• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

350D - Buy or wait?

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Are there any newer models on the horizon, this looks to be the best buy at the moment for a budget digital SLR.

Also, is Jessops the best deal at the moment with the 18-55 lens?

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Amazon have it for just under £500 with the kit lens.

Jessops will price match to around that price using their own sites as reference, these being www.cameras2u.com and www.shopping4cameras.com.

It's come down a fair chunk in the last week or so so if you like the camera and it feels right to use go for it. It would be worth looking at the Nikon D50 too as that is available at good prices, just depends what feels the nicest to use.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I have had a look at my friends 300d which is quite chunky as I have been used to using a finepix 6900 zoom since selling my EOS 1000FN so I don't mind if the 350D is a bit smaller, is there much in it?

senu

Distinguished Member
Jazz Monkey Jr said:
I have had a look at my friends 300d which is quite chunky as I have been used to using a finepix 6900 zoom since selling my EOS 1000FN so I don't mind if the 350D is a bit smaller, is there much in it?
:rotfl: ...there is enough to take decent photographs!

It could certainly do with a better "kit" lens but if you have the Canon lens from your EOS 1000FN it will fit.
TBH the 350D , Nikons :D50 D70 D70s and even the slightly more robust Canon 20D are despite thier differences, similar enough to move you to the league of much better Pictures than the point and shoot cameras when you decide to utilise them for that by using the advanced features. These are all justifiably popular cameras as they all seem to give good bang for buck in the DSLR market
Otherwise they can be used as expensive point and shoot cameras ( whichis not what you want !)

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
senu said:
It could certainly do with a better "kit" lens but if you have the Canon lens from your EOS 1000FN it will fit.

I sold my sigma lenses from the canon.
I was thinking about getting the 50mm f1.8 one aswell, and a zoom one at a later date.

Bristol Pete

I demoed both the 350D and the 50 at Jessops yesterday. Firstly the guy in Jessops in Bristol was superb. Could not fault him. Knowledgable, friendly, honest and overall decent and in no way forcing a sale down my neck.

Ran through the merits of both cameras, prices, deals and looked at the prosumer vs DSLR debate. In the end, I decided that I preferred the silver 350D as it simply felt better in my hands compared to the 50, like the dearer 70 model, it was a little to big for me to handle, yet I am not a small bloke (not a lard ass either :D )

I think I have made my mind up on the 350D and may buy it soon, I just need to make the decision from a decent Prosumer like the new Sony model over a DSLR as I am making the leap from keen amatuer to even keener amatuer and need to make the right purchase now. I have canvassed opinons in several shops and all say the same regarding PQ in that 'both' will give great pictures but DSLR will edge it and of course be inherently upgradable over the static prosumer lens.

What ever camera I buy is going to give me a massive leap in PQ. One thing I would say is that after buying several camera review mags, no two mags give the same opinion although they all suggest that the 350D is a quality DSLR.

Hope this helps.

Pete.:clap:

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Captain Benefit said:
In the end, I decided that I preferred the silver 350D as it simply felt better in my hands compared to the 50

I found that the colour made no difference whatsoever in the feel of the camera :laugh:

Seriously though, I tried both the D50 and the 350d and also found that the 350d was easier/more comfortable to handle. What it would be like with a bigger lens stuck to it I have no idea but with the kit lens it seemed very well weighted.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I definately think the 350D is the one for me, might go to Jessops and have a chat, looks like £599 is the best price for the USM lens kit with bag.
Any more good deals out there apart from amazon?

I found my friends 300D felt chunky having not had a SLR for a while.

senu

Distinguished Member
Go for it!...
Play with the kit lens by all means ( it is only £50) and see how you far go before the need for a better lens ( and flash, ) comes

The Camera ( all of them for that matter) works more happily with a nippy card. ( Sandisk Ultra, Extreme... that kind of thing)
If you will be taking raw at 8 megapixel ( or raw +jpeg) aim for a 1G card minimum. If you aim higher you may find that 2x 1G cards are better value than a 2G
Good Luck:thumbsup:

Bristol Pete

I found that the colour made no difference whatsoever in the feel of the camera

LOL...no what I meant is that the guy in Jessops said everyone buys the black citing the silver as cheap looking. I however prefer silver, but then I am a cheap MOFO.

Pete.

£note

:clap: Buy:clap:

Purchased mine 2 weeks ago on Ebay from a uk seller and never looked back:)

Suggest you go for the kit lense from Amazon so that you can get used to it and THEN decide which lenses you need - you can always sell the kit lense

Still learning all the things there is to do:)

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Jazz Monkey Jr said:
I definately think the 350D is the one for me, might go to Jessops and have a chat, looks like £599 is the best price for the USM lens kit with bag.

Thats the deal I looked at, but to be honest I shyed away as soon as they said it was only available in the silver finish, I want a black one.

Apparently, the USM lens doesn't actually have many advantages over the normal lens so that didn't seem to add much value and I'd rather choose my own bag when I decide what I need it to do. The deal appeared to be very good at first, indeed I posted it up, but on reflection I will be going for a sub £500 deal with a kit lens and get my own bag after.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the advice, is there any other lenses to consider apart from the standard one, I want a wide one (at least 18mm).
I may just get a black body and a seperate lens, I do already have a decent camera bag that I used for my video camera.

What is the best price for body only? I have seen £465 from HERE.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
TBH for the price (<&#163;50) the kit lens is a good one to start with.

You can still get the kit for less than &#163;500 (grr) so thats a good place to start.

