35mm Street - Getting Closer..

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was about to add it onto the end of the last thread, but realised I was out with my 35mm! manual focus lens, so practiced prefocussing it. Manual settings were f16, 1/1000, auto-iso

I move the camera around quite quickly and I am prone to press the shutter whilst the camera is still moving - so high shutter speed to eliminate impatience blur

Ironically this is your best series of street. Hands down easily. Just shows shooting wide and close can get you some amazing shots

Nice set Dan - 1st shot is clearly the standout for me but I also like 2,3,4,7 and 8 :)

I'm with Jim....great series....#1 is exceptional, great framing, well spotted, love it!!

Terry
Nice set Dan - 1st shot is clearly the standout for me but I also like 2,3,4,7 and 8 :)

Yep, some of your best shots. 4 is absolutely superb, even taking into account it's probably the least sharp.

1 is also great.

Yep, some of your best shots. 4 is absolutely superb, even taking into account it's probably the least sharp.

1 is also great.

I see that as a perk of street photography :D it adds character heh

I see that as a perk of street photography :D it adds character heh
I agree, doesn't detract at all. In fact I think it adds to it :)

Edit: Finally looked at this set on the laptop. Cracking, really do like 4 :)

Last edited:
Dan with this type of shooting have you just got the MF set at the hyperfocal distance and then don't touch the focus again allowing you to snap away without worrying about it knowing that everything should be in focus?

Dan with this type of shooting have you just got the MF set at the hyperfocal distance and then don't touch the focus again allowing you to snap away without worrying about it knowing that everything should be in focus?

I see my subject, then decide how close I'm going to take the photo - 0.7 meters, 1.5, 3, or more... Then I preset the focus for that distance.

Sometimes I chicken out and get an OOF shot because I didn't get as close as I had planned :D

I see my subject, then decide how close I'm going to take the photo - 0.7 meters, 1.5, 3, or more... Then I preset the focus for that distance.

Sometimes I chicken out and get an OOF shot because I didn't get as close as I had planned :D
Ok numpty question of the day. To prefocus at a given distance do you use a different target to manually focus on which is going to be within a similar range, or do you have a gauge or something on your lens that tells you what distance you're focussing at?

Ok numpty question of the day. To prefocus at a given distance do you use a different target to manually focus on which is going to be within a similar range, or do you have a gauge or something on your lens that tells you what distance you're focussing at?

I have a gauge on my lens, it also shows you the DOF at certain apertures too :)

Another good set. LOVE the E-Type. Police shot is a cracker too, kudos for taking that :)

I have a gauge on my lens, it also shows you the DOF at certain apertures too :)
How would us with less sophisticated lenses do this? I assume you could do what I suggested though, setting your camera to the hyperfocal distance and then just fire away?

9,12,16,17 and 18 from these Dan - good stuff :)

Just looked at that E-Type of Flickr. I could easily see that going in a Jag mag/book, proper pro looking innit :)

How would us with less sophisticated lenses do this? I assume you could do what I suggested though, setting your camera to the hyperfocal distance and then just fire away?

Yes you work out the hyperfocal, focus on something at that distance and then switch to manual focus.

However that won't get in focus close ups, and if you then focus on something closer for those - then it won't be good for slightly further away.

When taking photos I watch the gauge and just roll it gently as the subject approaches to try and keep focus as they get close.

buy a manual lens....

Any recommendations for the Olly?

Yeah - don't get it wet ;)

But seriously the world is your oyster just have a look for a cheap MF lens in pretty much any mount you fancy and buy an adapter...

Yeah - don't get it wet ;)

But seriously the world is your oyster just have a look for a cheap MF lens in pretty much any mount you fancy and buy an adapter...
So there's no MFT mount ones then? I wouldn't know where to start looking at MF lenses, and knowing which are good. Maybe should look at Sony/Minolta and kill two birds with one stone.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom