1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" CRT TVs - what's acceptable picture?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by randallp, Dec 15, 2001.

1. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a Sony 36", and two Panasonic 36PB50s within a few weeks. I've returned all of them and am awaiting my 3rd PB50.

Can someone tell me what is the best acceptable picture I can expect. I have DVD test cards from THX Starwars and Video Essentials. When a review says slight linearity or geometry errors, how slight is slight with respect to these cards?

How dirty a picture (watching ice hockey say) is normal?

I know 36" is pushing CRTs - I just want to know when to say "OK, that one will do..."

Pat Randall

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    For the toshiba 36zp 5mm out of line in the width or height of the set is deemed to be within spec.

Dirty picture comes and goes and is more likely to be the quality of the broadcast than the tv, some broadcasts are perfect, others like looking through dirty lace curtains.

On the Toshiba reducing the sharpness setting to minimum much improves this effect, and don't stick with the default picture settings. The default is intended for the shop display floor. On the toshiba best picture is by selecting picture mode 3 (which turns of dynamic contrast, although it doesn't tell you that in the manual), and adjusting the parameters to what looks best. Again on the toshiba I select the menu I want then use to adjust the picture settings, then use the freeze button when the picture is worst, this allows a sensible adjustment until I get the best picture, without distraction of changes in scene, lighting etc.