1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" CRT TV with iScan Ultra..?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SimonO, Jun 9, 2003.

1. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    How much of an improvement will I get from my sources via the iScan Ultra into my Toshiba 36ZP38 36" CRT TV... Can't afford a plasma, don't like RPTV's and can't fit a projector into my living room, so 36" is as big as I'm going... The set should accept 576p via its component inputs...

2. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although the screen has component video input I am not sure if the inputs are progressive. It may just have a progressive screen and it does the de-interlacing internally. This means the iScan Ultra may not even work with it. If you were to use the iScan you would need a cable to convert the HD15 back to there 3 component outputs.

I think the improvements that the iScan make are more obvious with NTSC material due to the 3:2 pulldown. It appeared to my eyes that the picture was slightly softened by the iScan. I was going to check this with my DVD and switching between progressive output and intelaced via the iScan to the Plasma.

I couldn't find any specific information on Toshiba's website to state if it can handle a 576p and/or 480p input.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If the Tosh can take a 480/576p input then the iscan should offer a good improvement over the internal deinterlacer, if it has one.

HD15 to 3 phono cables can be easily found from any decent cable manufacturer.

4. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks for the posts...

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    make sure the Iscan can output component and not just RGB

6. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The iScan Ultra can output either RGB or YPbPr through the HD15 output, this is selected through the front panel. If you are connecting it up to RCA component inputs you need a cable to go between these connections. The red -> Pr, green -> Y and blue -> Pb. The lead will be very similar to monitor cable that have BNC connectors.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I thought it probably okay but there are many deinterlacers out there that only output RGB and would therefore not be suitable for this task.

8. alcolepone

alcolepone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iam planing to do somthing very similar, so any news u get would be very useful.

anyone know if this tosh accepts progreesive scan inputs, as this is one of things i like about the set. if it has a internal de-interlacer then shoudlnt show the best picture the set can display? what would be the point of the other screen modes?

9. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

While I'm sure the Iscan would look very nice, I'm just not sure that it would be terribly cost effective.

If you already have a progressive component dvd player or X-box, then you can use the progressive input directly and you don't need the IScan. Other, sources (broadcast tv, satellite, vhs) can be handled by the internal scaler on the TV.

If you don't have a progressive dvd player, I'd probably go that route first and I'd be wanting to get a full demo before I bought the Iscan.

brian

10. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks Brian... That's pretty much what I had decided... Having found out that PAL progressive is 50Hz, I'm not sure I want it, as I REALLY can't stand the flicker... I'm going to buy the Denon 2900 and try the progressive scan first...

Many thanks for the input...

11. alcolepone

alcolepone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow, those tosh guys are help full.

the pf2 does support progressive scan input of both pal and ntsc.

Thank you for your recent enquiry. Please find the information that you requested as follows:

The Picture Frame 2 televisions have both PAL and NTSC progressive scan when a signal is fed through the component inputs on the back of the television from a source outputting progressive scan (eg. a DVD player), so therefore does not have an internal de-interlacer.

If you have any further queries or would like to go through your query with an advisor you can contact us on 0115 9766958,
    Monday - Friday 8.00-20.00, Saturday 8.00-18.00 and Sunday 10.00-16.00, or feel free to reply by E-mail.

We trust that the information is to your satisfaction. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on the above number.

Kind regards,
    Kate White
    Toshiba Consumer Products Division Helpdesk

12. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    That's interesting about the lack of internal de-interlacer... The 'Progress' (progressive) picture setting is described in the instructions as 'pseudo' progressive, 50Hz PAL and particularly suited to 60Hz NTSC... If there is no internal de-interlacer, then what does this setting do (apart from flicker and give me a headache..!) to a non progressive source..?

Confused (and I've got the set..!)

13. alcolepone

alcolepone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. alcolepone

alcolepone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the reply i got, not really the answer, but good none the less.

Thank you for your recent enquiry. Please find the information that you requested as follows:

The progressive mode is for the component inputs on the back to be connected with a DVD player that can output progressive scan (Both NTSC and PAL).

If the TV is set to progressive scan mode you wouldn't be able to watch TV or video pictures. If you set a DVD player to the TV that can output progressive scan in both ntsc and pal, you would have to go into the TV menu and select progressive every time you watched a DVD film.

this was the question

just one follow on question, when i viewed the pf2 tv set, there was a option for progress in the video modes, along with 100hz, active, etc etc.

without a component input, what does the progress video mode do?

Is progressive scan mode automatically selected if that is the input?

15. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    That doesn't make a lot of sense..! Anyway, I get a picture in 'Progress' mode from a normal interlaced source, albeit at 50Hz, so the set does something, even if it is only switching out the 100Hz processing..!