1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

350d

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by tomson, Mar 16, 2005.

1. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Just came back from window shopping and accidentally purchased a 350D kit. First impressions are...it's very small, very light and a little bit plasticy (but not as fragile feeling as the 300D). Will hopefully have a bit of a play with it this weekend - visiting a venue to meet some potential clients. Can't wait.

Thats all for now.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    You have to hate those accidental purchases

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    :rotfl:
    We'll be expecting an indepth review shortly then :smashin:

4. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi tomson, I sold my 300D about two weeks ago, by accident of course.;) And then accidentally found myself in Jessops buying a 350D last week. :D Haven't had much change to use it yet.

ASH1

5. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well folks, most of the country has been given a (little) bit of sun over the past week or two, has anyone been able to get out and about with their new toy :D

I've been bitten by the DSLR bug and this looks like an ideal introduction for me (allthough the current prices on the end of line 300d are VERY attractive).

Can anyone who has managed to get a bit of play time in report back on their experiences? Also, any views regarding compairing the new 350d to the outgoing 300d would be very helpfull to me, my current thinking is that the 300d might be the better one to go for since this is my first step into DSLR and therefore I wont have invested too much if I dont get on with it :lesson: ... but then a new model is a new model :D

Regards,
    Iain.

6. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    so far i'm very impressed with my 350d - image quality is superb, seems to have a similar low-noise-at-high-iso to the 20D, the metering is spot on, the AF is pretty impressive too, and everything is nice and responsive.

Downsides seem to be the build - or the feel of the build at least, feels a little less solid than i'm used to but i'm sure its going to be fairly durable. I wouldn't want to drop it though. Also, the small size may be a problem for some - can't say I find it a problem though, to be honest.

If you are venturing into DSLR on a tighter budget then the 300D might be a better bet - 7dayshop are knocking them out at a bargain price.

7. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Yeah, that's what's got me thinking... £399 body only or £450 inc. kit lens really are damn good deals...

...especially when I see the sort of results people like Johndm are getting with it :thumbsup: :smashin:

Regards,
    Iain.

8. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Iain, speaking as a person who owed a 300D and now has a 350D, I would advise anyone thinking of buying either to go for the 350D. It has so much more to offer over the 300D. If you haven't read it already have a look at this review http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos350d/

You can now pick up a 350D for £634.00 have a look on pricerunner.com.

ASH1 :smashin:

9. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Wouldn't it be interesting to see a direct comparison of the 300d and the 350, with the significant difference in price made up by the purchase of a nice lens for the 300D ... and maybe the 300d with the latest hacked firmware installed? BTW does firmware work with 350 too?

Let's say a budget of £650! Assume you get 300d body for £399 then that's £250 for decent lens. Good to see some objective side by side shots.

Personally, faced with the choice, I chose the 300d recentlyfor low price and as also I feel the 350 is too small in my hands for what I want it for, i.e. to hold a big lens for wildlife shots. Personal preference. Didn't see anything else in the 350 spec I was interested in ... maybe I missed something ;)

10. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
  12. john.hem

john.hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
  13. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just my luck! I bought the limited black version of the 300d at a little expense as i thought the silver model was very cheap looking (just my opinion). Then four months later they bring out a better model in black with a similar price tag as to what I paid. :suicide:

14. c75mitch

c75mitch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a bit of info, Jessops will price match 'CANON EOS 350D BLACK & EF-S 18-55MM LENS £634.99' from cameras2u if you take in a print of the page, I got mine on thursday. ;)