1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32zp48 type of fault name needed

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by asbrins, Oct 27, 2005.

1. asbrins

asbrins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the above set for nearly a year now and it has been excellent. However, last week I believe some thing started to go wrong and I would like you buffs out there to see if you can give me clues as to what it might be.

I would be watching the TV and then quite a loud 'crack' would come out of the speakers and the picture would instantaniously go off and on with a white flash.

I can only describe the noise as like an electrostatic discharge, like you get from your car door, only louder!

Last night the TV did this about 4 times and you get quite a fright when it happens as it is quite loud.

I have also noticed an electrical clunking noise when scrolling up and down in the audio select menu - this was not there before.

As I have had it less than a year I am going to report the fault back to where I got it from but I wanted to be a bit more technical than just saying I get a crack noise.

Thanks...

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    This sounds like a discharge across the spark gap on the PCB that plugs onto the pins of the tube or other spark gap associated with the EHT.
    The EHT fed to the tube can be as much as 25,000 volts (at low current).
    It may happen more when the room is moist/humid.
    I would call it a "high voltage discharge" .

Chris Muriel, Manchester

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    The technical name for the noise is "Arcing" (pronounced ARKING)...so just report the fault as "The picture goes off intermittently accompanied by an arcing noise".
    Good luck :)

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    My brain couldn't conjure up the term "arcing" - glad JayCee's memory is working better than mine today :)

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

5. asbrins

asbrins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris & Jaycee,

Many thanks for your replies. Will contact the supplier with that info and hopefully they will send an engineer round.

Regards...