1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

350D packages - your thoughts please..

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by shoehorn, Sep 2, 2005.

1. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,
    I'm on the verge of buying a 350D so wanted people's opinons on this package please: click here!
    - is it good value?
    - can I get the equivalent elsewhere (for less!)?
    - should I get the body only and some different glass (for the same price!)?
    - any other thoughts (non-Nikon though - I've decided on Canon!)?

Thanks! :)

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd not go down that route, i'd buy them seperate, which will leave you more money for better lenses. Jessops will price match very close to web prices. It will leave with more money to get better lenses. The kit lens is ok but once i got better lenses is was a paper weight and the 55-200 is not the best of lenses.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photography/digital-cameras/331058/prices

3. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Register at RPoints and click through to Jessops and earn 1.5% cashback aswell - that will make it cheaper :)

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks seany,
    So... I could get Jessops to price match the body and the grip for £639 (let's say) leaving £260.
    I want to take pics of my family (the Mrs, a 5 year old and a 2 year old).
    Also some, let's say aircraft - for arguments sake (where's Johndm...??!!??) - as I'm off to Biggin Hill tomorrow!
    Any recommendations - I see there's an EF 50mm f1.8 MK2 that's highly recommended, how about something longer for the planes...? (I'd be left with about £200).
    :)

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 50mm is said to be the best bang for book lens around, i've got the 50mm 1.4 and it's never off my 20D. The 50 would be great for portraits ect. Personally i'd just get that and the body for now and do some serious lens research and saving up.

You'll soon find out that you're going to become a lens lover once you go down this road, so try and get it right first time as mistakes can be costly

John has a 100-400mm which right now is way out of your price range. You could get a 70-200L for £399 from onestopdigital.com it's still short really for aviation shots, but a fine lens

6. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was in the same position as you when I was thinking of getting the 350D in July, wondering weather the various package's about were good value.

Since I was allready sold on the 350D itself I did loads of research on the various lenses that were being offered and came to the conclusion that they just didn't have the ability to give me the options I wanted to have, or the quality that I wanted to get with my pictures (my reason for upgrading to a DSLR). Yes, you can get some good results with them, but only under certain circumstances it seems.

In the end I went for the 350D body only, from here:-
    http://www.ajelectronics.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?Prod_code=Canon EOS 350D Digital Ca (£535, terrific service)
    I then was lucky enough to pick up a mint (and sharp) Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 from a fellow forum member at a nice saving over the RRP, and I'm now saving for a nice long zoom.

I'd follow what seany has posted and go the seperate route... Yes, you'll pay more at the start and it'll take a while longer to get everything you want, but it works out cheaper (and less limiting) in the long run IMO.

Regards,
    Iain.

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I pointed him in the direction of the 28-75 to Ian, when we spoke in pm along with a 70-200 F.4L. He'd get by with the Tamron very well while he saves for the 70-200.

But i think he's gone for a price match on a 350 and a nifty fifty which is not a bad choice.

8. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Personally I'd hold off buying the grip and put the cash towards a better lens - neither of the two in the jessops package are up to much and you'll soon be itching for an upgrade.

9. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not a bad choice at all seany, I almost went that way myself untill condyk decided to sell his Tamron which I just couldn't pass up! :D I might still pick up a nifty fifty someday for that extra low light ability but the f/2.8 on the 28-75 is good enough for what I'm using it for at the moment.

I personally think that (along with the nifty fifty) the 70-200 L f/4 is probably Canon's best value lens. The quality of results I've seen from this lens are just fantastic and I'm sure shoehorn will be really happy with it if that's the way he decide's to go... he could allways get a x1.4 extender if he finds he's not getting enough reach for the odd airshow.

Regards,
    Iain.

10. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd second that aswell, the battery life of the 350D on it's own is very good.

Regards,
    Iain.

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So you ended up with Daves Tamron:)

I think our pals's gone in to jessops today, so lets see what he's come back with.

12. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I agree on the lens comments. If you get into this seriously you'll soon hit the limits of budget glass.

13. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Sorry guys, don't agree on not getting the grip. It gives a much better feel and balance to the camera IMO.

14. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is someone in the classified here selling a Canon 650 camera + 2 lenses - those lenses could get you started with a 350D body... and could later be sold on ebay as you replace them.
    Not checked the ebay prices but said to be offered at the going rate - sounds like a nothing/little to lose option.

15. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

A good buy in the long term ash, but on i budget i'd opt for glass to start me off.

16. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Well Seany, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one mate. ;) Still we all prioritize things in different ways.

17. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I did indeed m8, considering it was practically brand new, and with the sample shots he posted from it I just had to go for it... Great guy to deal with, very helpful too.

...saying that, the new 24-105 f/4 L IS looks like it could be very nice indeed and may be a possible upgrade in the future. :devil:

I'm not saying to not get the grip at all m8, in fact I intend to get one myself, but when first buying the camera when money's limited, I'd opt for getting a lens first before a non-essential item like the grip... after all, no lens, no pics ;)

The grip is just a bit down the que of things to get for me, but different things are more important for different people I suppose, I guess it just depends on his shooting situation.

Regards,
    Iain.

18. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

This is true Ash, and as you say it will give the camera a better balance. As i've not held the camera for more then a few minutes i guess you're more qualified to comment on it;)

But myself i think i'd go with what Ian said, a sure buy, but after some saving.

19. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The grip was the first thing I bought after the camera. Have you ordered your 5D yet Seany, you've been showing more interest than most. I see warehouseexpress are taking pre-orders. :devil:

20. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm caught Ash, it's my Birthday this month and i've got some dough to invest in some lenses. I could wait for the 5D, sell my 20D and keep what i have. But i think right now i'd do better with extra lenses.

I'm not keen on it being 3 fps i must say. Not that a shoot sports of course but i bought a dslr to cover the bases, even with the crop i can shoot anything with my 20D

21. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    the lenses will stay with you, the camera body can be changed later on If you need it, just keep away from EFS lenses which i think your doing anyway seany, which is all good :)

oh **** ive just posted again :oops:

**** **** **** **** :nono:

mental note: must not put asterisks in my posts, the powers that be dont like me using asterisks, espeicalling in sets of four **** :nono: :nono: :lesson: :cool: :beer:

22. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Nothing wrong with EFS lenses Mr J, you can always sell them on with the body. :)

23. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,312
    I have just dropped the price of some canon ef zoom lenses if anyones interested.There listed under EOS 650 kit for sale on the for sale forum.

24. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can't understand why it blanked out "oh DEAR i've posted again"

And "Gosh Sean boss pics "

25. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Out of interest, what lenses do you currently have now seany?

Regards,
    Iain.

26. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just the 85mm 1.8 and the 50 1.4 Ian. Hopefully i'll have about 1500 to spend this month on some lenses

27. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nice lenses m8 :smashin:

I think your right about going for more glass instead of the new camera, it'd be nice to fill out the range a bit, allthough that just depends on what you want to shoot... no point going for a big zoom if your a macro man :suicide: :D

Now your just left with what to get!!!... more primes, good zoom... decisions decisions :rolleyes: :devil:

Regards,
    Iain.

28. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    apart from the blatent lack of un-upgrababilty.... theres more than just the 20D etc camera and id like to know that if i bought ANYTHING now, that its upgradable and anything with EFS written on it is useless if i upgrade to anything above the 20D, which as far as im concerened makes them useless items that i wouldnt put my cash into, thus any lens that i purchase will be a bone-fide EF lens which i can attach to anything i buy without a problem, buying EFS is to me like buying Teng tools,
    they do the job but id prefer something like Snap-on that i know will do the job until the day i die! (any by the feel of the EFS lenses feel- in the hand- like im playin' with lesser tools)

atleast we know the resale value (and market) of EF lenses, i have a feeling that EFS lenses are gonna have alot less in the way of resale value as compared to there EF counterparts, they aint as good,

why go for silver if you can go for gold!

29. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    #

depends what you do, for me that often works whide open the extra stop or 2 of the primes is a real godsend (at gigs and seemingly at weddings to), buy the glass because at the moment glass is not gonna loose money, camera bodys are....

lens tech really isnt going anywhere great at the moment, camera body technology is still moving in leaps and bounds, so id prefer at the moment to spend my cash on something thats gonna maintain its resale value, rather than something thats not.

30. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    sometimes i even suprise myself at 3am after posssibly half a bottle of vodka :thumbsup: