36'' CRT or a 36'' Plasma, which has best picture

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Ash007, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which should have the better picture, a 36'' CRT or a 36'' Plasma or should they both be the same?

Ash

2. David Hwang

David Hwang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CRT has better picture quality (better brightness and contrast),
    but it has geometric distortion problem.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,902
    CRTS suffer from geometry (as mentioned), convergence (the non-alignment of the 3 colours), magnetic interference (causing shape or colour changes), and, in most cases, instability due to poor voltage regulation (picture size varies with brightness). Plasmas do not.

A 36 inch plasma will be a couple of inches larger than a 36 inch CRT.

Plasmas have slightly poorer contrast/brightness (as mentioned) and, if viewed too closely, a coarser image structure (a more visible 'grid' of black lines separating the pixels).

In some cases, Plasmas have difficulty reproducing pastel colours or very dark, not-quite-black, colours, and achieve the necessary result by dithering (ie. instead of illuminating every pixel dimly, alternate pixels are illuminated slightly more brightly). Not normally visible at normal viewing distances, but visible if you get too close.

Which is better? A matter of opinion. If they weren't as expensive, I'd choose Plasma.

4. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In your opinion if u couldn't see the back of the tv and were sat at a normal lounge type distance (say 3m) would a regular Joe Bloggs be able to tell the difference. Would they know which was plasma and which was CRT ignoring the fact that one is flat and using tv's with the same Visible screen size.
    I know u say the contrast isn't as good. Is this very noticable or do u have to virtually squash your nose against the screen.

Cheers,
    Ash

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,902
    In MY opinion, speaking as one who has drooled over plasmas for some time, but never bought one........

The CRT problems - Geometry errors, convergence errors, colour staining due to stray magnetism or bad adjustment, and voltage regulation 'bounce' - are all visible, if they occur, at normal viewing distances. I find them intrusive. Joe Bloggs might not.

Most CRTs have their contrast and brightness set too high. A good plasma WILL produce a picture that, in this respect, is similar to a properly adjusted CRT.

The other artefacts of Plasmas (pixel grid, special treatment of pastel colours) will not be visible at normal viewing distances.

So, if price weren't the issue it currently is - I'd almost certainly go for a Plasma at present for a screen size of 36 inch in preference to CRT.

On the other hand, if LCDs came in bigger sizes than 24 inch......... but that's another story.

6. David Hwang

David Hwang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll choose Plasma as well. However, not a 36" Plasma,
    but a 42" one. :)