Come on everyone, dive in - the DSLR water's lovely. And how can you enter March's competition if your camera can't even shoot 'raw' :p

add

Standard Member
Dilemas, dilemas.....

warehouse express - anyone used them before? £499 for the kit
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/index.cfm?photo/digicameras/Canon.html#350d

amazon £495
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos..._electronics-uk_8495466_2/202-8254215-9874268

purley gadgets £522, although was £512 last night...?
http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=736&gclid=CK3JweCvwYMCFRJWQgodIhhdaA

my local photo-optix (Reading Oracle) £529 in store and £559 on their website?!
http://www.photooptix.co.uk/digitalslr.html

bung an extreme III card in it - 1gb - £48
http://www.memorycards4less.com/products/details.cfm?PRODUCT=SDCFX3-1024-902
Or
bung a sandisk card in it - 2gb - £54 :eek:
http://www.memorycards4less.com/products/details.cfm?PRODUCT=SDCFB-2048-E10

Then get hold of a bag as and when i find one to suit, me/laptop/style/lenses?(getting ahead of myself now) etc

A few questions, if anyone has the knowledge to answer help is much appreciated at this stage. Mostly about the cameras buffer speed and my ability......
Am I right to assume a high speed card like the extreme III is going to make pretty much no difference to an amateur who wants to learn to take great, rather than just good point and shoot, photos?

I.e in our world of bigger is better, I'm errring towards the slower? sandisk 2gb card as then i can shoot more and get it wrong until i get it right and the speed difference won't really cause me that much of an issue? As (a) my ability to utilise the minimal speed benefit is negated due to my ability (b) the speed difference of the camera being able to actually transfer out of its buffer into the card in the 350d isn't that massive that it will impact me? Or can the 350d store images appeciably quicker with a quicker card. (by appreciably I mean will I notice it on a day to day basis?)

One more about battery life, I've been told by a few camera shop assistant types that the 350d will get through its battery by about the same time i've filled a 1gb card in it, therefore as i'm erring towards the 2gb sandisk at the moment are the "knock off" batteries such as a Hahnel NB-2LH Canon Equivalent's for about 50% of the price of a canon battery any good? (is it a case of you pay what you get for in a camera battery?)

senu

Distinguished Member
You dont ask for much do you?:)
The 350D compared to the D50 has as big a buffer as you will need. The sandisk ultra ( not extreeme : overkill) was tested with it in Jan 2006 edition of PC pro and it was found to continue shooting till the card filled up!( buffer never filled up)
The importance of a fast card is in the spontaneity to take pic quickly in rapid sequence and does not really affect single posed pics. Wildlife, sports , rapidly changing subjects ( eg if you are a paparazzi) benefit more from the combination of a large buffer and fast card. In every day use even in some of the situations just described Im sure youll more than get by
Simple answer: Dont worry about all that speed malarky : get a Sandisk ultra or even crucial and Just shoot !
The answer regarding the battery is a bit misleading. Too many variables affect battery life including use of flash, frequent use of LCD, raoidly changing focus,.frequency of use of burst mode among others
To say that the battery only last a 1G card is pure guess work. Could be more or less. suffice to say it has a very good battery life, spare battery is cheap, Battery charge up times are short. As for the alternatives you just have to suck up and see. All the makes have "lemons"!
I have a battery grip (takes 2) I havent needed to buy a spare . Took loads of fotos at a recent disneyland trip and never ran out during a typical day long shoot.
Take it one step at a time.. You can decide what you need next after you familairise yourself with the Camera and its peculiarities. All thses extras are always going to be there.

add

Standard Member
senu, cheers!

A sandisk ultra II 2gb it is and a cheapo second battery that can sit unused and for 15 quid will be there if i need it rather than me kicking myslef over a "round of drinks" vs a spare.

As for suppliers of the kit I think I need to find out a bit more concerning Canon's worldwide, if they offer it, warranty as I hope to be in canada in 3 weeks for a year, or wait and buy there.

md644

Just a couple of points about CF cards - the higher speed ones (Extreme/Ultra etc) also have a higher READ speed, so if you use a card reader to download to the Pc, the transfer will be faster.
Also, check out this site (new to this forum, so not sure I will get it right), which gives performance of specific brands of CF cards for different cameras, might be worth a look.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

ush flynn

£note said:
:clap: Buy:clap:

Purchased mine 2 weeks ago on Ebay from a uk seller and never looked back:)

Suggest you go for the kit lense from Amazon so that you can get used to it and THEN decide which lenses you need - you can always sell the kit lense

Still learning all the things there is to do:)

You would find it difficult to sell that kit lens though as it only works on the 300d, 350d and 20d (possibly the 10d) no film cameras and no higher range dslr's (although anyone with a camera better than a 20d isnt going to want a plastic mount 18-55 P.O.S) And anyone with one of the cameras that DOES use the lens, will very likely have one already or have a better lens.
Plus i hear that it costs canon somewhere near $4 to make

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member

£note

Ush Flynn

Point taken, however, for what it costs it is useful for people on a learning curve until they decide what realm of photography interests them:)

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
stevegreen said:
They have big signs outside the shop in Cannock saying Internet Beating Prices on DSLR's.

How strange :confused:

I rang them up Cannock and they said they haven't got the sign any more as a lot of internet companys are source non UK stock (Amazon are show Pixmania which is French)
The Cannock store said they would give a 10% discount if you bought a memory card from them, so you could get a 1GB standard card for £60 and get £60 off the camera (free card) or their extreme 100 speed card for £94.99 (effectivly costing you £34.99)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom