35mm SLR Advice required

jimbob19

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My daughter has just started a HND in photography and she has a nikon D40x already . however she requires a 35mm SLR also . I have been looking at Nikon F55 Camera bodies (seem quite cheap) will the nikkor lens from the d40x fit and work with this ?
Or does anyone have some recommendations (needs to be fairly cheap)

Thanks

:lease:

My daughter has just started a HND in photography and she has a nikon D40x already . however she requires a 35mm SLR also . I have been looking at Nikon F55 Camera bodies (seem quite cheap) will the nikkor lens from the d40x fit and work with this ?
Or does anyone have some recommendations (needs to be fairly cheap)

Any Nikon lens that has a "G" in the name was designed for a digital sensor that is smaller than 35mm film format. This means that, AFAIK, they will fit and work on the 35mm camera but won't fill the corners. (tunnel vision effect called "vignetting").
The 18-55mm lens that probably came with the D40x is unfortunately a "G" lens.
A cheap lens that will work is the 50mm f1.8. Link

Or try second hand or Ebay.
Nikon lens database here

HTH

Mike

I'm not sure that's strictly correct. I understood that 'DX' was the marking indicating that the lens is designed for the smaller digital sensor. 'G' type lenses don't have an aperture ring on the lens, and the aperture must be controlled from the body.

That said, the kit lens for the D40 is probably 'DX' anyway, so the vignetting problem still applies.

See if you can find an old Pentax Spotmatic or similar - should be able to get one fairly cheap and its a real classic SLR - great to learn on.

Funny, I was looking at an old Pentax MG with a plethora of lenses on eBay for <&#163;50. Was thinking back to the old days and how little I got for all my kit *sob*

Have a look around and buy a body with a couple of lenses, doesn't matter about the make for now and you will only lose a little [if anything] when it's time to sell.

I've just picked up a Nikon F75 on the classified section for £30! My nifty fifty should work fine with it and I'll see what the vignetting is like on my other lenses.

Personally, I'd look for a cheap FM2 or F3 body. She'll learn a lot about exposure, the college is likely to have extra accessories for them (screens/viewfinders/motodrives) and she'll also learn how to focus properly. So many people rely on AF these days - yet sometimes it's so much quicker and easier to focus yourself - and a useful skill to master.

I'm not sure that's strictly correct. I understood that 'DX' was the marking indicating that the lens is designed for the smaller digital sensor. 'G' type lenses don't have an aperture ring on the lens, and the aperture must be controlled from the body.

That said, the kit lens for the D40 is probably 'DX' anyway, so the vignetting problem still applies.

Yes sorry, I got my Nikon alphabet soup mixed up! I meant to say "DX" not "G"

On the subject of Nikon lens compatibility, the erudite Mr Rockwell has put together this little article: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility.htm
As usual, take Ken with a pinch of salt.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom