32ZP18Q shimmering wavey background?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by piquet, Apr 24, 2002.

1. piquet

piquet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I just had my Toshiba 32ZP18Q delivered and installed hurriedly this morning. I watch all TV via my Sky digibox and a reasonably good quality scart lead. The picture in general is very good, except for when a typical Sky blue background is displayed - then I get an interference pattern resembling waves on water. For example, when you change channel and the blue box comes up with channel info, the text is fine but the background has this shimmering wave pattern.

The installation guys thought it might be interference from the Mission 734 speaker standing 3 feet away - I though that unlikely, but does anyone have any other ideas ?

Thanks in advance - I have 7 days to decide whether to keep it or not!

Phil

2. piquet

piquet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right - ManU v Leverkusen live on ITV via Sky Digital with high quality scart connection. Wavy background, purple-green diagonal waves (not there on DVD playback). The lines on the pitch are jagged and the ball is almost diamond shaped.
    Is this what £1100 buys you these days ?????

This is going back from whence it came I feel

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Have you got your STB set to RGB and is the SCART going into AV1 (RGB) on your TV?

4. piquet

piquet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a million, I was beginning to think I'd made a big mistake, especially after going to a mates to watch the rest of the footie on his 4 year old widescreen TV and it was perfect.

The Sky box was set to PAL output - I'm surprised I got a picture at all. The wave pattern has disappeared and the whole thing looks a lot sharper.

Thanks again !

Phil

5. lesbruce

lesbruce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I recently bought by mail-order the above Widescreen TV. Although generally very pleased with it, I am a little concerned about picture distortion especially evident in 4:3 mode. The vertical edges are not straight and there is some bending of vertical images (eg walls lamposts etc) esp near the top of the picture and with a bright background. I have heard that this is not uncommon but is it acceptable?
    The problem is not so evident on widescreen/cinema modes since the picture edges are hidden by thr casing, but occasionally if there is lateral movement or high contrast eg a beam of bright light across the picture this can cause movement of the edges and/or vertical images especially in the top 3-4 cms of the picture
    I've had anew aerial put up but still there is a problemIs this similar to yours?

Les Bruce

6. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Les,

your problem is caused by poor geometry set-up on your TV. How severe is the problem? A few mm bending in normally considered acceptable. This problem is normally hidden by the edges of the TV casing for 4:3 televisions, but watching a 4:3 images on widescreen TVs exposes the bending image edges.

If it's severe then you should be able to get an engineer to adjust it for you under warranty. It is possible to access a service menu to adjust it yourself, but it's not recommended if you don't know what you're doing as you could end up making the problem a lot worse.

Cheers,
    John

7. lesbruce

lesbruce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Thanks i'll get on to the supplier and hopefully they'll be able to send a local engineer I don't relish sending it back!

Les

8. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lesbruce/piquet

I've just received my 32ZP18P(B) . As I was kind of expecting, the picture through the tuner is not that great. I don't mind the whites (other people seem to find these over-bright) but the actual picture is very "noisy" or rather grainy. My RF is connected through my VCR and so is getting boosted. The picture is much better with the VCR turned on though (fed via SCART) but I tend to get a bit of interference on some channels (ghosting - probably due to my crappy VCR or SCART cable). I would prefer not to have to use the VCR if I can get away with it.

I was just wondering if the Q model has a better tuner over the P? Have you guys tried the analogue tuner on your sets at all? I'd be interested to know what the quality was like.

The only differences I know of between the P and Q are the different teletext chip giving you subpages instead of dual screen, different remote and slightly different menu organisation. Are there any others you know of?