1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32ZP18P or KV32FQ75?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Michael S Goodman, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Michael S Goodman

Michael S Goodman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't decide which TV to buy.

I want the TV with the best picture quality as I'll be hooking up a separate sound system.

The Tosh looks fabulous but I have read about various picture problems. Also, I will be watching a lot of sports on Sky digital and am concerned about 100 Hz problems E.G. smearing, digital blocking etc.

I am siding towards the Sony because it has the option of switching to 50 hz (for sports). However, the Sony has only one RGB scart whereas the Tosh has an RGB scart and component video inputs. If I go for the Sony, I'll need some sort of RGB switching box and I'm concerned this will affect the quality of the signal. (or is it possible to get a DVD player with 2 RGB scarts one of which I can daisychain my sky digibox through?)

Can anyone offer any advice?

2. Michael S Goodman

Michael S Goodman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I has another look at the 32FQ75 today but the picture wasn't as sharp as the 32ZD09B which was next to it. No matter how much I altered the settings on the Sony, it judt didn't look right.
    Some advice from someone please! - I can't decide. :confused:

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MSG

"I can't decide which TV to buy"

Been there - don't want to go back for a while.

"The Tosh looks fabulous but I have read about various picture problems"

A coupe of people have had problems but I think you'll find problems with ALL big WS teles, my view is that you're lucky if you get one that doesn't need an engineer's visit - particularly if, like most of us here, you're pretty fussy. For what it's worth, I've got the Tosh 36ZP18P it's perfect and believe me, I am a fussy b*s*a*d - ask the wife.

“I will be watching a lot of sports on Sky digital and am concerned about 100 Hz problems”

I was definitely NOT going to buy a 100hz set - until I did!!! I'm not really noticing any problems at all with sport - tried it with the Rugby the other day and tennis last night just as a test and looks fine to me. Can't say whether there would be a problem with SKY ‘cos I've got NTL Digital but it's fine on that and through the Ariel.

“Sony has only one RGB scart whereas the Tosh has an RGB scart and component video inputs. If I go for the Sony, I'll need some sort of RGB switching box and I'm concerned this will affect the quality of the signal”

I now have a DVD player with Component so the Tosh is ideal but my old DVD player only had scart so I got an RGB manual splitter from www.lektropacks.co.uk for about £30 used that to connect NTL and DVD and found no reduction in quality at all. Was a bit of a pain switching it but in reality you have to go over to the player to put the disk in so what's the harm in flicking a switch at the same time?

“I has another look at the 32FQ75 today but the picture wasn't as sharp as….”

I has a Sony prior to the Tosh and was never that impressed with it although like you, Sony was on my final short list. I've had Toshibas before and have always been happy with them and then for me the final decider was the unbelievable deal on the Tosh from QED (£1364 for a 36” with DD).

I think you get to a point where you have to just say bo11ock5 to it and go for it. The more you read the harder it gets one person thinks such and such is brilliant, another thinks it's crap – all I can say is that IMO the Tosh has a superb picture and I doubt anybody looking at mine could honestly argue that there's anything much better – but they will!!!!!!!

Good luck
    OG

4. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting the 32FQ75, its meant to produce a picture 4 times higher resolution than normal TV pictures because of its digital processing so I imaging the picture is as good as it gets for a non HDTV.

The sets in the shop probably werent set up very well as usual, and probably didnt have the same quality connection to the aerial. You should get a demo of it with the same dvd in each then you can see the difference in picture. I saw men in black on the sony and its the best looking tv picture i have ever seen (and I have men in black on dvd with a sony 21" trinitron and a 32FX65 which is being replaced for the FQ75).

5. Lawrence

Lawrence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What was wrong with the 32FX65? I really like mine. Please reassure me you just not buying a new £1500 TV when you've got an £1000 one!
    Lol

6. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The remote stops working when the dvd player is turned on, loose connection or something inside the tv.

I play more dvd's than anything else and the majority of mine are R1 so the digital processing on the FQ75 will help get rid of ntsc lines and should make everything look the bestest ever. and I get it for £1350

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the Tosh from John Lewis on a price match, and if you don't like it they will take it back or swap it for the less good sony. As I understand it, the 50 to 100 hz switching feature on the Sony is a bit of a gimmick. I have no 100hz problems with the Tosh and those tennis balls were moving fast.

