1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32ZP18P centre speaker in 5.1

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Willie, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Willie

Willie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried to check all other threads (and there are a lot on the Toshiba 32pz18p) bu ti havent found one about this problem. Just got mine and am wowed by it. i dont have any of the common problems listed elsewhere, but the info on setup has been very useful.

I am playing a DVD using DD5.1 but get no sound from the centre speaker. i believe this channel is used mainly for dialogue, and i have to say the dialogue is quiet. the DVD player is plugged into EXT3 scart, and I'm using optical digital audio. The TV recognises the digital audio OK. I have selected "theatre mode". when i run the speaker test the centre speaker works fine.

The DVD definitely supports 5.1 according to the box, but it is a remastered old classic "Close Encounters of the 3rd kind" - dont know whether that could be a factor.
    any ideas?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Willie, if you;re getting the option to select Theatre whilst palying a 5.1 DVD the TV's not receiving the digital sound signal. If it was you should get a reading on the TV of 3/2.

Have you set the TV up to marry the digital sound input up to the scart 3 picture? I can;t remeber how to do it now, seems so long ago but perhaps DoubleD or one of the other proud ZP owners could oblige.

Cheers
    OG

ps you won;t get the best picture via scart 3!!!

3. Willie

Willie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OG, thanks for comments. i did suspect that the DSP modes should not be available while running 5.1 mode. I did set up Digital-input 1 (optical) to refer to EXT3 as you mentioned, so that doesnt seem to be the problem.

Regarding scart into EXT3 from DVD, this is what the user manual recommends. the picture seems great to me. how could i make it better? should i be using component video into EXT4?

Follow-up question: does component video require a special cable or can i use a conventional 3-phono (red/yellow/white) composite video and stereo audio cable? I tried to set it up with this cable but it didnt work, and before i look elsewhere for the problem i wanted to check this out.

cheers
    Willie

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Willie

AV4 component should give you the best result (although some argue only as good as RGB scart - AV1 on Tosh)

If you've got component on your DVD player I would use it.

I've got a Tosh SD210 connected via the standard red/yellow/white cable supplied with the player and it's spot on.

I remember when I set mine up origionally that I had this problem of getting the DSP options. It seems sooo log ago that I can't rememebr exactly but I think it was down to the DVD setup and whether it was outputting PCM or Bitstream.

Found this thread that may (or may not) help http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=28822&referrerid=7550

Cheers
    OG

5. nickyourtv

nickyourtv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im getting a 32ZP18 soon and wanted to know if I can connect my DVD up to Ext1 (RGB) and use a digital input for sound. As everything I have read has said that you need to use Ext3 or Ext4 (component) to link them up with a digital sound cable.

So does this mean I cant use RGB input if I want to a seperate audio cable:confused:

6. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    nickyourtv
    you can connect your scart to any input - 1,2 or 3.Then all you do is make sure the digital input matches this i.e.connect scart to EXT1(recommended) then set digital input to EXT1 also.

7. Willie

Willie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OG you put me on the right track. It turned out to be a different problem which i solved by reading the thread you sent me to.

i realised that to get 5.1 sound i need to have the DVD output bitstream rather than PCM. only on my DVD its called RAW instead of bitstream. once i changed this the 5.1 audio is fine.
    my manual is a disaster but then its not a rolls-royce model.

thanks for the help

8. nickyourtv

nickyourtv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ron 240

Thanxs for clearing that up :D For a while I thought I might have to sell my DVD & get one with component inputs. (only just got pioneer 545 last month!)

Nick