1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32ZP48 Geometry problems..

Discussion in 'TVs' started by TankTopLover, Sep 20, 2005.

1. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    :( :( When i bring up the sky browse menu at the bottom of the screen,the sides are 'zig zagged' and not straight,i reduced the format to 4:3 and noticed that the edges of the screen were 'wonky'.

Whenever straight lines are on a dvd or tv program,i can notice it.

I called sound and vision uk were i got the set and they basically said that its skys broadcast that is causing the menu bar to be wonky and not the set?? However,the toshiba customer services dude said that he has the set and the sky menu bar is perfectly straight?

Am i being fobbed off here? Can someone else who has the set confirm that the sky menu bar should be dead straight?

Sound and vision said if they send out a technician and it turns out to be not a fault of the set then i would have to pay for charges etc :rolleyes:

Im at a loss now.....
    :confused:

Heres how it looks:

|
    |
    |
    |
    /
    \

2. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    can you please try reducing the contrast when displaying the menu bar. As this is very bright it may well be a power supply problem. So put the contrast of the sky box on low tv on low and bring the EPG up. Let me know how you get on

3. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Ok i will try that when i get home from work. ;)

4. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Reducing the contrast made no difference at all :(

I have emailed a fault form to sound and vision,only thing is,if the tech guy says its within the manufacturers guidlines,i will have to cough up £15 adminastration fee for sound and vision..PLUS the callout charge and time of the technician :eek:

Im nervous.

5. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    If no change with contrast then it is not anything to do with the power supply on the TV. What you described was a classic symptom of in-adequate PS for a CRT based set. I know for certain that on Sony TV's you have an adjustment called top & bottom trapezoid that may help for this type of distortion. Cant remember on a Toshiba

6. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
  7. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    It's clearly the set. Either get into service menu and try to sort it with DVE as a reference tool or make sure you get an engineer out and accept no tosh(ing) rubbish :)

Only one thing I can possibly think of before making any drastic adjustments is to make sure you have no magnetic objects like speakers or transformers that can create a magnetic field to near. This is I would make your first port of call before going further.

8. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    As previous poster said a copy of DVE will help you a lot. There is a link to get a couple of quid off it somewhere, I used it for mine but that was a couple of months ago. Search the forums for blah dve.
    regards,
    vnb

9. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Well i have the DVE dvd and have used it already,my settings and picture quality are great,its just the wonky sides :mad:

Service menu doesnt help as the 32" doesnt have geometry options like the 36" does.Adjusting picture settings doesnt change diddly.

10. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Thats for the 36"..a different service menu entirely...

11. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Yes but you access the settings in the same way. The settings suggested there are for a picture frame 2 model, and each model will be different. With a test card (there is a built in one) you can adjust the geometry settings.
    regards,
    vnb

12. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Well DVE should tell you whether you have straight sides in 14:9 and 4:3 modes.
    The 1:33 overscan grid is good for this and adjusting the overscan incorrectly can cause all kinds of wobbly lines.

There must be some settings for side adjustment or the TV would not be vertically straight at all. Whether this is achieved via access to another menu or adjusted the old fashion way via the deflection coils direct from the factory set-up line.

FWIW I saw a ZP48 Tosh instore with a bow outwards at the top right hand side when in 4:3 mode.

13. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I find the menu system in DVE very hard to navigate,could some kind soul tell me how to get the card up that shows geometry.Oh and its just what ive heard on these forums that the 32" has no geometry settings at all :(

14. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    The setting available on the 36 only in the feature mode is for a tilt adjustment. The service menu is accessed differently. It is designed for engineers and those confident to make those adjustments.
    A crt will never be perfect.

Per-sony-fied,they all seem have geometry issues which with time and effort can be sorted.It does show that Toshiba's qc dept don't seem to care what they send out. Other manufacturers standards for geometry are far better.

15. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    You need Chapter 12, Title 17,18,19 and 20 also chapter 15 title 2 and 3 would be useful.