1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32ZP48 4x3 picture set-up

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mitchgixer6, Jan 22, 2005.

1. mitchgixer6

mitchgixer6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry if this has been covered before, but I would like some help with this set-up for a friend. Thought this would be a good place to ask as I helped said friend choose his Toshiba 32ZP48 after reading all the views on here. Thanks!

The question is -: Is there any way to set which screen mode this TV set defaults to when recieving a 4x3 picture? Viewing through NTL so when set to auto the TV switches to wide when a 16x9 program is on. This is good. The only thing he would like it to do is go to Super wide when a 4x3 program is on.

I understand that the TV should go to 4x3 mode when a 4x3 prog is on as this is obviously the ideal picture shape. However he would like to utilise this excelent set and have a 4x3 picture fill the whole screen.

Not sure if this is possible with the Tosh, but I know I can set this on my JVC so was curious as to whether there was maybe a hidden menu that would offer this.

Any help much appreciated.

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    There is a format for resizing from 4.3 to full screen .However on my 32zp48 some older broadcast still leave small bars either side.Most programs work fine though.

3. jeremysmith

jeremysmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just bought the 32zp48 and have the same requirement (to auto switch from 4:3 to fullscreen). How exactly do you do this?

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, my OWN views are. If you are watching on analogue then the transmissions are always in 4:3 and there is no need to adjust the scan size. I am happy to watch 4:3 transmissions in 4:3 and so will get black bars down either side of the picture. If the originating material (programme) is in widescreen, ie 16:9 then the analogue picture will be 14:9 arced into 4:3 - you will not only get black bars on either side but also at the top and bottom of the picture.

However, I don't watch analogue transmissions - I watch digital via my Freeeview box. I have the 32ZP48 permanently in widescreen mode and have set my freeview box to feed the telly in widescreen mode. This way widescreen programmes are shown in widescreen and 4:3 programmes are shown in 4:3 in the centre of the picture with black bars either side. As I say, this is how I like to watch my telly. Others I'm sure will have equally valid different opinions. Regards, yt.