Yep, I'm another happy owner of a 32" Tosh.

8. lewy

lewy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I'm awaiting a KV32FQ75 - and can't wait - I've got it on order with Allders for £1339 inc. free delivery and five years parts and labour warranty.

I've watched footie on it in Comet and it looked good to me no blocking nor artifacts.

With regards to the RGB Scart issue his a quote from Sony UK whom I asked the same question of - "As far as R.G.B. inputs are concerned you should be able to daisy-chain
    a scart connection to the R.G.B. input on the television using the spare
    scart socket from 1 of your other units. Please call us on 08705 111 999
    if you need further information on this."

It has a dual tuner so you can watch two channels at once should you feel the need - handy for Teletext on one side and TV on the other.

Also capable of Level 2.5 teletext which will be available soon.

Good luck with your choice - Buy from Allders or similar and quote a price from Unbeatable or similar.

9. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lewy the unbeatable price on the website doesnt actually include delivery so I guess I will just not mention that when I ring up :D

I think john lewis offers a 5 year guarantee, I assume its also for parts and labour?

And how long do allders take to deliver it, I have heard john lewis take a while and since I will have no tv from tomorrow I need it without waiting weeks.

10. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    firstagent01, the 50/100hz switching option on the sony is not a gimick, in the 50 hz option the TV doubles the number of scan lines in the picture giving a higher resolution and it effectively removes the little black lines you get when watching NTSC dvd's on a large pal tv, in the 100hz mode it uses the standard number of scan lines for a slightly steadier image. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

11. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm john lewis quiting earliest 10th july to deliver fq75, cant get through to allders yet but according to their website delivery on tvs > 14" is 2-6 working days, they also do 5 year guarantee so providing they price match and have it in stock it looks like allders.

12. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lewy, how did you get allders to match 1339?

I rang the ilford store just now and was told they only price match with a 5 year guarantee if the other store also offers the 5 year guarantee otherwise they charge for it. I told them unbeatable.co.uk do it for 1339 but they said i need to print off the page with the tv on it for that price and bring it in to them.

Also did you have to go into the store? and which store did you order it from? If I can get the same deal you got then I'll do it with them.

Thanx

13. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ER, just rang john lewis to get a price match on the 32FQ75 and she told me they would send me a letter, it takes 5-7 days?!?!?!

I told her people are normally called back half hour later after its been checked and she said the people who check it arent working today???

Has anyone else done a price match on saturday and been called back the same day?

14. Michael S Goodman

Michael S Goodman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice. Has been most helpful.

Well I spent most of the week deciding. Thought seriously about getting the rear projection Tosh 40WH08B but eventually have gone for the Tosh 36ZP18P. Waiting for delivery next weekend.

I'm also going to get the SD 210 E dvd player. Any ideas about the best connections?

I was thinking of getting the QED AV21 scart to connect the sky box to the RGB scart on the TV. If i'm right that transmits sound also - (the AV41 is picture only which would be no good if I want to use the sound from the TV).

I know that for the DVD the component video inputs are definitely the best connections. Does anyone know if these can be used to connect the sky box to the tv? Also, do they carry sound as well as pictures?

15. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    component inputs the best, is this right?

I thought rgb scart was the best?

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MSG

I've got the 210E connected to the Tosh via Component (just using the ones supplied with the DVD from Techtronics) this caters for the picture but you'll then need an Optical or Dig Coax for the sound. I'm using a £20 Optical lead from Curry's 'cos I was in a rush - results are stunning.

I've got NTL Dig connected to the RGB scart using a fully wired lektropacks lead (£20ish?), again results are excellent.

Enjoy
    OG

17. lewy

lewy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ewok,

I just took a printout of the web page from the Unbeatable site, to Allders - The salesman just filled in a price match form for me, and even said that as I'd have to wait then he'd give me 12 months interest free credit - maybe the Ipswich branch are more friendly and customer orientated?

Good Luck.

18. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well, I just this minute placed my order with john lewis, it's comming next tuesday.

Dont have the price match details yet but they said I can do the price match after anyway and they just refund the difference.

19. lewy

lewy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the normal way most shops do it, but the guy at Allders was very helpful and did it whilst i waited - I get mine on Saturday, so I'm looking forward to watching the cricket and rugby in split screen splendour! :)

20. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wanted to watch the tennis on it :(