I was looking for one the Panny was too expensive. Not sure how long it will be around FWIW as JL don’t seem to be stocking them any more. Get your 36” CRT component display soon, time is running out.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Top of the range CRTs are going out of fasion now that you can buy a plasma screen for less than their previous RRP.

Panny were the first to pull their flag ship CRTs but I wouldnt be surprised if more didnt over the next 6 months or so.

4. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    It does seem to be going that way.

Not that that means progress - just better for the manufacturer :nono:

Obviously CJRoss is all infavour in Pal Progressive Scan - I guess I need to try and find a way of seeing it for myself and comparing it with my current machine.

Any more comments on Pal Progressive or the future of 36" CRTs very welcome :)

5. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Its a shame that CRTs are starting to die off due to plasmas, LCDs, RPTVs etc, because none of them, at present anyway, can compete with CRT for picture quality.

If the engineers came up with a way to make CRTs not as deep then I believe they could for another few years. However, it looks like the market is heading in the 'hang on the wall' direction.

6. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    True

Now Panny are big in Plasmas so I see where they are coming from when they are limiting their CRT products but what about Toshiba as they don't have a plasma range as far as I know.

Maybe they will keep going on the CRT 36ers for a good while longer