1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36" CRT choices?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mistuk, Nov 8, 2003.

1. mistuk

mistuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi folks,

My first posting to this board - although I've been 'lurking' for a while! I've got a Panasonic 32" 100Hz set that's around 3 years old (not sure of the model number). I'm wondering whether it's worth upgrading to a 36"?

I watch Sky Digital & DVD (no terrestrial or VHS), and use an XBox. Although my current DVD doesnt support progressive scan, I would like this feature (PAL & NTSC) for when I upgrade the DVD.

I was interested by the Panasonic PD30, but then read the number of problems with it!

The things I don't like with my current set:
    Only 1 RGB socket
    Colour convergence problems in corners
    Ghosting on av inputs
    slight "dirty screen" effect

The new Toshibas look nice, but I understand there are some JVC & Hitachi sets coming out. I don't particularly like Sony as a brand, but would consider them if that was the recommendation.

Anyway, enough rambling - looking forward to your comments!

Regards,

Kev

2. RoadhawR

RoadhawR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in exactly the same position. I've had my Tosh 32MW7DB a while now. It was repaired by a bunch of local cowboys recently and has not been the same since, though every one whose seen it, comments on a great picture, i'm convinced it's not as good as it once was.

I've been looking at the Tosh 36ZP38 because i like the thin bezel and Unbeatable are doing it with DVD and Video player!

Afaik it has 3 scarts but only 2 are RGB, grrrr, i can't believe there are still no sets with lots, 4-5, RGB scarts yet. I mean they add sod all to price of the set surely. Luckily though i have a 4 way switch box which is RGB capable.

I don't mind Sony TV's, I had a 28 before this one and i almost got a Sony 32. I like the Sony remote controls. They seem quicker than the Tosh which is awful, slow and oversized.

I haven't read any reviews of the Tosh yet so i would welcome some comments also.

3. john hannam

john hannam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just brought a Sony 36 FS 76 and i think its excellent. Got a good deal and service from the local Sony centre. The picture from Sky and from my Panasonic DMR-E100H is great, i love it :D

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    36PD30 has prog scan and YUV inputs for your Xbox or DVD as well as 2 RGB scarts! Excellent TV and slim design so although it is huge it wont deystroy your room!