1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" CRT or Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MarkQuinton, Oct 26, 2004.

1. MarkQuinton

MarkQuinton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have approx £1400 to spend on a new tv and I am unsure which direction to take.

I could have a top of the range 36zp48 Toshiba 36" CRT for approx £1100 inc fee dvd player and rear speakers or should I go for a 42" cheap plasma such as the techwood, samsung, hyundai or LG? Or I have the option of an ex-display 32" Hitachi plama for £1400.

I know a 42" inch plasma has the wow factor but what would be best for the money I have. Please don't say spend 2k on a plasma cause i can't afford to do that. Also I live in a 2 bedroom room terrace house so would a 42" screen look daft in my lounge?

Many thanks

Mark

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It wouldn't look daft, not as daft as a 36" monster in the corner. With a seriously fixed budget I'd personally look closely at that Hiachi offer, or try and find an e-demo 42" something. I'm sure someone will be along to contradict me soon, (mentioning no names) but the cheaper plasmas are just that, cheap. You know what they say, there's nothing that can't be made cheaper by being made worse. FWIW I think the Hitachi is overpriced for ex display, beat them up on money!

3. MarkQuinton

MarkQuinton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply.

Yeah I know what you mean, you get what you pay for. However many of you people on the list are really into their tv stuff and maybe would recognise alot more picture faults that someone like me. To be honest I saw a demo of the techwood the other day plugged straight into a dvd player showing lotr and it looked pretty good. However I also saw the LG one show a digital channel in comet and it look awfull, very dull. The hyundai one look a pretty good picture aswell but I only saw that showing a dvd. I am finding it very hard to chose because I am not sure that the displays in the shops do the screens any justice. The LG could of been the better of the 3 but just not set up right. Thats why I considered a 36" crt as the picture quality was pretty damn good.

£100 was all I could get off the ex-display as he said it was already lower than their initial cost price.

Mark

4. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd go with the Toshiba CRT.

5. iangilroy

iangilroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's quite a hard question to answer. I'm currently looking at replacing a Toshiba 36ZP38 with a 42"/43" plasma and there are clearly pros and cons.

The pros are obvious - much nicer form factor, a bigger screen, you get a chunk of your living room back - but there is a downside too. If you go with a panel then you lose a lot of the features that a decent CRT has. Even if you go for a plasma TV it's likely that it won't look as good as a top of the range CRT for some digital/analogue TV channels.

If you spend a lot of time watching football, for example, choose your plasma carefully and be prepared for a larger but slightly disappointing picture when compared with the Toshiba. If you're talking about DVDs...the progressive scan DVD picture on my TV is good enough that I personally wouldn't swap it for a cheap 42" plasma, based on what I've seen so far. Something like a PW6, though, offers a size and quality improvement.

6. christhedon

christhedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm in the exactly the same predicament.The tosh versus some plasma....

Keep me posted with what you do and why. Thanks. Chris.

7. INchSHOrT

INchSHOrT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    36ZP48 m8, all the way!!!

Reason for me swaying towards the CRT was because of its built in 5.1 set-up, all the rear connections you could possibly want, whereas these are extras on plasmas.

to get the pic quality of this set on a plasma, u talking at least 2 thousand more than u got to spend....

8. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are interested, I may be able to put you in touch with someone who is selling a mint low use (1000 hours) Panasonic TH42PWD4 for a good price (much lower than your budget price).

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your real dilemma is that the cost of a top plasma system is still quite a bit higher than the CRT. To approach the PQ levels you need probably one of the hi def panels, and some fairly serious add ons. Then the weedy little home cinema system that seemed so great with your old telly is a bit undewhelming with the new big screen, and you need some video switching so the family can operate it, there's another £1k spent. It's not cheap, this lttle hobby.

10. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I had the 36" Toshiba 'Picture Frame' TV for about two years. I choose it because it was one of the best pictures combined with price. The picture was always good & I was well pleased with it. Around 2 months ago after looking for months & reading several forums I bought the 37" Panasonic Viera. At the time it was £2299.00 including a Panasonic E55 DVD-Recorder. The 37" is bigger than you imagine, bigger than a 37" CRT would be. I dissagree with people who say CRT is a better picture, I prefer my Plasma & EVERY person who has seen the Plasma is extremely impressed. Your price is the downside. My advice. Get the 36" Toshiba, you will be well pleased, take up weight lifting so you can get it in the house & expect your room to look smaller. Otherwise wait until you can afford a good plasma. One last very important point about plasma. Although you will use it for movies, most of the time it will be for normal TV & that's when cheap plasma's look at there worst, it is this very reason I went for the Viera as it looks good on everything.

11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,973
    Nonsense. CRTs have their drawbacks just like plasmas (just different ones), and personally I would go plasma every time.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    :rotfl: My arm is permanently damaged after carrying a 36" panny up 4 floors in a town house in Maida Vale. You think a plasma is heavy on the wall? think again. 28kgs for a 42", against 96Kgs for the tosh. Mind you, add in the weight of an Onkyo 801, set of 7.1 speakers inc sub, etc and it might be a close run thing!

13. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think somebody didn't mention my name earlier, so I should probably butt in at this point!

I'm pretty sure that one criticism that no-one around here would level against the (new) LG is that it looks dull. Stupid questions first, but was that really a 42PX11 that they had setup, or one of the older ones?

If it looked dull, then that is probably an issue with the setup. But that said, what looks dull in a very bright showroom, alongside lots of other very bright displays may not look dull in a normal living environment.

I would think very carefully before taking an ex-display deal. How long has the screen been in use? How hard has it been driven? What sort of life can be expected of the screen? Have you checked it for problems (ie. burn-in)?

You put as much weight in this as you like, but in the only published review we've seen so far, the LG 42PX11 was given a 'value' award - and that was based on a £2500 price tag, when it can actually be had for under £1500.